Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I made an honest effort to get used to this, but no luck so far -- I still find it pretty depressing.

Back on 28 May, to basically a whole lot of indifference, APC magazine published an interview with Palm CEO Ed Colligan. You may have noticed. Colligan took the opportunity to talk about the, um, future: http://apcmag.com/palm_readies_nextgen_web_20_os.htm

He said, freely paraphrasing...

• Palm will organize its business in three tiers:

(1) Enterprise = Treo,
      (2) "Prosumer" = "Nova" platform (to be named)
      (3) Consumer = Centro
    • Treos will be Windows Mobile only... because MS Exchange has killed any real alternative
    • "Nova," or Palm 2.0, or whatever, will not compete in the business arena with RIM, Symbian, or even... Apple
    • Centro will remain Palm OS (IOW, Garnet) for the foreseeable future; apparently because, for the price point, 1999 re-treaded is what you can expect.

It pains me to see Palm struggling all these years to rise from its own stupid ashes, with the resulting new platform wedged somewhere between text-happy teenagers and corporate minions.

I do not think Palm is going to have a very good time of it trying to beat iPhone at wowing well-heeled consumers.

I want to take a Linux-derived Palm device to work. I do not want to put up with a fat desktop OS corseted into a size 2 for mobiles. I do not want to see Treo competing on price-versus-chrome with everyone else's sub-setted Windows vehicle.

I guess Palm is either feeling weaker than I want to admit, or they are just much better about this whole reality thing than I am.

Yeah, that was a whole editorial. I guess I could be the last one who cares...
    I am sure that the new Nova phone will have solutions for both business and consumer users so don't be too distressed.

To say the least, i know Nova will be able to run Garnett apps and Chattermail should still be able to work
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    To say the least, i know Nova will be able to run Garnett apps and Chattermail should still be able to work
    That is a little bit encouraging, actually -- thanks! The "should" part gives me some butterflies, though.

It only makes sense that Garnet would get repotted, just to give baby Nova something more to do.

I can already see the entertaining comparisons: do Palm OS apps run better on Palm's gear... or on Apple's?
    Actually Marc Blank, the one who wrote Chatter, was hired by Palm, so with luck, the built in Nova email app will be as good as Chatter, if not better.
  5.    #5  
    Exchange ActiveSync with Exchange 2007. I don't care if it's easy, I just want it possible. That's the Rubicon a business-flavored Nova phone has to cross. Oh please, oh please...
    Well, I was partly right. I predicted in Oct of last year Palm would move to Window based units in the next 18 months.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=16
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    Well, I was partly right. I predicted in Oct of last year Palm would move to Window based units in the next 18 months.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=16
    Well, you were right about the Iphone still being around. The Palm OS will still be sold on Centros, Nova will be sold on some new brand name, and WM will be sold on Treos. The new WM Treos have Wifi, and I will be shocked if the new brand with Nova will not have Wifi. I am actually suprised that they are keeping the old Palm OS around with the Centro, but if they can sell a lot at a low price, it's a smart move.
    The fact that a $99 Centro does Exchange/AS and regular push email (Seven) out of the box should tell you something about how easy it is to implement some corporate base support.

In this regards, Nova will do as much as the iPhone, probably even more as Palm has a much closer relationship with MS than...ahem...Apple. So I'm sure MS can throw them some love here and there, lol.

Nova will just be
    • More flashy
    • Media centric
    • Varying form factors
    • Higher price point

Not that it'll be crippled in any way. Companies don't want to buy their employees $800 phones to ensure they have good YouTube support, lol.

The Treo now is in an odd position, it's kinda both their prosumer and business device, but that is more by accident/poor planning/rapid change in the market (iPhone)--but those are two different markets now with different needs and price points. It's hard to please both camps, so there has to be some compromises.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I would actually think Apple has a closer relationship with MS than does Palm. Is there a PalmBU at MS? And did MS invest in Palm? (Discounting the WM relationship; MS probably is not a big fan of helping out on Nova :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    I would actually think Apple has a closer relationship with MS than does Palm. Is there a PalmBU at MS? And did MS invest in Palm? (Discounting the WM relationship; MS probably is not a big fan of helping out on Nova :-)
    Well, here I'm limiting the relationship just to the mobile space obviously. But it's pretty well known that MS and Palm worked very closely together on the 700 series, including Palm working with MS engineers for modifying the OS. It was also a big win for the fledgling WM OS to get it on such a high-profile mobile device like the Treo (if I remember correctly, it's one of the few times Gates has co-announced a WM device with another CEO, Colligan).

Either way, MS doesn't really care about competition if licensing comes into play and there is zero reason to think that MS would not license AS/Exchange for Nova. I don't mean to suggest that MS and Palm would co-develop at any level Nova, just that if it is some technology you can license from MS, they'll sell it to anyone.

Plus, Nova will be very developer-friendly, so if there are holes I'm sure a lot of the typical Palm companies will step up and fill in the gaps.

Probably all true, though I suspect at the core MS considers everyone an enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I am actually suprised that they are keeping the old Palm OS around with the Centro, but if they can sell a lot at a low price, it's a smart move.
    The reason they are keeping it is because the product is out the door right now. They don't want to waste any $$$ to re-engineer the product. When, (actually IF) they get the linux OS out the door the next generation will have that OS. If the linux OS doesn't get out the door then its probably over to Windows...but by then it will be too late to grab any definable market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Plus, Nova will be very developer-friendly, so if there are holes I'm sure a lot of the typical Palm companies will step up and fill in the gaps.
    But will they still be around? Or will they be developing for Apple and Android by then? Seriously, given Palm's ability to push products out the door these companies may have moved on to Blackberry, Apple and Android by then and if Palm doesn't have that much market share it might not even be worth it to them to develop for it.

Android is moving along better than I think most people realize...

Linux released on a cell would have been great for palm two or three years ago... in 2009 when palm comes out with their phone, linux on it will receive a big yawn.

I'm wondering if developers will even care considering all the choices.... and with android being "giving away" palm won't be able to license their os. lol

I'm sure palm management is not happy right now....

But given where android is at, Nova better kick some serious....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I don't see any incentives for manufacturers to use Android. All companies are trying to use their own OS. Why control by others?
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    I don't see any incentives for manufacturers to use Android. All companies are trying to use their own OS. Why control by others?
    Far as I understand android won't be controlled by anyone....

What have you read about it?

Google is giving it away, like Microsoft did Internet Employer many years ago. Google has stated that anyone can add or take away whatever they wish. Google has said companies can remove all the google stuff if they wanted.

Basically, if developers start developing apps for it and it is a good OS, why would a nokia, samsung, htc, etc NOT use the OS. These same companies already license an OS from Microsoft....

Biggest point would be, why on earth would anyone license Nova.

But "IF" is the big IF here.... looks good in the demos, but who knows what google will put out.... most of the stuff out of google comes off as half-baked IMO. Actually, google search is the only thing I can think of that I love from google.
    Last edited by theog; 06/05/2008 at 11:02 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Thanks for your explanation.

I don't expect Palm will license Nova to other. (Some may say no company wants Nova. )
    Far as I understand android won't be controlled by anyone....

What have you read about it?
    It's sort of weird though. You can take anything you want from Android but you don't have to share with anyone what you've done with it. Meaning people can alter it anyway they want and it may restrict interoperability.

Think of the different levels here: hardware, carrier, software all having a say.

So I don't think it'll be some commie-hippie software playground, which is how sometimes I think Android is passed off (not by Google, nor necessarily yourself). I guess I just don't have faith in 20-30 corporations cooperating on anything and having it turn out well.
    Actually, it's not even a question.

Palm has no plans on licensing Nova at all. It will be all in-house only, much like Apple and mobile OSX.

What Palm may have to offer and which Google and others lack (except Apple) is the ability to manipulate the hardware and software to such an extent so as to make a really good, fluid UI experience.

Although it is getting better, many WM devices feel "odd" because the OS was not modified and just slapped on some hardware.

As if Palm thinks the old Palm OS compares to this patent application filed by Apple and which is going to be on the new 3G iPhone:

GPS Module
    Video Conference Module
    Instant Messaging Module
    Blogging Module
    Search Module
    Virtual Click Wheel

and

"an optical sensor is located on the front of the device so that the user's image may be obtained for videoconferencing while the user views the other video conference participants on the touch screen display".

Yeah, some die hards here are going to say you can get some of this with add-ons now, but look at the advancement Apple is making is just a year and all of these will be included in the price. By the time 2009 comes around Apple will be on the 3rd generation/iteration adding more. If Nova is shooting for last year's standard they will be obsolete, if they just emulate this year's software they will be behind. Nova will have to have all of this plus more just to come out next year to compete. I just don't think Palm has the talent left to innovate that much. I'm willing to bet that Nova's main innovation will be that it is in Linux. That's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    So I don't think it'll be some commie-hippie software playground, which is how sometimes I think Android is passed off (not by Google, nor necessarily yourself).
    Obviously the OS will come with some software... and I'm sure developers will develop some good apps.

I can't see a reason why htc, nokia, or samsung would ship an android touch screen pda without an email application. Or a pictures application. Can you see that happening? Am I seriously missing something?

You do bring up an excellent point though... someone could take it and strip it down and build their own closed source apps that only install on their version of the OS. That is possible... but I don't see that happening.

Palm has no plans on licensing Nova at all. It will be all in-house only, much like Apple and mobile OSX.
    I would have thought that would have been in the cards.... I've not read otherwise... although, I'm sure it could be that palm has no plans to license nova.

What Palm may have to offer and which Google and others lack (except Apple) is the ability to manipulate the hardware and software to such an extent so as to make a really good, fluid UI experience.
    True...

Although it is getting better, many WM devices feel "odd" because the OS was not modified and just slapped on some hardware.

I still can't wait until my treo 800w. Soon as the guinie pigs -- I mean the early adopters test it and approve. Then I'll pull the trigger.

I'm definitely not waiting on a google device... I'm thinking it is either going to rock like AC/DC or bomb like Vanilla Ice. It has to be better than win 6.1... or perceived to be better.. IMO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast