Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    As I had predicted...

    See, Surur, you can continue to get your IM's when your IM app is not in the foreground. :-)
  2. #2  
    I think the whole thing appeared rather disappointing. Its a bit of a kludge, isn't it.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/09/2008 at 02:02 PM.
  3. #3  
    The best news was the lower price. Even the UI remained the same.

    Surur
  4. #4  
    What are some other applications that will/can use this? IM is an obvious.

    Apple not allowing applications to run in the background is Apple protecting it's OS, not trying to "come up with a better solution."
  5. #5  
    What if the data you want to monitor is local, e.g. a change in location (e.g. speed camera software).

    Also it still seems to require a persistent data connection, which is the major battery drain.

    Poor kludge.

    Surur
  6. #6  
    I agree. It's an obvious band-aid to cover up intentional shortcomings.

    Overall, other than the third party dev agreements, the act was a disappointment IMO.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7.    #7  
    Connection isn't persistent; probably handled like IDLE.

    Kludge? Maybe. I will withhold opinion until I see the details. If the notification doesn't allow a call back (it appears not), that is somewhat disappointing. Nonetheless, it does permit most of the apps people were worried about to run. Background GPS seems to me to be the most likely problem here.
  8. #8  
    When you are browsing the web on an iphone, the music is still playing in the background correct?

    So Apple apps can run in the background but not 3rd parties?

    This is where Android differs. It runs each application in it's own VM environment. It allows multiple VMs to be run at once, and each VM session can interact with each other via the Android API's.
  9. #9  
    Still no A2DP.

    Surur
  10.    #10  
    I'm not entirely sure they aren't right with this. Every review I read for almost every "iphone killer" (diamond, etc.) talks about how laggy things are. The last thing you want in a mass market phone is what my Treo used to do (either refuse to allow me to answer an incoming call because it was busy pondering life, or, even better, simply choose that moment as the best possible time to crash and self-reset). Not having the choice to infect one's phone with background stuff sucks, of course, but Apple is Apple. If they would just add the ability to register to receive notifications tied to a timer (with some acceptable minimum timer interval), then any "background" app could be done, w/o most of the problems that could occur with real background apps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Still no A2DP.

    Surur
    But at least now one can use normal wired earphones ;-)
  12. #12  
    I am not sure the 3G iPhone has improved enough to interest new buyers much more than the old iPhone. There was not even an announcement of sat nav software.

    Surur
  13.    #13  
    I agree. I found the announcement disappointing. I'm sure there will be satnav software, of course, but they should have announced that instead of that medical junk.

    Hell, if no one does satnav, I'll do it myself; I had a summer job many years ago where I learned to decode the US census "tiger" database (that contains map data for the US), and it was pretty easy. (And i have lots of experience path-tracing). Of course, that data is updated only once a decade, and only for the US :-)

    No camera improvements, no video recorder, no memory increase. Oi.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    I'm not entirely sure they aren't right with this. Every review I read for almost every "iphone killer" (diamond, etc.) talks about how laggy things are. The last thing you want in a mass market phone is what my Treo used to do (either refuse to allow me to answer an incoming call because it was busy pondering life, or, even better, simply choose that moment as the best possible time to crash and self-reset). Not having the choice to infect one's phone with background stuff sucks, of course, but Apple is Apple. If they would just add the ability to register to receive notifications tied to a timer (with some acceptable minimum timer interval), then any "background" app could be done, w/o most of the problems that could occur with real background apps.
    Palm OS is the Windows 98 of mobile operating systems. Every app running fights over CPU usage. The iPhone running on BSD has Preemptive multitasking that allows the OS to interrupt a process if a more important process needs the CPU.
  15.    #15  
    Win 98 had preemptive multitasking. Macs at the time did not. Think you have to go back further in Windows history to hit cooperative multitasking.

    Also, processor scheduling algorithms are a very complicated thing to get right, and more than once I've had my mac, linux, and solaris boxes lock up on me, despite their "superior" task scheduling.
  16. #16  
    The 3G data plans are going to cost more - $30 for normal users, $45 for business.

    Since they are now selling the phones below cost, I wonder if they will stop selling phones without activation.

    Surur
  17.    #17  
    where'd you find that? What's with charging more for business?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Win 98 had preemptive multitasking. Macs at the time did not. Think you have to go back further in Windows history to hit cooperative multitasking.

    Also, processor scheduling algorithms are a very complicated thing to get right, and more than once I've had my mac, linux, and solaris boxes lock up on me, despite their "superior" task scheduling.
    My fault. I got the two mixed up. Cooperative/preemptive.

    98 also didn't have protected memory. That is where a lot of the BSOD's came from.

    I started on DOS 3.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    where'd you find that? What's with charging more for business?
    On AT&T unlimited iPhone 3G data plans for consumers will be available for $30 a month, on top of voice plans starting at $39.99 a month. Unlimited 3G data for business users will be $45 a month, on top of voice.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/i...ally-official/

    Surur
  20.    #20  
    Is that more expensive? I thought the basic plan on AT&T was $70 now; looks like it's still $70?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions