Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Maybe you are mistaken about who the iPhone appeals to. You liked the iPhone before the enterprise features. What makes you think the enterprise features will drive iPhone sales significantly?

Surur

Because I work for a large company that plans to buy and support thousands of iPhones after ActiveSync becomes available. I have a feeling we are not the only ones.
    In my microcosm, all the chatter is about the enterprise features - I hear a lot of "now I can get one!" (Lawyers typically buy their own phone, get a $99 subsidy from the firm + paid data plan and fixed number of cents per minute per work-related call). A virtual parade of folks have stopped my office asking advice (I tell them - wait a bit).

Most of them are foaming at the mouth for the superior pdf-viewing features, and the fact that each time their blackberrys have gone down (which happens surprisingly frequently - both due to national/international problems and problems associated with our own IT) my iphone continues to send and receive mail.

So, for all of you who think that there are far too many lawyers, that should add up to far too many iphone sales :-)

As for Nova, I suspect it to be as good as other operating systems in most respects, worse in some, better in others, but that won't be good enough given that Palm is so late to the game an has perpetually screwed the development community it needs to ensure the success of the platform.
    I just watched the mobile me demo. I actually think its pretty cool. Great for people that dont have access to an exchange server.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Because I work for a large company that plans to buy and support thousands of iPhones after ActiveSync becomes available. I have a feeling we are not the only ones.
    add another (most likely)
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Here is a price comparison chart that Gizmodo has posted. Notice the part about 0 included sms with the new data plan.

I wish they hadn't used "Me" as the term for their Mobile service, it reminded some people of the failed Windows ME and now people are predicting a similar failure, LOL!

.Mac was OK with me. Plus a me.com email address for $100 a year... well maybe if the storage comes in handy but honestly I think they should have sold it for less. $60 would have been better IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    BTW, I needed to use cut and paste about 4 times today on my WM phone. I hope Apple fixes that with a firmware update and they still have time to update the 2.0 since it's not really out yet officially. So anyone up for writing and begging for this feature? It could work, you never know.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/11/2008 at 07:08 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    (Lawyers typically buy their own phone, get a $99 subsidy from the firm + paid data plan and fixed number of cents per minute per work-related call).
    Seriously? I thought a law firm would be more progressive regarding the pittance cost of a phone. My small (75 person), software development company provides an annual $500 allowance for new phones and pays the monthly bills on them. I would have expected more from the law firms given how much we pay our lawyers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Seriously? I thought a law firm would be more progressive regarding the pittance cost of a phone. My small (75 person), software development company provides an annual $500 allowance for new phones and pays the monthly bills on them. I would have expected more from the law firms given how much we pay our lawyers.
    Seriously. In law, everything is billed to overhead or the client. THe partners get whatever is left after paying expenses and the associates. This makes them very cost conscious.
    Just read about the WWDC software awards and a few things caught my eye. The first thing is apparently there is an AOL radio program coming out for the iPhone. I'm wondering how this isnt a violation of the SDK requirements (Jobs said "No Bandwidth Hogs"). The second thing is a task magement program called OmniFocus will allow OTA syncing of tasks. I wonder how they are doing this.
    Just read about the WWDC software awards and a few things caught my eye. The first thing is apparently there is an AOL radio program coming out for the iPhone. I'm wondering how this isnt a violation of the SDK requirements (Jobs said "No Bandwidth Hogs"). The second thing is a task magement program called OmniFocus will allow OTA syncing of tasks. I wonder how they are doing this.
    A couple of possibilities. Most likely is through omni's own servers.
    Oh, and as far as "no bandwidth hogs," almost certainly this was code for "nothing that's gonna bring down the network" (which, on at&t's network, is a lot easier than on hardwired infrastructure).

Like I said, there will be slingplayer, etc. for iphone.
    Oh, and as far as "no bandwidth hogs," almost certainly this was code for "nothing that's gonna bring down the network" (which, on at&t's network, is a lot easier than on hardwired infrastructure).

For bandwidth hogs I always envisioned video,not audio. Slingplayer is talking a lot,but like Adobe with Flash, I don't actually expect Apple to approve their release.

Surur
    we'll know soon enough. again, apple's sdk documentation has an entire document explaining how to stream video, so I can't imagine they'll say "hey, here's how to do it, now don't do it."
    Seriously. In law, everything is billed to overhead or the client. THe partners get whatever is left after paying expenses and the associates. This makes them very cost conscious.
    Sounds like either the partners don't know how to set appropriate rates. About 90% of our work is billed to clients too - I guess we must pay better attention to our rates than lawyers (admittedly, we're constantly working them). Who'd have thought?

Sling already announced slingplayer for the iPhone. I watched a video of it last week.
    according to their website, it will syn ota via MobileMe (still not use to that name), and WebDav

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/iphone/
    Sling already announced slingplayer for the iPhone. I watched a video of it last week.
    Just like Adobe announced flash for the iPhone.

Surur
    Just like Adobe announced flash for the iPhone.

Surur
    Yeah, but did Adobe show what looks like a complete version in action....

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/08/s...le-for-iphone/

Check the video.
    Apparently tomtom is coming to the iPhone.

Surur
    Sounds a lot like the "Flash announcement"

Rumor: TomTom not developing iPhone GPS software after all

TomTom has not yet begun to develop navigation software for the iPhone despite announcements to the contrary...

No software prototypes for iPhone exist to our source's knowledge.

An email was sent through the company yesterday "underscoring that we haven't officially announced anything, we're just commenting to the press on a 'reactive not proactive' basis," says the source.
    Whoops.

Do I smell exclusive subscription based GPS app coming to the iPhone?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter