Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In lieu of tomorrow's announcement (at least what we all believe will be announced), I'm pretty much set on purchasing Apple's latest product regardless of price and subsidy given that it has 3G, real GPS, a way to use Tasks, and nothing crazy has been taken away from the current version.

I currently have the BJII, Treo 750, Tilt, and a BB Curve, so I do have a variety of devices. I want to move over to the new iPhone due to several reasons including:

-Want a new interface, something "fresh" that I can tinker with.
    -Multimedia, particularly photos, is becoming more important to me.
    -Online services such as Google Reader and Facebook have specialized webpages designed for iPhone that I would like to take advantage of. As I spend a lot of time on my phone during my commute to whenever I'm out, I would like these features and put them to use.
    -Although my Treo 750 was rock solid, my Blackjack II and Tilt continue to be buggy and I am beginning to get tired of troubleshooting problems. I think that the iPhone will have its bugs, but I digress.

My needs might classify me as a power user, but I'm hoping the iPhone will be more than adequate.

1. Heavy PIM user - I rely on my calendar, tasks, and contacts daily. I require a strong suite of PIM apps to keep me organized between my job as a CPA, my job as a teacher, and my often hectic personal life.
    2. Email is important to me. In my role as a CPA, we use BB only, but in my role as a teacher, I use Yahoo! or Hotmail. Students frequently email me with questions about the class and send me attachments of their homework.
    3. Strong internet capabilities. This is one area that is pretty much a non-issue since the iPhone still does have the best browser on a device currently available in the US - of course Opera 9.5 looks fantastic, but still not officially available to all of us. Plus, Opera isn't supported by my classes' website so I can't exactly access it using 9.5 anyways.

So who else is in this boat with me? I'm not exactly moving away from WM, I'm just looking into other devices to find the OS that best suites my needs currently (don't worry Dieter, I'm not leaving WM anytime soon!). I guess I'm just tired of the issues that always pop up with my HTC devices and my blackjack. I AM looking forward to the Treo 850 though, the 750 was the best device I've owned to date even with its outdated hardware specs...
    Before I can use it for business, it needs better phone management software FIRST. I still don't know why you can't delete individual callers, but must delete the WHOLE list or keep useless numbers on there just to call back important ones later!! I have a cluttered useless list as a result. And I hope they fix that in the new version and offer a software upgrade for the old one. It'll be such a relief!

It will also need to fix the mediocre alarms for calender and tasks. That also made me stay with other OS for business.

Not being able to send an MMS is also a mystery to me and I hope they fix that too.

BTW, what issues do you have with the BJII? That aren't caused by AT&T that is(I heard about the GPS port block). The only one I found was that icon placements persist for uninstalled programs and that's annoying(but that might be a WM6 problem), but other than that, no problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Annoying bugs that I'm not sure of what is causing it, but the time on my Homescreen will stop updating every once in a while and I'll have to reset it to fix the problem. Also, when I go in and out of coverage, half of the time the device can't establish a data connection unless I power the radio on/off or reset it. I've also noticed that some dust has made it under the screen which doesn't bother me all too much, but for a device that I've had for about 2 months, I don't think it should even be a problem.
    As the developer presentations come out, you have to admit that Jobs is a hell of a salesman for getting all these guys on board. What, MLB or these medical developers couldn't develop their new iPhone apps for Palm OS or WM? I've got to believe that these developers were enticed by a subscription model, but even that was available for these developers before.

It's inconceivable that all these devs have been living in a cave for the past 5 years and missed opportunities to market these apps to the WM/POS/Symbian markets.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    gadgetluva - longtime WM fan here too. At least, all the way back to the Toshiba 2032SP.

Birthday is July 11th. The only thing that is going to stop an iPhone purchase at this point is if monthly pricing is really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    gadgetluva - longtime WM fan here too. At least, all the way back to the Toshiba 2032SP.

Birthday is July 11th. The only thing that is going to stop an iPhone purchase at this point is if monthly pricing is really bad.
    Minimum plan is $70.

Surur
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If it's roughtly the same in the UK - I'm in.
    Any insight as to whether they fixed the call log inconvenience? Or will even offer a software update for the old iPhone?

I know I need to look at the presentation but can't now, unfortunately.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    No specific details on anything yet Phone Diva.

I just got a BJII so hopefully I'm still allowed to get this device - even if I have to pay the unsubsidized price for it. Extending my contract doesn't really bother me since I'm sticking with AT&T for a long time.

Regardless, have you guys seen how many websites make it very iPhone friendly? Facebook is one where the pictures are full screen versus the tiny thumbnails on other phones, google reader is much more advanced, etc. etc. That's one big reason I want an iPhone.
    I still am wary of jumping on the new one, I think I'll just keep the old one until reviews are listed about performance. And also I need to think about whether I really want to pay even more for a line that isn't even my main line.

and yet another.....

it's ok to try something new. yes, it costs money to do so, but then again, how many Treos have you owned?

have fun gadgetluva, and be forewarned; many who do try the iPhone or the Blackberry products rarely go back.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    and yet another.....

it's ok to try something new. yes, it costs money to do so, but then again, how many Treos have you owned?

have fun gadgetluva, and be forewarned; many who do try the iPhone or the Blackberry products rarely go back.
    I currently have a Tilt, Treo 750, BJII, and Curve - I tried BB and hated it, but I have it for my primary work email. My BJII serves my personal and teaching jobs for email, and for all of my calendar/task events. If I don't go back to WM, then no big deal, I found something better that suites my needs. But with the Treo 850 and Velocity devices coming out, I doubt that will happen
    Yeah, it's OK to try the new N95-4, N78, W760i, HTC Diamond, etc. etc. without having to get raped by AT&T jacking up rates and contracts. LOL!

My point about the new 3G iPhone is that it will cost me MORE for a line that isn't my main line. That's why I'm not sure it's a good deal for me. If it were my main line, things could be different. The other phones I mentioned will not raise my rates or contract because I won't have to crawl to AT&T or Apple to get them. It seems the new software will be available for old iPhone users too, so I can still test it.

I did go back to WM. It still works better for me than Mobile OSX. And unfortunately it was due to not wanting or needing to deal with BB servers for email and web surfing that made me stop using BB. But I do like the simple BB platform and OS a lot. No complaints there, except for the server requirements.

i'm pretty sure apple will get along without you
    Of course they will. But again, that wasn't what I was trying to say. Why do you need to make snide comments when someone doesn't have the same exact experience or opinion as you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yeah, it's OK to try the new N95-4, N78, W760i, HTC Diamond, etc. etc. without having to get raped by AT&T jacking up rates and contracts. LOL!
    If I run any of these devices on AT&T, are the rates any lower than the iPhone 2?

I guess to each their own, but I have tried the n95, HTC Diamond (got to play with it recently), and the w760. They all stink (in my opinion).

I know we disagree about this, but data entry on any of those phones (besides the Diamond) is very difficult.
    AT&T probably won't allow it's customers to get one through them anyway. This is one reason I get unlocked for the most part(besides AT&T's butchering of firmware when they DO manage to get good phones). I did hear they will offer the N95 but who knows when! But usually they don't consider Symbian a smartphone OS and you can get regular pricing on Nokias. The W760i isn't even a smartphone so you can get regular pricing. The only phone they may say something about is the HTC Diamond, but if you do the SIM switch thing, they usually won't say anything unless you go crazy with tethering and data. You don't even need to inform them you have one.

I find texting on SE phones excellent, even if they aren't smartphones for the most part. Still waiting on the Xperia 1, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I find texting on SE phones excellent, even if they aren't smartphones for the most part. Still waiting on the Xperia 1, BTW.
    We have has this discussion before, but I cant imagine doing my daily emails with T9.

As for the iPhone plans, they are now inline with blackberrys and other smartphones. I still hate AT&T though.

I have a feeling you will eventually see a Diamond on AT&T. The reason I say this is because it was an AT&T employee that showed it to me. I was actualy really interested to see it, but after a short while with it, I found I disliked it a lot.
    Actually you're right, I did notice that now iPhone has smartphone data rates. But somehow I'm still on the old rates even with smartphones, and they have never told me to switch. This might be because I never registered any smartphone through them directly.

correct...i pay $20 for unlimited data, currently.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast