Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #1  
    Mr Jobs said "The iPhone started at $599. It now sells at $399; We want to make it even more affordable."
    The cheapest 8GB iPhone 3G will sell for $199, while a second model with 16GB of storage will sell for $299.
    Mr Jobs pledged that the $199 price would be the same across many countries.
    The new iPhones will be launched on 11 July in 22 countries.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7443543.stm

    The first shots of summer have been fired!
  2. #2  
    looks like that requires a new 2-year commitment (in the US, at least)
  3. bearxor's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #3  
    Even current iPhone purchases require 2-year commitments. The difference is, you go to the Apple store and pay $199. The phone is yours. You could jailbreak it if you wanted to and never activate it on AT&T's network. You could do it prepaid and have a $20/mo internet device. If you went to Sprint/Verizon/Alltel/AT&T/T-Mo to buy a different phone and not sign a contract, the price jacks up. That doesn't happen with the iPhone.
  4. #4  
    Can you jailbreak the new iPhone to work on Sprint?
  5. #5  
    jailbreaking has nothing to do with changing carriers; that's unlocking.

    No one knows yet, but in all likelihood someone will figure it out. PRoblem is, you can't buy one unless you activate in-store; i suppose you can activate then cancel within the 14 days, though they may make you return the phone. I dunno.
  6. #6  
    If you did unlock it, it would have to be for T-Mobile or Rogers/Fido(Canada) since Sprint is CDMA.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    Even current iPhone purchases require 2-year commitments. The difference is, you go to the Apple store and pay $199. The phone is yours. You could jailbreak it if you wanted to and never activate it on AT&T's network. You could do it prepaid and have a $20/mo internet device. If you went to Sprint/Verizon/Alltel/AT&T/T-Mo to buy a different phone and not sign a contract, the price jacks up. That doesn't happen with the iPhone.
    Actually, you can't even walk out of an ATT or Apple store with an iPhone 3G without having it activated on an a 2yr contract with a $30 3G data plan and also a voice plan.

    "Activation Process
    The new 3G device will be activated in store in both AT&T and Apple stores. Customers must accept AT&T and Apple Ts & Cs, sign a 2-year agreement, and select the data plan for the iPhone 3G before leaving the store."

    More emerging details have been leaked to Gizmodo here http://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-...hone-3g-policy .


    "New Activation Process and BRE:
    The iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased, in store. The BRE period will change from 14 days to 30 days and will require the device to be returned to place of purchase before service is cancelled."

    "All iPhone 3G customers are required to have one of the new data plans and qualifying voice plan.
    Customers intending to use the iPhone 3G for access to corporate e-mail, business applications, or access to corporate intranet are required to activate with Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone.
    The 2G data rate plans will remain available for 2G devices until further notice.
    IRU service discounts for both voice and data pans will apply to iPhone 3G, but not 2G iPhone.
    CRU service discounts for voice and data will apply to both 2G and 3G, when on a qualifying data plan.
    IRUs will not get a discount on device purchase for 2G or iPhone 3Gs.
    Data Pricing will be as follows:
    Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
    $30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail"


    Personally, i'm not leaving Sprint as the Instinct has me tickled silly, not to mention the better service plans that i get on Sprint. The thing i don't get is this, ATT has a PDA plan for $20 w/200 SMS (that works on 3G if you have a 3G PDA device like the BlackJack/Tilt and so forth) but if you get a 3G iPhone, they force you to pay $10 more.

    Some ATT folks on other sites are intimating that they will get the $199 model, cancel, pay the $175 ETF (basically bringing the device to $400) jailbreak (when possible) and use their existing 3G ATT plans or whatever current plans they have, which costs them less in an effort to get around the restrictions they don't like.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 06/10/2008 at 07:57 AM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  8. #8  
    Drop the price of the phone, increase the price of the service (and lock you in even more effectively than before). $70 a month for the cheapest plan? Ow!

    It's the old "give away the razor but charge like hell for the blades" approach.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. #9  
    How is the argument of it being a minimum $70 plan so incomprehensible to some? We all pay this for our current smartphones with data packages.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #10  
    It's fairly attrative for me in the UK - the 02 package is the same as I'm currently paying but with unlimited data thrown in...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    How is the argument of it being a minimum $70 plan so incomprehensible to some? We all pay this for our current smartphones with data packages.
    Incorrect. You can put any unlocked or AT&T GSM smartphone on a GoPhone prepaid account and have unlimited data for $20 per month. I have been doing this with a Treo 650 for almost a year (first with their PYP plan and now with PAYG). Then you would pay for voice minutes as you need them--$1 per day for unlimited AT&T minutes plus 10 cents per minute to others or 25 cents per minute flat rate with no daily charge. Everyone seems to want to patronize the carriers for the latest phones and lock into 2-yr contracts when you can spend a little more for an unlocked phone or buy a used one off eBay or wherever and then call your own shots when it comes to how much you want to pay per month for voice and data. All with no contract commitment to the carriers!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by haasfamily View Post
    Everyone seems to want to patronize the carriers for the latest phones and lock into 2-yr contracts when you can spend a little more for an unlocked phone or buy a used one off eBay or wherever and then call your own shots when it comes to how much you want to pay per month for voice and data. All with no contract commitment to the carriers!
    I used to think like that until my cell phone became my only phone... now it does not matter how long the contract. The other thing I learned is that I don't normally have a reason to switch carriers... if I did, it would be because I moved (or a friend moved), even then they have ALWAYS agreed to waive the termination fee.

    Then again, I won't move services to get a "new phone."
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    How is the argument of it being a minimum $70 plan so incomprehensible to some? We all pay this for our current smartphones with data packages.
    I'd have to say that Sprint's SERO has a number of us acting like spoiled children (I'm the biggest child ).

    I have a $50 ($56 after taxes) that includes unlimited data, unlimited text, nights start at 7 pm, 1250 minutes (which is "unlimited" for me), and so on.

    But $70 is not bad if you don't need a lot of minutes.... I'd guess that base plan is the 450 minutes?

    After being on SERO I could not stomach going back to a regular plan unless I 100% had to... my bill would more than likely increase at least $20 a month (or $240 a year) no matter what carrier I went with. Wild guess... but I would guess for unlimited stuff and the minutes I'd see at least that much of an increase.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I'd have to say that Sprint's SERO has a number of us acting like spoiled children (I'm the biggest child ).

    I have a $50 ($56 after taxes) that includes unlimited data, unlimited text, nights start at 7 pm, 1250 minutes (which is "unlimited" for me), and so on.

    But $70 is not bad if you don't need a lot of minutes.... I'd guess that base plan is the 450 minutes?

    After being on SERO I could not stomach going back to a regular plan unless I 100% had to... my bill would more than likely increase at least $20 a month (or $240 a year) no matter what carrier I went with. Wild guess... but I would guess for unlimited stuff and the minutes I'd see at least that much of an increase.
    Given Sprint's quality of network and CS, its no wonder even phenomenal offers like SERO can't keep it from losing millions of subscribers.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by haasfamily View Post
    Incorrect. You can put any unlocked or AT&T GSM smartphone on a GoPhone prepaid account and have unlimited data for $20 per month. I have been doing this with a Treo 650 for almost a year (first with their PYP plan and now with PAYG). Then you would pay for voice minutes as you need them--$1 per day for unlimited AT&T minutes plus 10 cents per minute to others or 25 cents per minute flat rate with no daily charge. Everyone seems to want to patronize the carriers for the latest phones and lock into 2-yr contracts when you can spend a little more for an unlocked phone or buy a used one off eBay or wherever and then call your own shots when it comes to how much you want to pay per month for voice and data. All with no contract commitment to the carriers!
    I find that buying unlocked phones often exceeds the price of a subsidized phone + ETF. So what's the point? Also, I don't care about prepaid accounts, unless you need to get one due to credit or some other reason. When you add up minutes + texts + data on prepaid, its often more expensive.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I find that buying unlocked phones often exceeds the price of a subsidized phone + ETF. So what's the point? Also, I don't care about prepaid accounts, unless you need to get one due to credit or some other reason. When you add up minutes + texts + data on prepaid, its often more expensive.
    If you go over to HowardForums you will find many people wanting to use smartphones like Treos on prepaid to save money and they have no credit issues whatsoever. The thought that prepaid is only for people with credit issues shows how out of touch postpaid users are with the real world. If you talk all day on your phone and are a heavy data/text user, then yes, postpaid is probably your best bet. But if you are a heavy data user and only talk occasionally on your phone, prepaid will save you boatloads of money. That's the point. No taxes added on, cheap refills via cheapphonecards.com, etc. And why do people pay carriers a subsidized price for the latest phone and lock into a 2-yr contract with huge monthly charges when a year old Treo, Blackjack, or other smartphone will do everything you want for a much cheaper price? Heck you can even get a brand new unlocked Treo 750 from several online vendors for around $250 with 3G speeds. If you don't need to impress everyone with the latest gadget that hits the market, a new or used smartphone that was released last year on a prepaid account will suit most users just fine and save them a lot of money in the long run. Have fun paying your $70 monthly bill + taxes over the next 2 years (Total = $1680 + taxes) while I pay $480 for the same service you get plus a few extra dollars I will have to pay for my occasional voice calls.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by haasfamily View Post
    If you go over to HowardForums you will find many people wanting to use smartphones like Treos on prepaid to save money and they have no credit issues whatsoever. The thought that prepaid is only for people with credit issues shows how out of touch postpaid users are with the real world. If you talk all day on your phone and are a heavy data/text user, then yes, postpaid is probably your best bet. But if you are a heavy data user and only talk occasionally on your phone, prepaid will save you boatloads of money. That's the point. No taxes added on, cheap refills via cheapphonecards.com, etc. And why do people pay carriers a subsidized price for the latest phone and lock into a 2-yr contract with huge monthly charges when a year old Treo, Blackjack, or other smartphone will do everything you want for a much cheaper price? Heck you can even get a brand new unlocked Treo 750 from several online vendors for around $250 with 3G speeds. If you don't need to impress everyone with the latest gadget that hits the market, a new or used smartphone that was released last year on a prepaid account will suit most users just fine and save them a lot of money in the long run. Have fun paying your $70 monthly bill + taxes over the next 2 years (Total = $1680 + taxes) while I pay $480 for the same service you get plus a few extra dollars I will have to pay for my occasional voice calls.
    I guess I just prefer having the convenience of a postpaid account, not having to keep track of my minutes that are left, etc. and paying for that convenience. To some, a cellular bill might be a sore line item in their budget, but luckily that's not the case for me.
  18. #18  
    Not anymore. AT&T now offers data and text packages for pre-paid, along with voice. It often adds up to be the same as or less than a contract, depending on your usage. In fact, my contract bill is high compared to my pre-paid lines.

    Also unlocked phones do cost more, but for freedom of usage, fine with me! No hot-wired browser, no locked down features, etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I find that buying unlocked phones often exceeds the price of a subsidized phone + ETF. So what's the point? Also, I don't care about prepaid accounts, unless you need to get one due to credit or some other reason. When you add up minutes + texts + data on prepaid, its often more expensive.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Given Sprint's quality of network and CS, its no wonder even phenomenal offers like SERO can't keep it from losing millions of subscribers.
    Quality of network?

    I was with verizon for seven years before moving over to sero... nothing wrong with sprints network... heck, on att my cousin's phone won't ring in the house with his att phone... lol

    Far as CS.... I don't call every five minutes asking for a discount so I've not had much interaction with their CS... when I did they fixed whatever issue I had.... even if I found them hard to understand what they were saying.

    Sprint does have its issues.... but I'm not convinced that the network or cs are the major issues.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  20. #20  
    Sprint's CS not a major issue? LOL!!! Unless they've changed, that was one reason I left!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions