1.    #1  
    I have no loyalty to Palm, Windows Mobile, or Blackberry. My loyalty is to a device that works. I have been supporting Treos (all models from 650 up) and Blackberrys for the last 3 years.

I have had nothing but issues for my users. And this is with 2 different companies I've supported. Don't say it is the software either, the only 3rd party software on there is Good. As far as I know that is a respected software and certified for use on the Treo.

In a nutshell the issues are random restarts, freezing, horrible reception, touchscreen stops working, can't hear the person calling, person calling can't hear you, phone never works without a reset when traveling more that an hour or so from your home network. These are all issues for multiple users that happened over time. I've had multiple users that have there phone replaced multiple times per year.

Say what you want and I know the Palm defenders will come out but it is just not a good device. I'm not saying Blackberry doesn't have its issues but nothing near Palm. The new Blackberrys are cheaper and better for data and voice than the Treo. Plain and simple.

Again one persons opinion but I speak for a lot of my users as well. And yes this is my first post. I've come to this forum many times as a guest for support and this time I had to register and vent after a long line of Treo issues over the years.
    Well, if I were you, I wouldn't be using PalmOS devices, then. Maybe you should try a tracfone?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw08 View Post
    I have no loyalty to Palm, Windows Mobile, or Blackberry. My loyalty is to a device that works. I have been supporting Treos (all models from 650 up) and Blackberrys for the last 3 years.

I have had nothing but issues for my users. And this is with 2 different companies I've supported. Don't say it is the software either, the only 3rd party software on there is Good. As far as I know that is a respected software and certified for use on the Treo.

In a nutshell the issues are random restarts, freezing, horrible reception, touchscreen stops working, can't hear the person calling, person calling can't hear you, phone never works without a reset when traveling more that an hour or so from your home network. These are all issues for multiple users that happened over time. I've had multiple users that have there phone replaced multiple times per year.

Say what you want and I know the Palm defenders will come out but it is just not a good device. I'm not saying Blackberry doesn't have its issues but nothing near Palm. The new Blackberrys are cheaper and better for data and voice than the Treo. Plain and simple.

Again one persons opinion but I speak for a lot of my users as well. And yes this is my first post. I've come to this forum many times as a guest for support and this time I had to register and vent after a long line of Treo issues over the years.
    Okay.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

Here is a phone that works perfectly for you: Scroll down

I tried using a Treo 650 in a corporate environment and it was nearly impossible, mostly due to VersaMail issues with Exchange. I was also trying to get my VP's 650 working without success.

That said, the latest Centro is a huge improvement and have worked seamlessly for me in the past 6 months.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Each to his own. I have had all of the Treos from the 300 and now with the Centro - a very good device. In addition to the Palm OS Treos, I have also had the 700w and 3 other WM devices - the Centro has been the best so far. I use mine for HOURS at a time with Documents to Go, ChatterEmail and HanDBase.
    I think your points are mostly valid. Palm's quality control has been wanting for some time. In fact they lost more money then they expected two quarters ago and the reason Colligen gave was the unexpected high number of returns. However, when the device does not have any defects, which is mostly true of my 755p, then it is a great phone.
    It sounds like you need to get two cans and some string. Use good string or you'll be complaining about that too.
    The Centro is a good phone.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    You've nailed it - and it's why future-former Palm users are increasingly looking elsewhere for their mobile needs. I started out with the Springboard Phone ( ) and stuck with the Treo from the 180 through the 650. During that time Handspring (now Palm) allowed their unequaled technological lead in the converged device market to erode to the point that their phones are now marginally acceptable if you need reliability (and capability, but to a lesser degree). Right now I prefer Blackberry as my reliable, capable phone. That will likely change in the future, but the lackluster performance by Palm in the last 3-4 years doesn't bode well for my switching back to their once fine products.
    iPhone does less than Palm which is how Apple keeps its OS secure from an overage of freezes/lockups.
    In Palm's defense, some failures are a result of so many available Palm apps and hacks placed on teh device, some are bound not to play well with others and when that happens -- resets. SkinUI is a great new app, probably excellent, but on my current 650, it will not answer a call without resetting. But I do not want to go back through possible application conflicts to identify the culprit so I remove the new app. While I am looking at iPod, post Treo 650.
    ^exactly.

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion & all but I'm getting tired of hearing people gripe about Palm. You don't like it? Go get an iphone or a blackberry & quit crying to us about it. I have used Treos since January 28th, 2005(yes, I'm such a dork that I remember the exact date because it was the night of the awesome Behemoth concert I went to), and they have brought me nothing but joy & have enriched my quality of life. I've had the 650, the 700p, the Centro, and now the 755p. Before that I had a palm m130, a tungsten E, and a Zire 72. I also have a nonfunctioning PalmPilot professional in my ancient computer museum So suffice to say that i know just a little bit about palms. And I don't see what everyone's big problems are with them.

I have used other devices, and after ripping my hair out from frustration at the whole OTHER set of problems they possessed, I returned to Palm. People like to gripe about Palm, but they're the best. A Treo isn't all pretty & pseudo-elite like an iphone, but it does everything an iphone does & MORE. I've never had any major issues, other than the chrome area around the screen on my Treos cracking a bit too easily.

NO phone is going to work flawlessly, just like no computer will. Even if you completely lock it down, install NO programs, and keep usage to a minimum, you will still encounter problems. Thats just the nature of electronic devices.

I suggest you stick to landlines.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I know everyone's entitled to their opinion & all but I'm getting tired of hearing people gripe about Palm.
    Thank you for allowing us our opinion - I always enjoy reading the viewpoints of others. Luckily, it's easy for you to skip the opinions you don't like - simply don't read them.

I've had the 650, the 700p, the Centro, and now the 755p.
    So you're relatively new to the Treo then. Back in the day (Visorphone, 180, 270, 300, 600), Palm (actually Handspring) was leading the pack with real, ground-breaking innovation. The 650 marked the beginning of the end as it offered little new technology over the 600 (which was revolutionary) and began the long chain of mediocre "improvements" with seemingly lackluster involvement by the innovators. It's been sad to watch.

So suffice to say that i know just a little bit about palms. And I don't see what everyone's big problems are with them.
    OMG - you sound like my 87-year-old father and VCRs. My siblings and I have tried to get him to upgrade to a DVD player or a DVR, but he already knows a lot about VCRs and can't understand everyone's problem with them. I guess some folks get comfortable with something and aren't interested in exploring the new stuff. It's a common viewpoint.
  13.    #13  
    I've been labeled a "complainer" by some. I guess it is to much to ask for one of the most expensive phones on the market to work consistently over time?

There is a reason you get a lot of people complaining in these forums.
    I've had a Palm device since my Palm Pilot professional (actually a US Robotics product), latest is a Treo 680 that I've used for about 18 months now.

I sell enterprise software for a living, am on the road a fair amount and would classify myself as a savvy business user.

I plan to dump my Treo and Palm when the v2 of the iPhone comes out in the next month or so. The Treo's resets (several a week) and often slow response of the device make it more cumbersome to use than I want in a mobile device. I don't expect any smartphone to be perfect, I know they aren't perfect - but the Treo and the Palm OS is pretty dated at this point.

Somewhat an aside: Just do a search in this forum for "reset" and compare the results to the same done on phonedifferent (iPhone's forum) and you can see that the iPhone, even "jailbroken" to add third party applications, seems to have fewer issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by renn View Post
    iPhone does less than Palm which is how Apple keeps its OS secure from an overage of freezes/lockups.
    In Palm's defense, some failures are a result of so many available Palm apps and hacks placed on teh device, some are bound not to play well with others and when that happens -- resets. SkinUI is a great new app, probably excellent, but on my current 650, it will not answer a call without resetting. But I do not want to go back through possible application conflicts to identify the culprit so I remove the new app. While I am looking at iPod, post Treo 650.
    No doubt that third party apps do cause a lot of the resets. But there are also a plethora of quality control problems that emerge on Palm phones without any third party apps (save the ones bundled with it). When Palm's CEO says they have a quality control problem then believe they have one. Read through some of these threads and you'll hear of people returning phones several times before happening on one that actually works as advertised. I have never had to return my 755p, but it has had the intermittent updater problem (which may be more attributable to Sprint), the silent speaker problem (due to the poorly soldered wire jack), the invisible card problem (granted this one is due in part to third part software), and intermittent phone turning itself off and on intermittently. My daughter's Centro was replaced three times. Her bundled IM app didn't work on one phone. On another the battery kept overheating and turning the phone off (we tested the battery and it was fine...there was something wrong with the phone).

While all products have a certain amount of defects that are determined to be acceptable, Palm's has been well beyond the acceptable level. Again, see Colligen's own statements, if you don't believe me. The big question now, is...what is Palm doing about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    I plan to dump my Treo and Palm when the v2 of the iPhone comes out in the next month or so.
    Now you can dump your treo and not give up on the 3rd party software. Styletap is releasing a Palm Emulator for iPhone/iPod Touch. Is there any reason to stick with Palm now?
    I'm just sick of getting on the forums & seeing thread after thread of "I hate my Treo!". Just go buy your iphone, ebay the Treo, and quit griping.

I guess I am an old fart, but I've found something I like that works well for me. There is a Palm app for every need I have, the form factor is great, and I have roughly 80 third party apps installed not even counting all the hacks and I get MAYBE one or two resets a week. I see no reason to "upgrade" to some flashy new fashion statement just cause it's new. Sometimes the old ways are best. For the record I still use a VCR too
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    I'm just sick of getting on the forums & seeing thread after thread of "I hate my Treo!". Just go buy your iphone, ebay the Treo, and quit griping.

I guess I am an old fart, but I've found something I like that works well for me. There is a Palm app for every need I have, the form factor is great, and I have roughly 80 third party apps installed not even counting all the hacks and I get MAYBE one or two resets a week. I see no reason to "upgrade" to some flashy new fashion statement just cause it's new. Sometimes the old ways are best. For the record I still use a VCR too
    Fully agree with you. I used the Palm since Palm Pilot after that I switched to Palm PC and back to Palm until the PocketPC. I'd just walked away from all Palm related forums and joined the Pocket PC related forums. Once you switched to other platform, why you bother. Of course, everyone has the right to voice out their thinking.

I fully agree with the idea of trying new things. If we don't try something new, we won't know about any new things or features which can help us to improve our life or productivity. Trying new things is different from using new things, when we decide whether to use the new things is based on our needs and preferences. The most important is which one is best suited for you not which one is newer. For my case, I was trying the Windows Vista for a month then I decided to use Windows XP.

For me, I also provide the IT support to users. I found that a lot of problems are caused by hardware, software and users problems. I understand the frustration But I look at it from another angle. I told my colleagues because of these problems we got the job.
    Last edited by GFONG; 05/31/2008 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The 650 marked the beginning of the end as it offered little new technology over the 600 (which was revolutionary) and began the long chain of mediocre "improvements" with seemingly lackluster involvement by the innovators. It's been sad to watch.
    Hmm...

I'd call EVDO, a removable battery, Bluetooth, and an updated 320x240 screen all important improvements over the Treo 650. The only thing I think that truly should have followed from the Treo 600 to new versions was the dock connector, which IMO is far more robust. I think the 650p was leaps and bounds over the 600 in many ways.

I like the Palm platform. That said, I think Palm has serious problems as a company. OS stagnation, which would be fine, if PalmOS Garnet was up to the task (in this day and age, it isn't). Poor customer service, as any Treo 700p owner could attest to. The inability to truly innovate (i.e., add features until it's far too late if ever, such as WiFi, GPS, voice-activated dialing without 3rd-party software which doesn't work over Bluetooth, support of a major web browser, etc.). Palm Desktop (interface is okay but dated, but the underpinnings just bite).

To me, the features Palm has going for it are going to eventually be left in the dust by others: decent third-party apps, a good GUI, and a great QWERTY keyboard can be done by others. At that point, if Palm has nothing other than what they have now, they will lose the game, to be bought out by someone who is better at managing the software side of the company. Palm's biggest weakness is there. They need a modern OS with protected memory support. They need to ensure good relations with developers throughout the transition to this OS. And they need a new Palm Desktop, one designed for corporate networks (read: it shouldn't require local Administrator rights to run properly, and its installer shouldn't be a borked piece of trash that causes issues if you try to use "Run As..." to install it) and it ought to work a darned sight better with Outlook (we stopped using it here, it caused too many issues with duplicate contacts and calendar events).

I want Palm to succeed; I just don't think they have the desire to be more than what they are. If that's the case, they'll eventually die. I hope for their sake (and mine) that I'm wrong.
    Last edited by LoneWolf15; 06/09/2008 at 09:26 AM.