Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wow, are those authentic? Is scrolling the web browser that slow? If so, that's unusable.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Wow, are those authentic? Is scrolling the web browser that slow? If so, that's unusable.
    I can't vouch for their authenticity nor for how typical they are. There are however very large numbers of users reporting the problems.
    A bit more. There's even a site set up in response to the issues:

This site is about the issues found on HTC devices using the Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset. These chipsets are brand new and support many features such as hardware accelerated video rendering, 3D rendering, video decoding and such. But the problem is HTC isn’t enabling any of these features in their software. To be precise they don’t ship any drivers for the MSM7200 chipset, as such most of the hardware acceleration features in the chipset are left for dead. The goal of this site is to make it clear that while HTC make fantastic products on paper, in real life many of the features and especially the performance is sometimes worse than much older products.
    http://www.htcdriver.com/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    As a Tilt owner, I know those issues are wildly exaggerated.

Surur
    the pot calling the kettle black.....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Have you seen this video:

That's under performance if even I saw it.
    That was actually some kind of IE scrolling bug which was fixable by replacing a dll. It does not actually tell you anything about the device or chipset.

So is this - comparison of a Kaiser with a much older Magician:

You imply Tilt users' expectations were unrealistic, but I'd argue it's pretty reasonable to expect this years model to at least match the comparable device from years ago, certainly not to vastly under perform it anyway.
    I did not say the new chipset was not slower. However it brought me great improvements besides speed, such as HSDPA and GPS.

Malatesta would be best to explain the nuances of the situation. As an end user I can say that while slow screen rotation is annoying, for the things I do on my Tilt it performs adequately.

Surur
    well, i guess if your expectations are low...
    well, i guess if your expectations are low...
    And serves to divert from the topic of the thread - Apple's refusal to ship drivers for their bluetooth chipset.

I see that petition is gaining ground also.
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/i...ignatures.html

Surur
    I gotta think being able to, for example, scroll text, is higher priority than wirelessly broadcasting stereo to dorky-looking low fidelity earphones.
    I gotta think being able to, for example, scroll text, is higher priority than wirelessly broadcasting stereo to dorky-looking low fidelity earphones.
    As is rotating the screen without becoming annoyed (on my priority list anyway).
    As is rotating the screen without becoming annoyed (on my priority list anyway).
    Rotating the screen takes 5 seconds instead of 1. I have streamed days worth of bluetooth audio.

I wonder,with the special effects on the iPhone, how long it actually takes to scroll the screen.

Surur
    In case anyone comes accross the thread and needs the fix, here it is.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=337521

Surur
    Rotating the screen takes 5 seconds instead of 1.
    I can see why you're annoyed. I'd have returned that device.

I wonder,with the special effects on the iPhone, how long it actually takes to scroll the screen.
    How long is a piece of string? In my brief period of iPhone ownership scrolling wasn't a problem at all. Fast, smooth as butter etc.
    I can see why you're annoyed. I'd have returned that device.

How long is a piece of string? In my brief period of iPhone ownership scrolling wasn't a problem at all. Fast, smooth as butter etc.
    I mistyped. I actually meant how long it takes to rotate the screen (with the animation included).

Surur
    the annoyances of a slow rotating screen, T9 for inputting messages, smallish screen and the instability of WM?

but hey, ya got a2dp!!!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I mistyped. I actually meant how long it takes to rotate the screen (with the animation included).
    Pretty quick. I'm sure someone who actually has an iPhone could give you a better idea.
    Less than a second on iphone. in fact, as a developer, I can make my stuff rotate much faster than that. I usually set it to 0.30 seconds when I need to rotate.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    the annoyances of a slow rotating screen, T9 for inputting messages, smallish screen and the instability of WM?

but hey, ya got a2dp!!!
    Dont forget MMS too.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    do Moto Q's offer a touchscreen?
    Absolutely. I can touch it all I want and unlike the iPhone, it doesn't react randomly to inadvertent brushes of the screen. I can also completely control the Q-series without ever touching the screen - A2DP, OBEX, Sling, Office Editing, cut/paste, film a video - you know, the things the iPhone still seems incapable of.
    The whole "htc/qualcomm video driver issue" is a complicated one, which was detailed here and Dieter and I frequently mention in the podcasts.

It seems to be a combination of qualcomm's chips not being as fast/htc not initially wanting to have to pay for video drivers (since they never had to before). I have no love for qualcomm and with nVidia making WM-specific processors due by year's end, we'll start to really see video speeds--once again, chipset competition will straighten this out.

HTC. to their credit, is working on releasing along with WM 6.1 an improved video experience with the Tilt. Dieter has been using the leaked version and calls it one of the best updates for a WM device with screen rotation nearly instant now (as well as other enhancements).

Regardless, because of Qualcomm's chips and HTC getting caught with their pants down, I'm not exactly sure how this gets Apple off the hook for not adding somethng as simple as A2DP (plus mms, copy/paste, tethering, gps navigation, multitasking, etc.). So while a clever diversion it's hardly an excuse for Apple--after all, aren't they supposed to be so much better than the competition? Why make excuses for them?

(And yeah, the Moto Q9 BT stack is very good with great fidelity, imo. With the Sprint wm6.1 update, the Q9c is a heck of a device that is very simple to use, fast, gps and a great value).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Did you mean "wiredly" broadcasting stereo through dorky-looking low fidelity (white) ear plugs? We're talking about an iPhone here, right?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast