Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think its funny when Apple does something non-standard, like leaving out MMS, they are pushing the future, but when they leave out progressive things other people do its because the technology is not up to snuff yet.

E-mailing pictures to other phones is just as onerous and cumbersome for some people as using wired headphones are to others.

Surur
    Exactly. Just like "they" were defending the fact that the 1st iPhone did not have 3G was actually a good thing because 3G drains battery so much and a 3G iPhone wouldn't be thin, it would have to be as fat as regular phones and EDGE wasn't really slow, it was fast enough for what "they" need to do........ and so forth.

I have to say though, the stated battery life is good.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    ... or they would have to change the "mod" commercials with colorful shadow-people dancing to musuc with the white earbud cords coming out of their heads!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    ... or they would have to change the "mod" commercials with colorful shadow-people dancing to musuc with the white earbud cords coming out of their heads!
    They could have blue waves instead. Although a depiction of electromagnetic radiation beaming towards a human head might be a little off-putting.
    Cnet's Crave says no bluetooth transfer either. WHAT???

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-996...ml?tag=bubbl_3
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Cnet's Crave says no bluetooth transfer either. WHAT???

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-996...ml?tag=bubbl_3
    I think the iPhone only supports headset and handfree profiles.

My Tilt does HSP, HFP 1.5, DUN, OPP, FTP, A2DP, AVRC, SAP, PAN, HID, BPP 1.2, OBEX.

Of those, I use A2DP every day for streaming podcasts to my car radio, PAN for tethering my laptop, HSP, A2DP and AVRC for using with my S9's and FTP and OBEX for beaming stuff to and from my Tilt and laptop.

To me a phone with only HSP and HFP would be pretty dumb. No tethering, no A2DP, no file transfer. Whats good is a smartphone that you can only use as a phone.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    That is a very good point from a marketing stand. The white earbuds with wires have a strong identity with apple. When I was in New York on business, I see people on the streets, subways, resturaunts, etc with white earbuds and if your hip to anything in this century you can figure out what that usually means.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Of those, I use A2DP every day for streaming podcasts to my car radio,
    Surur
    other people simply connect their iPod's to their car's audio system and listen to Podcasts and even music that way.

in truth, the Tilt that you mention should be able to do all of those fancy things you talk about, especially given that it's 3/4 of an inch thick.

so, if someone wants a2dp they can buy the Tilt. right? if someone doesn't care for it and wants something less bulky they can buy an iPhone. right?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    other people simply connect their iPod's to their car's audio system and listen to Podcasts and even music that way.

in truth, the Tilt that you mention should be able to do all of those fancy things you talk about, especially given that it's 3/4 of an inch thick.

so, if someone wants a2dp they can buy the Tilt. right? if someone doesn't care for it and wants something less bulky they can buy an iPhone. right?
    Or they could buy a HTC Diamond which is thinner and smaller than a iPhone Old and iPhone 3G, and can also do all of those.

Or they could even just buy a random Razr and have most of those profiles.

Surur
    Or they could buy a HTC Diamond which is thinner and smaller than a iPhone Old and iPhone 3G, and can also do all of those.

Or they could even just buy a random Razr and have most of those profiles.

Surur
    how does one type on a razr? htc diamond? their screens don't look all that big either.

oh well, i'm sure they suffice for some.
    how does one type on a razr? htc diamond? their screens don't look all that big either.

oh well, i'm sure they suffice for some.
    Considering the volume of text messages generated by T9, I would suggest that Razr's suffice for the majority, not just some.

Surur
    ugh

now that doesn't sound too smart either.

what about the other?
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/15/2008 at 09:39 AM.

I had no idea how much bulk the A2DP software-driven profile added to a device. Imagine how thin a Moto Q-series phone would be without it!
    do Moto Q's offer a touchscreen?
    I haven't followed the story closely but the Tilt appears to be horribly crippled device:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...e-htc-with-bu/

and apparently these issues will never fixed:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...r-controversy/

If you want A2DP it seems that there are better ways to go.
    Seems the Diamond is also badly afflicted in the performance department:

If HTC hopes to turn Touch FLO 3D into the next great mobile movement, however, theyre going to have to put some serious effort into improving performance. As we mentioned above, the touch screen interface often felt laggy and unresponsive. While some of this may be due to the actual screen design, we have a sneaking suspicion that the might be a more systemic issue in play here. The 528 MHz Qualcomm MSM7201A processor should be more than sufficient, but for whatever reason it feels like the TouchFLO interface is just too much for the device to handle. Scanning through the home screen menu often takes more patience than wed care to muster, and launching applications is frequently an exercise in frustration. Seriously folks, we*really*wanted to like Touch FLO 3D, but if this implementation is any indication we think HTC needs to perform some serious hardware tweaks before moving forward. Its certainly pretty, but looks dont mean much if the performance isnt there to back it up. If pressed, wed probably compare the Diamond to a Ferrari with a Chevy Cobalt engine. Its that bad, folks.
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...iamond-review/
    As a Tilt owner, I know those issues are wildly exaggerated.

Surur
    As a Tilt owner, I know those issues are wildly exaggerated.
    People commenting at Engadget might beg to differ:

"BTW, this is my third HTC device in a row. There are thousands of people in the same boat as me. And not only will we not be returning as customers, but many potential customers are seeing for themselves that they shouldn't buy HTC products. I'm happy for those of you who didn't have to spend upwards of $1000 to learn this lesson."

"Thank you, HTC. You just lost a customer and a customer for Microsoft WM."

"**** You HTC - After 4 devices i'm moving to Samsung i900 as soon as it come out."

"I will NEVER buy an HTC device again. I don't give a **** if HTC comes out with a phone that they say has the ability to cure cancer, because even if it had that capability HTC wouldn't provide the drivers for it."

"I'm a Tilt owner, and have been watching this closely from the start. I hoped HTC would do right, but like many others I'm disappointed. This is my last HTC device."

"Thanks HTC. TyTN II owner. My 2nd, and last HTC device. Go **** yourselves."

... and that's just from one page of comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    People commenting at Engadget might beg to differ:

"BTW, this is my third HTC device in a row. There are thousands of people in the same boat as me. And not only will we not be returning as customers, but many potential customers are seeing for themselves that they shouldn't buy HTC products. I'm happy for those of you who didn't have to spend upwards of $1000 to learn this lesson."

"Thank you, HTC. You just lost a customer and a customer for Microsoft WM."

"**** You HTC - After 4 devices i'm moving to Samsung i900 as soon as it come out."

"I will NEVER buy an HTC device again. I don't give a **** if HTC comes out with a phone that they say has the ability to cure cancer, because even if it had that capability HTC wouldn't provide the drivers for it."

"I'm a Tilt owner, and have been watching this closely from the start. I hoped HTC would do right, but like many others I'm disappointed. This is my last HTC device."

"Thanks HTC. TyTN II owner. My 2nd, and last HTC device. Go **** yourselves."

... and that's just from one page of comments.
    I'll explain it to you in a few sentences.

People were told that HTC was moving from Intel ARM chips to qualcomm chips which were dual processor with built-in video acceleration. They therefore assumed the new devices would be faster,and have dramatically better video performance. It turned out qualcomm chips actually worked slower, and HTC did not plan to include include the drivers (which cost extra).

The issue were thus based on expectations rather that real under performance.

Its similar to for example expecting the iPhone to have A2DP because they have a bluetooth chip which supports it.

I upgraded to the Kaiser because it has HSDPA, a 3 megapixel camera and built-in GPS. All these features performed to my expectations, so I'm happy.

The people who were expecting to watch full res Divx video on their Tilt (based on the chipset rather that real promises) are bitterly disappointed, but then I'm not one of them.

Surur
    There are some basic performance complaints on that discussion thread, though. Things like long delays rotating from portrait to landscape.
    The issue were thus based on expectations rather that real under performance.
    Have you seen this video:

That's under performance if even I saw it. So is this - comparison of a Kaiser with a much older Magician:

You imply Tilt users' expectations were unrealistic, but I'd argue it's pretty reasonable to expect this years model to at least match the comparable device from years ago, certainly not to vastly under perform it anyway.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast