Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Did you mean "wiredly" broadcasting stereo through dorky-looking low fidelity (white) ear plugs? We're talking about an iPhone here, right?
    I prefer Shures.

Scrolling is among the simplest and most fundamental of all features. If the iPhone scrolled like that, I'd return it; they don't advertise A2DP, but they do advertise scrolling. So does HTC. Bad HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    And serves to divert from the topic of the thread -
    you know this better than anyone!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Absolutely. I can touch it all I want and unlike the iPhone, it doesn't react randomly to inadvertent brushes of the screen. I can also completely control the Q-series without ever touching the screen - A2DP, OBEX, Sling, Office Editing, cut/paste, film a video - you know, the things the iPhone still seems incapable of.
    funny
    oh...and because "Mal and Dieter" said so.

ok
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Regardless, because of Qualcomm's chips and HTC getting caught with their pants down, I'm not exactly sure how this gets Apple off the hook for not adding somethng as simple as A2DP (plus mms, copy/paste, tethering, gps navigation, multitasking, etc.). So while a clever diversion it's hardly an excuse for Apple--after all, aren't they supposed to be so much better than the competition? Why make excuses for them?
    Well I suppose that was directed at me as I brought up the HTC driver issue. It arose naturally out of the discussion I think - Surur first introducing a comparison of iPhone and Tilt and oalvarez comparing the why one might buy either device. Seems to me the driver problems are a major consideration in considering buying a Tilt.

The description of this forum says:

Treo vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone."

Neither the iPhone nor the Tilt are my smartphone (I have a Nokia E61) but I do think talking about another device in a thread initially (and by title) about the iPhone is ok by this description.

Why make excuses for them?
    I don't know why you think discussing a major problem for another manufacturer is making excuses for Apple. It clearly isn't. I made my view on Apple and A2DP pretty clear I thought in a previous post in this thread (#18):

'There obviously are people for whom all the downsides of A2DP headphones are outweighed by not having a cord and Apple probably should cater for those folks (it's just another profile after all), but I'm certainly not one of them. If the battery life and audio quality issues (especially related to the fact that headphone choice is very limited) could be resolved and they could shrink the things down a bit I'd consider, but not as the technology currently stands.'
    Last edited by marcol; 06/16/2008 at 01:18 AM.
    marcol, actually my post wasn't directed at you per se, nor is there a problem with bringing up the htc/qualcomm issue either, I was just trying to put some perspective on that issue (it is an important one)and bring it back to Apple and a2dp. For myself, I see these as two separate problems, mostly because the htc one involves them having to pay qualcomm a licensing fee per phone whereas AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Apple$ ($nor$ $anyone$ $else$) $has$ $to$ $pay$ $a$ $licensing$ $fee$ $for$ $a2dp$.

my critique of the iPhone has always been the same: stop crippling such a powerful device ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Actually I believe it was Olvaerez who brought up the Tilt, claiming one needed such a thick device to do A2DP.

Surur
    ^ no, just saying that a device that is 3/4 inch thick should come packed with as many features as you listed in your message.

and if you go back, you will see that is was YOU who brought up the HTC devices, and RAZR for that matter!

nice try
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    marcol, actually my post wasn't directed at you per se, nor is there a problem with bringing up the htc/qualcomm issue either, I was just trying to put some perspective on that issue (it is an important one)and bring it back to Apple and a2dp. For myself, I see these as two separate problems, mostly because the htc one involves them having to pay qualcomm a licensing fee per phone whereas AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Apple$ ($nor$ $anyone$ $else$) $has$ $to$ $pay$ $a$ $licensing$ $fee$ $for$ $a2dp$.

my critique of the iPhone has always been the same: stop crippling such a powerful device ;-)
    Thanks for that. I agree they're not very related and also that the iPhone would be improved if it had some of the functions it currently lacks. My wish list though isn't exactly the same as that most people come up with.

Things I don't care much about (from a personal use perspective) and don't particularly care if they add:

A2DP. See my comments above.

MMS. I've had phones capable of MMS for several years and I've received one message and sent none. The one I received was a photo mangled by severe resolution reduction.

Copy and paste. Again, every phone I've owned since a Treo 270* (apart from a very brief spell with an iPhone) has been able to copy and paste and I've used it only rarely (not this year for instance). Still, it has been useful to me very occasionally and I'd place this well ahead of A2DP and MMS in my priority list.

*Treo 270>Treo 600>i-Mate JAM>Treo 600>Treo 650>MDA Vario II>Treo 650>Nokia E61>iPhone>Nokia E61

Document editing. Ditto - had it for years but rarely used. Might be a different matter if there were a full-size BT keyboard but even then the screen is still a bit small for extended work (IMO).

5 M pixel camera. My current phone doesn’t even have a camera so my priorities should be clear here. Cameras on phones are nice to have for a quick snap but with little lenses and sensors they’re probably not going to be very good for years yet, and bigger lenses and sensors just make for bigger devices and that’s not a compromise I’d like to make. If I want a decent picture, I have a DSLR.

Front facing camera for video calls. I do use the camera in my laptop for Skype video calls when abroad, but not often and I doubt I'd miss it if it wasn't there. Anyway, it is there if I need it so I don't need it in the iPhone. If Apple added it to the iPhone I very much doubt I'd use it.

Things I would like Apple to add:

Wireless syncing. Originally I envisioned this as automatic syncing of everything with a desktop machine over a local Wifi network, but the Exchange and MobileMe announcements obviously change that a bit - the syncing of PIM data (and photos in MM) wherever you are is obviously much better than just local syncing. Neither Exchange nor MM syncing, however, includes all the other media stuff (music, video, podcasts etc) and I'd still like to see a wireless solution for those. Podcasts at least should be doable over a cellular network as well as locally or via the internet using Wifi (Nokia for instance has an app that does most of that). Syncing video anywhere in the world would be good too (EyeTV records a TV program and dumps into iTunes at home, it syncs, and I watch it in a hotel room or on flight 5000 miles away).

To-do app. Yes I know there will be a dozen from third parties, but there really is no excuse for Apple not doing this themselves.

File transfer and viewing - the ability to have the device appear as a drive for file transfer, to be able to transfer files directly to it, organise them into folders and view the files on the device. I don't need full access to every system file, just a folder (with sub-folders) into which I can put files I want to carry around with me. Preferably, transfer would be wireless (could be 'Back to My Mac' for iPhone?) I know you can get around this now by emailing a file to yourself and keeping the email, but that's just silly (and very unApple).

Sat nav. Proper turn-by-turn realtime navigation (a la TomTom and the like). Actually I don't need Apple to add this themselves necessarily, I just want them to allow third parties to do it (there's some debate as to whether they will or won't).

Templates in SMS and email. Templates are what Nokia calls bits of stored text that can be added quickly to SMSs (they're also in the Palm SMS app, though I can't remember their name there). Some of my text messages are compose entirely of these. (And no, it hasn't escaped my notice that this is a form of pasting!)

Video recording. I nearly put this in the 'don't care' category above, but actually I have a couple of videos taken ages ago with my Treo 650 of which I'm very fond so I've included it here. Not a major priority for me though (as said, my current phone doesn't have any camera at all) but nice to have on occasion.

There are of course a couple of other things I'd like to see but these will likely be covered by third party apps (an ebook reader is probably top priority; VoIP would be nice). Overall though, I think the 3G iPhone looks like a pretty good proposition for me (as long as it doesn't have the disastrous reception problems (on O2) that caused me to return the first gen device). Yes there are things I'd like to see added, but actually I'd probably swap everything on the list above for another 16 GB of memory (except maybe for the sat nav). Basically I see it like this: the iPhone has the core features I've always valued in a smartphone - phone calls, PIM, SMS, email and web browsing - and it adds in great media functionality (much better than any comparable device I think, at least for me), out of the box Mac syncing, and great integration with the whole Mac-based media/entertainment thing - iTunes music, podcasts, video, film, EyeTV etc). Currently I carry a smartphone and an iPod, and I definitely look forward to getting this down to one device. Add proper sat nav, and I'm Mr Happy.
    Last edited by marcol; 06/16/2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually I believe it was Olvaerez who brought up the Tilt, claiming one needed such a thick device to do A2DP.
    I think first mention is post #25 (one of yours).
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think this fixation with A2DP must be an American thing - I've never had a conversation about it with fellow users, I asked a friend who works in the flagship orange store and he says it never comes up, customers never ask about it.

Any other brits hear much about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think this fixation with A2DP must be an American thing - I've never had a conversation about it with fellow users, I asked a friend who works in the flagship orange store and he says it never comes up, customers never ask about it.

Any other brits hear much about this?
    If you go to the Amazon UK site and the headphone section (Electronics & Photo › Portable Sound & Vision › Headphones) and sort by 'Best selling' the first A2DP headphones in the list, Sony DRBT21GBs, are in 111th place, so I guess BT headphones are not big sellers. That doesn't measure non-headphone uses of A2DP of course.

EDIT. On the Amazon US site the first BT headphones, Jabra BT620s, are 65th on the 'Best selling' list. Higher, but still a long way down.
    Last edited by marcol; 06/16/2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    If you go to the Amazon UK site and the headphone section (Electronics & Photo › Portable Sound & Vision › Headphones) and sort by 'Best selling' the first A2DP headphones in the list, Sony DRBT21GBs, are in 111th place, so I guess BT headphones are not big sellers. That doesn't measure non-headphone uses of A2DP of course.

EDIT. On the Amazon US site the first BT headphones, Jabra BT620s, are 65th on the 'Best selling' list. Higher, but still a long way down.
    If you look at reality, and rank it by best selling, one can see that the iPhone only sold to 0.5% of people. Still a long way down.

Surur
    which rounds up to 1% which really isn't bad for a company who only started offering phone devices last year.

in all seriousness? i see them everywhere now....everywhere.

Treos? not so much.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234