Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    why's that? a little circle with a number in it is annoying? Even if you had a 100 apps, how many are updated each day?

It's not like Windows where you get a modal dialog nagging you to reboot and refusing to go away :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Pretty sweet, but i didn't catch whether it does pitch-by-pitch? also, how about opening up mlb.tv to iphone? then i'd really be in heaven. of course, they're a silverlight shop now....
    Yes, it updates pitch for pitch (I think the bottom of screenshot shows it). It will also show in game video highlights as the game is going on.
    why's that? a little circle with a number in it is annoying? Even if you had a 100 apps, how many are updated each day?

It's not like Windows where you get a modal dialog nagging you to reboot and refusing to go away :-)

Totally agree. I think this is a fantastic way to show updates.
  4.    #44  

Not the circle, but constant updates. Imagine you have 15 apps, and each is updated once every 3 months. Every week you will be promted to re-install.

Think mac or windows updates. Annoying.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Not the circle, but constant updates. Imagine you have 15 apps, and each is updated once every 3 months. Every week you will be promted to re-install.

Surur
    I would be more than happy to update my apps every 3 months for new fixes and feature. My goodness, you will complain about anything.
    How are mac updates annoying? they typically happen in the background and don't require any reboot. and, again, you aren't "prompted to reinstall" in the scheme i suggested - you simply see a little indication that you have updates waiting. Whenever you feel like it you go to the app, tap the screen a couple of times, and you get new versions.

THis versus the palm/wm constantly poll developer's websites and see if there are any updates, after first checking your "about" box to see what version you already have approach.
    That's true (the update thing). If they do something like badge the appstore icon to let you know that you have updates w/o having to even open the app, that would be particularly cool.
    That's exactly what they're doing (shown in the WWDC keynote).

EDIT. 01:03:20 in the video here:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I would be more than happy to update my apps every 3 months for new fixes and feature.
    Me too.
  9.    #49  
    I would be more than happy to update my apps every 3 months for new fixes and feature. My goodness, you will complain about anything.
    But would you be happy to go through the little routine every week, just to clear the little circle?

Wasn't there one of you here who complained about annoying notifications and how disruptive they are?

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I would be more than happy to update my apps every 3 months for new fixes and feature.
    And if you were overseas, paying $$$ per megabyte?

(I'd say "roaming", but I don't know if that works the same way for data in the US)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    And if you were overseas, paying $$$ per megabyte?

(I'd say "roaming", but I don't know if that works the same way for data in the US)
    You can use the App Store via itunes on your computer. I dont see why you couldnt update and sync.
  12.    #52  
    Constant small updates can be annoying. Just as PSP users, or even iPhone users in the early days,when Apple still did regular updates.

surur
    Oh nonsense Surur. You are comparing firmware updates to replacing an application? One requires a long download process, a power cord, countless "screw this up and your device is fried" notifications, and a reboot or three. The other happens nearly instantaneously and has almost no effect on the user. (remember - on mac/iphone, "applications" are a single "bundle" - that is, a single "file." No registry, windows/system, etc. junk. )

As for notifications, there are only a few ways to go:

1) the windows way: interrupt the user. refuse to go away. force the user to take action. sometimes offer the user the ability to make the dialog go away, but then come back later and annoy the user again. Sometimes refuse to go away until the user does something.

2) automatic background updates. This is the easiest on the user, but for mission critical applications it's verboten.

3) require the user to constantly poll to figure out if maybe there is something new. In windowsland, you do this in each program using a different menu option or have to go to a website to do it.

4) gently inform the user that there's something new, but don't require user action. Other than people with OCD, no one is forced to make the badge go away. Ideally, apple would color code the thing (green=feature updates, yellow=stability updates, red=security updates, or whatever). Even more preferably, allow the user to choose not to be notified unless particular criteria are met (i only want security updates, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    That's exactly what they're doing (shown in the WWDC keynote).

EDIT. 01:03:20 in the video here:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
    I would like to watch it, but Im getting "Server not found".
    Again, in some way, some how, Apple has again made people believe they invented a feature that has been around for ages.
    Agreed on this, though I think a central store for Apps is a good thing. Sure, WM devices do it, but honestly, there's so many different places to get apps for WM that its doomed to fail. Not to mention that I agree with others that an application to notify of updates would be nice, rather than every time I open an app getting a message that its going to check for updates.

I entirely dislike the iPhone, not because I really have any particular problem with it, but really because they're only now starting to include things that other phones have done for years and passing it off as new and hip.

However, I will say this. I am VERY envious of the all of a sudden developer support that they're getting. WM and Palm couldn't dream of this kind of attention (even back in the good days for Palm.)
    I would like to watch it, but Im getting "Server not found".
    Me too now. The HD stream works though.

This one has stuff about the app store too - and the clearer pics of the update procedure (starts a bit before 01:04):

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/iphoneroadmap/
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Me too now. The HD stream works though.

This one has stuff about the app store too - and the clearer pics of the update procedure (starts a bit before 01:04):

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/iphoneroadmap/

Downloaded the keynote in itunes and watching it now. I love the water droplet game, the music band generator, an the baseball app. I found it funny when they made fun of the task manager on windows mobile.
    In fact, do many of AT&T's phones not come with Handango InHand, which is exactly that?
    http://www.handango.com/client/Home.jsp

Surur
    And even if you don't have that, you can still download the .cab directly to your WM phone or have the .cab sent to your phone in some stores. And you won't be tied down to ONE store!! And MSFT does NOT need to approve or disapprove of most of the apps available for it. You're free to test as you want.

Of course I can understand why Apple may want so much control over what apps you install; it will cut down on phone crashes and support calls. But with the option to uninstall any trial on WM, if you get a bad app, it's not like it's a pain to uninstall. I just uninstalled a trial I didn't like today on my 8525. The phone still works fine. Unless an app is so badly written it's like a virus or something(which they probably wouldn't even allow in most paid software stores, with free software you do take your chances), usually a simple uninstall and reboot is all you need to get the phone working again without glitches.

I think Apple could loosen up the controls on software downloads, after all they have a restore and back-up option.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Agreed on this, though I think a central store for Apps is a good thing. Sure, WM devices do it, but honestly, there's so many different places to get apps for WM that its doomed to fail.

Please explain how it's doomed to fail.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Surur
    To be honest, I check for updates a lot myself on WM apps, so this wouldn't be a problem for me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast