Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    What do you think of the 850 then?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    Obviously, everyone's needs are different. But here's a run down as to why I think Microsoft is behind and Apple is ahead on this curve:

8GB of storage - no expansion and I know the Sammy phone packs 8/16 storage, but here it is almost a year after the first 8GB iPhone was introduced.
    3.5" screen - God I miss my PPC-6600... I used to stream TV on it all the time. When I had a 6700 and with my Treo and the 6800 I tried out i don't even bother.
    Software store with purchases, downloads and installs right on the phone. This is one area Microsoft is way behind in.
    Standard 3.5mm headphone jack - honestly, i own a pair of BT stereo headphones and they're crap. Probably not the best $100 I've spent. I ended up using a pair of earbuds instead.
    Nice apps - like Safari, Youtube, google maps, etc all built in with more free apps on the way via the software store.

I know some of this stuff is fixable with WinMo but I'm just tired of tinkering with my phones. That's why I have the Treo 700wx now. I want it to just work without me having to do anything to it. 2 years ago, I said I would never be a Treo user. I've had this thing almost 2 years now. A year ago, I shrugged off the iPhone as a poor man's smartphone. Now I can't wait to pick one up and leave Sprint behind.

I think there's no room for fanboyism and you have to keep your mind open to new and exciting things and right now Apple has it. The WinMo landscape is just a mess right now, IMO, and no one is target what I'm looking for, except Palm. I've had a good long run with Windows Mobile. I like to consider myself somewhat of an advanced WM user, but the fact is I'm tired of dealing with it. Hopefully something enticing on the WM side can bring me back in a year or two but we'll have to wait and see. I don't think WM7 is going to be the answer to anyone's prayers. Maybe WM8. That's why I don't get your blog entry of "it seemed to have landed with rather a damp squib." It landed like that for you, not everyone.

Either that, or OS X is where disgruntled Windows Mobile users go to die...
    Does not sound like you described exactly how iphone is ahead of winmob.... More like reasons why you want an iphone.

And if you don't want to "tinker" with your winmob device, then stop tinkering with it.

Or does it call out to you in the dead of night, "bearxor, come to me. Come tinker!"
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    Software store with purchases, downloads and installs right on the phone. This is one area Microsoft is way behind in.
    HOW? You can do this on WM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What do you think of the 850 then?
    i don't as i would never contemplate its purchase.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    HOW? You can do this on WM.
    In fact, do many of AT&T's phones not come with Handango InHand, which is exactly that?
    http://www.handango.com/client/Home.jsp

Surur
    even my sprint treo 650 had some sort of crappy on-the-fly app store. it was pretty crappy for sure.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    even my sprint treo 650 had some sort of crappy on-the-fly app store. it was pretty crappy for sure.
    Exactly. Dont most dumb phones have a client on the phone to buy games and ring tones?

Again, in some way, some how, Apple has again made people believe they invented a feature that has been around for ages.

How do they do that, and how do I get in on that scam?

Surur
    The trick isn't to invent the features; it's to pick the right combination and to implement them properly. When you do it right, it feels and looks so different that people forget about the original.
  9.    #29  
    Or you could spend $300 million on marketing. Ive heard that works too.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Or you could spend $300 million on marketing.
    But Apple haven't as far I can see. Have they spent anything on marketing the app store yet?

Ive heard that works too.
    I'm sure he has
    For the record, Nokia have an app store you can access from their devices too. It's dreadful.
    Coming to this thread a little late...

"Rumours suggest that Microsoft and HTC will combine in early June to launch several new Windows Mobile phones, and to start talking about Windows Mobile v 7". So are we actually going to see WM7 soon? In my book early June is over.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    For the record, Nokia have an app store you can access from their devices too. It's dreadful.
    But for some reason some of us assume Apple's appstore will be better.

When I decide to buy an app its usually after a lot of deliberation, reading of reviews, and looking at what competing apps offer. Just clicking buy after seeing the icon, 10 word description and a few screen shots would seem stupid to me.

If all these other devices have app stores too, why do people assume developers are going to make so much more from the iConsystem?

Surur
    Have you seen Nokia's effort? It's the slowest, most badly organised attempt with a pitifully small applications you can imagine. It can't be searched in any way except drilling down into each category (it's categorised by developer) to see what's there. I'd count the current number of apps, but I've been through each category once before (total was probably about 20 then) and it's too tedious a process to contemplate doing again. I do assume (based on seeing the demo in the keynote) that Apple's effort will be hugely better. I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.
    When I decide to buy an app its usually after a lot of deliberation, reading of reviews, and looking at what competing apps offer. Just clicking buy after seeing the icon, 10 word description and a few screen shots would seem stupid to me.
    I'm not a big consumer of third-party apps (I can count those I would want on the new iPhone if not on the fingers of one hand then on the fingers of two) but I do deliberate and read the reviews too. I can't for the life of me see how Apple's app store would prevent me from doing that. Hopefully it will just make the buying and (especially) update process nice and simple. The update notifications seem like a damn fine idea to me, and one I've not seen for other mobile app stores.
    Did Apple claim to invent the OTA App store? If they did thats wrong. I think they will perfect the experience though. Some of the apps look really neat. The one from the keynote that caught my eye was the app made by MLB. I am a huge baseball fan, and even though my beloved Mets are awful, I like to keep tabs on the score. Provides live scoring and real-time video highlights of games.

If all these other devices have app stores too, why do people assume developers are going to make so much more from the iConsystem?

Surur
    2 things:

1) you can also use itunes (on a pc/mac) to buy apps, and people like itunes for music, movies, etc., so they assume it will be good for apps

2) the on-phone itunes app is also pretty highly praised. again, the app store is likely to behave similarly to the music store on the phone.

and

0) most of the time, when apple does something, they do a pretty good job of it. they have their screw-ups, but more often than not they don't suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Did Apple claim to invent the OTA App store? If they did thats wrong. I think they will perfect the experience though. Some of the apps look really neat. The one from the keynote that caught my eye was the app made by MLB. I am a huge baseball fan, and even though my beloved Mets are awful, I like to keep tabs on the score. Provides live scoring and real-time video highlights of games.

Pretty sweet, but i didn't catch whether it does pitch-by-pitch? also, how about opening up mlb.tv to iphone? then i'd really be in heaven. of course, they're a silverlight shop now....
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I'm not a big consumer of third-party apps (I can count those I would want on the new iPhone if not on the fingers of one hand then on the fingers of two) but I do deliberate and read the reviews too. I can't for the life of me see how Apple's app store would prevent me from doing that. Hopefully it will just make the buying and (especially) update process nice and simple. The update notifications seem like a damn fine idea to me, and one I've not seen for other mobile app stores.
    That's true (the update thing). If they do something like badge the appstore icon to let you know that you have updates w/o having to even open the app, that would be particularly cool.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    That's true (the update thing). If they do something like badge the appstore icon to let you know that you have updates w/o having to even open the app, that would be particularly cool.
    I suspect, if you had a number of apps installed, that would get annoying very quickly.

Surur
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast