Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    After carrying my Tilt with me to work today, I think I've decided that I really do need to experience a new device. Even with the awesome ROMs over at XDA, there are always bugs - big, small, but always annoying. The next gen Treo 850 probably won't be out for months, and I'm tired of fixing problems now more than ever. I'm going to have to pay the full unsubsidized price for the iPhone, but I think it'll be worth it...
    if your needs are simple, odds are you'll like it.

best success and have fun.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

Please define how my needs are any "simpler" than yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Real men use blackberry.

Surur
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Real men use blackberry.

Surur
    Haha, I actually have a Curve that I'm thinking about hooking up for my role as a CPA. Cost isn't an issue since I'll be able to expense it, but I'm not really currently in a role where I need always on email for this job.
    ok, how about this?

"as long as one's needs are simple odds are they'll like it"

better?

but given that you're a "CPA," your smartphone needs are probably very demanding, hence why you own a blackberry as well. if your needs are as such then an iPhone is probably not for you.

and yes, Surur, you're right as usual.

sheesh this place!
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/18/2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    sigh...i too will fall victim to the iphone 3g. im curently sporting the bj2 and the treo 750. being that i love my treo 750 and will die with it in my hand. it looks like the blackjackII have a meeting with my friend named eBay. i dont know what it is but im sucked into the web apps, built in apps, gps and 3g. i said to myself "iphone would be perfect if it had 3g" and now it does
  8.    #28  
    ok, how about this?

"as long as one's needs are simple odds are they'll like it"

better?

but given that you're a "CPA," your smartphone needs are probably very demanding, hence why you own a blackberry as well. if your needs are as such then an iPhone is probably not for you.

and yes, Surur, you're right as usual.

sheesh this place!
    Would you have any actual reasons why you think the iPhone won't work for me with the needs I listed, or are you just going to troll around the forum looking for a flamewar like you seem to enjoy doing?
    I think based on your originally-listed requirements, it should work fine. The email client could use some work; I miss chattermail on the treo, with its superior mailbox integration and viewing. However, if you deal with attachments (viewing them), i don't think anything beats the iphone (for pdf, word, excel, and now powerpoint).
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    I think based on your originally-listed requirements, it should work fine. The email client could use some work; I miss chattermail on the treo, with its superior mailbox integration and viewing. However, if you deal with attachments (viewing them), i don't think anything beats the iphone (for pdf, word, excel, and now powerpoint).
    Thanks cmaier. I don't need many advanced features for email - students email me, and I answer their questions. Sometimes they send me a copy of their work in excel or word format and I take a quick look at it as well. So for those purposes, I think it works fine.
    I agree about the email client. Its the worst part of the iPhone and is something the blackberry really beats it out in (I prefer the iPhone in every other way).

I have two thoughts...
    1. I wonder if using the sdk if somebody can create a new email client?
    2. if a newer firmware will ever be introduced that will allow an easier way to switch between 2 email accounts.
    Would you have any actual reasons why you think the iPhone won't work for me with the needs I listed, or are you just going to troll around the forum looking for a flamewar like you seem to enjoy doing?
    yes, i actually do.

you say that email, and most importantly "pim suites" are of real importance to you. to me, the email application that the iPhone offers is not the most robust in the industry. hec, at this point i still can't copy and paste and you can't attach files.

CPA's typically have spreadsheet needs and as of this point i'm not familiar with any robust spreadsheet application available for it. regardless, i've never understood how anyone could do real spreadsheet work on such a small screen.

will the iPhone work for you? only you'll be able to tell us, we're here to simply opine one way or another, and not all opinions need be the same.

my iPhone doesn't suffice for "my" daily work duties and that's why i carry a blackberry Monday thru Friday and even thru the weekend.

and if i may remind you, it was your somewhat antagonistic response to my message that seemed a bit out of line:

hmmmm.....

regards
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/19/2008 at 06:09 PM.
  13.    #33  
    yes, i actually do.

you say that email, and most importantly "pim suites" are of real importance to you. to me, the email application that the iPhone offers is not the most robust in the industry. hec, at this point i still can't copy and paste and you can't attach files.

CPA's typically have spreadsheet needs and as of this point i'm not familiar with any robust spreadsheet application available for it. regardless, i've never understood how anyone could do real spreadsheet work on such a small screen.

will the iPhone work for you? only you'll be able to tell us, we're here to simply opine one way or another, and not all opinions need be the same.

my iPhone doesn't suffice for "my" daily work duties and that's why i carry a blackberry Monday thru Friday and even thru the weekend.

and if i may remind you, it was your somewhat antagonistic response to my message that seemed a bit out of line:

hmmmm.....

regards
    In my original post, I don't believe I ever even hinted that I'd be doing any substantial CPA orientated spreadsheet analysis on the iPhone, I only stated that I would view homework assignments from my students in my role as a teacher, which are quite a bit simpler than what I deal with on a day to day basis. In addition, although I recognize the shortcomings of no copy/paste, I don't really use that function (my BJ2 doesn't do it as I haven't installed any hacks to enable this function). Finally, you state that I can't attach files, but I did state that I don't need to edit files - now why I would attach files if I don't edit them is beyond me, but hey, your words not mine. But I don't see how you've addressed the somewhat condescending tone of your post in question (which I viewed as a "bit out of line"). Once again, how are my needs simple? Are they somehow cro-magnon compared to your power-user status? What exactly is it that is simple about my needs, I'd like to know.
    you hinted that you were a "CPA" and would be using it to view homework assignments. to "me" viewing homework assignments (i'll assume accounting/math based) on an iPhone or any other tiny handheld is laughable at best. but hey, that's just my me.

hec, the term "power user" is one that i've questioned for years now, so i'm sorry if i can't answer your question, i'm not such one.

editing anything and being able to attach files are two entirely different things. do you understand the difference between the two?

as you state, and by your own admission above, your needs are simpleton (only view, no copy paste, no need to edit, you probably don't attach files), and if that doesn't make sense to you then i'm not sure what to say.

you asked our opinion if we thought the iPhone would suffice. each individual is entitled to his/her own opinion. clear?

if your needs are simple, then the iPhone should meet your needs. if they're not, then it probably won't. if that's too difficult for you to understand then i'm not sure what to say.

looks like your the one trying to pick the fight here. i began by saying "best success and have fun" but apparently those were too harsh of words to use.

whatever
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/19/2008 at 11:09 PM.
    I frequently read legal pleadings, court orders, patents, and other dense and lengthy pdf and word documents on my iphone - i think viewing homework assignments on the phone should work fine. In fact, I frequently use my iphone rather than my windows pc when i need to read a pdf quickly; our desktop machines suck.
    I frequently read legal pleadings, court orders, patents, and other dense and lengthy pdf and word documents on my iphone - i think viewing homework assignments on the phone should work fine. In fact, I frequently use my iphone rather than my windows pc when i need to read a pdf quickly; our desktop machines suck.
    Having spent 10 years of my life in the legal arena, I don't believe that for one second... sorry.

And if your desktops suck, hire a new "computer person."

(I'll save you time... I already know I'm presumptuous, stupid, sorry and any other bad word you can think of... )
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    well, don't believe it if you don't want to. i assure you it's true. the only phone i use is an iphone (no blackberry, no longer any treo). so whenever i am out of the office, it's the iphone i use to read attachments, which almost always are pdf.

as for "hire a new computer person," I work for one of the biggest law firms in the world, and they have an entire computer department, and therein lies the problem :-) We aren't permitted to use acrobat (we use a third-party pdf reader that takes so long just to fire up that i can generally skim the entire document on my phone before the desktop application even loads).
  18.    #38  
    you hinted that you were a "CPA" and would be using it to view homework assignments. to "me" viewing homework assignments (i'll assume accounting/math based) on an iPhone or any other tiny handheld is laughable at best. but hey, that's just my me.

hec, the term "power user" is one that i've questioned for years now, so i'm sorry if i can't answer your question, i'm not such one.

editing anything and being able to attach files are two entirely different things. do you understand the difference between the two?

as you state, and by your own admission above, your needs are simpleton (only view, no copy paste, no need to edit, you probably don't attach files), and if that doesn't make sense to you then i'm not sure what to say.

you asked our opinion if we thought the iPhone would suffice. each individual is entitled to his/her own opinion. clear?

if your needs are simple, then the iPhone should meet your needs. if they're not, then it probably won't. if that's too difficult for you to understand then i'm not sure what to say.

looks like your the one trying to pick the fight here. i began by saying "best success and have fun" but apparently those were too harsh of words to use.

whatever
    Given that homework submitted by my students is simpler than what I use as a CPA (by the way, I did state that I have two distinct jobs: one as a CPA - which by the way does not need apostrophes unless you're once again being condescending - and second as a teacher). If a student has a question on a specific problem (which can be a short essay question as much as it can be about numbers) and sends an attachment, why wouldn't I want to view it on my device and write a response back to the student as soon as I can? I think the 3.5" screen on an iPhone is more than big enough, given that I can do this on my Blackjack right now on it's diminutive 2.4" screen at a lower resolution? In case you didn't go to college, a lot of homework isn't overly complex, at least not at the introductory level for your major.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Once again, you're being condescending. Like I stated, for my main use as a teacher, I don't need to edit these files so what would I attach? I don't like to edit files on anything less than a laptop (which it appears that we agree on), but don't mind viewing them. The only things I normally attach to my emails on my device are pictures to my friends. My point was that since I don't need to edit my student's files, I don't have a need to attach Word/Excel/PPT slides to an email.

Now, my needs might be simple with regard to email - which I have stated. I don't understand how not really copy/pasting makes my needs "simpleton" however. And by YOUR admission, even viewing these documents that are math/accounting based is laughable, so why would I want to edit them on ANY smartphone? Does a BB with an even smaller screen make it a better choice to edit these documents? Of course not.

Of course we're all entitled to our opinions. However, you have absolutely NO entitlement to berate others or make otherwise snide passive-aggressive comments in an attempt to belittle others. I've seen your other posts, and I'm sure other members will agree. The entire tone of your posts are highly condescending. Now I'm not the one that decided to begin personally attacking you on a forum. I can stoop to your level, but I won't.

I've wasted more than enough time on this topic with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Having spent 10 years of my life in the legal arena, I don't believe that for one second... sorry.

And if your desktops suck, hire a new "computer person."

(I'll save you time... I already know I'm presumptuous, stupid, sorry and any other bad word you can think of... )
    I love it when somebody claims another persons opinion is wrong. You must go to the school of Surur.

I often email myself word attachments to view on my iPhone. I think it works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I often email myself word attachments to view on my iPhone. I think it works great.
    Thats very wrong. How could you do that!

Surur
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast