Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I am a long time Palm user currently with the 755. I love all the ways one can customize a Treo with software but I seem to be having more and more problems with resets these days. I have done the hard reset and reinstall route and resets come back in a short while.

I have been considering a Curve and wonder about the PIM software that comes with it. I am a Datebk6 user and really like the ways I can customize everything. Is there someplace I can go to learn about the capabilities of the Curve PIM software? Thanks.
    Last edited by eharty; 05/22/2008 at 05:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I went and looked at a Sprint Curve today. I was SHOCKED at the lack of a calender. NO CATEGORIES!! Everything you know about Palm's PIM does not exist in Blackberry. I have one coming tomorrow to test it out, but I think that it will be going back quickly. I will post a comprehensive review once I'm done.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Please do! I am planning to jump aboard the blackberry bold train once its in town...

I'm curious to hear how the "tasks", "memos", "calendar" , "contacts" and web browser compares to that on the treo.

Thanks. akula.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I went and looked at a Sprint Curve today. I was SHOCKED at the lack of a calender. NO CATEGORIES!! Everything you know about Palm's PIM does not exist in Blackberry. I have one coming tomorrow to test it out, but I think that it will be going back quickly. I will post a comprehensive review once I'm done.
    I am looking forward to hearing your impressions. The Palm OS is obviously old and not particularly stable but some of the apps available are terrific. I would like more stability but not at the expense of productivity.
    I just got a Sprint Curve, and I'm somewhat impressed. First off, it's something new to play with, so, that helps.

As for the Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Memos, and Browser...

Calendar...no categories. I don't like that, but, I hear it's supposed to come in a future OS upgrade, which one is coming in the next month or so (so I've read). Inputting new dates is different than on a Treo, but pretty straight forward.

Tasks...lets you show if the task is in progress, waiting, completed, not started, or deferred. How this will sync with iCal, Entourage, or Outlook, I'm not sure. I haven't had to put any Tasks since I got it (I don't use it that much, used it a lot in school though).

Contacts...entry's the same as the others. I'm finding it's not syncing birth and anniversary dates and PIN with Mac OS X's Address Book, and if I enter them into the BlackBerry, they do not change on the Mac. I am using The Missing Sync, so it may be something on their end. I think this one you can assign categories, and you can also put a contact into more than one category.

Memos...nothing big. You select new, type, and save. Again, no Categories.

Browser...I like it a lot more than on the Treo. It's pretty quick, and the ability to use the trackball to navigate and select links is a lot easier than using a D-Pad or a fingernail.

If y'all have any other questions, or would like me to look into anything else, let me know. I find it weird I'm still coming back here, even though I don't own a Treo (well, mine's going up for sale soon). I guess I'll still be a Treo fan at heart.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    davidg4781,

Thanks for the post on the Curve. I do have a few questions, if you don't mind.

- Can the calendar app do floating events like Datebk6. If you are not familiar with Datebk6, floating events are like undated ToDo’s but are stored in the appt database and can have repeats like events. They are automatically advanced day by day until checked off.

- Does the Curve handle HTML email or does it convert everything to text?

- Can you create and edit MS Office documents or just view them?

- Do you need a special BB data plan? I thought about changing to a BB last year but I was told I needed a BB data plan for $40 extra per month.

Thanks and good luck with the new Curve.
    Last edited by eharty; 05/25/2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    davidg4781,

Thanks for the post on the Curve. I do have a few questions, if you don't mind.

- Can the calendar app do floating events like Datebk6. If you are not familiar with Datebk6, floating events are like undated ToDo’s but are stored in the appt database and can have repeats like events. They are automatically advanced day by day until checked off.

- Does the Curve handle HTML email or does it convert everything to text?

- Can you create and edit MS Office documents or just view them?

- Do you need a special BB data plan? I thought about changing to a BB last year but I was told I needed a BB data plan for $40 extra per month.

Thanks and good luck with the new Curve.
    Can you give me an example of the floating event thing? I made a task to pick up my clothes from the cleaners by Saturday at 5. It'll show on the calendar, but it doesn't show I need to pick them up today. I guess it can't do it stock, but an add on may be able to.

For HTML email, I believe you have to purchase a $30-40 software, one of which is called Empower (I think that's what everyone likes) and BBSmart Email Viewer. I haven't tried either of them, and there's supposed to be an update which includes this in a future OS version (I'm not sure if that's just on new devices, or if older ones get it too).

Out of the box, there's no doc view on the curve, but DataViz is launching Documents to Go Premium Edition in June 2008. This should be just as it is on the Treo.

As for the BB Data plan, I think you can cancel it once you get your phone (may have to wait till you get your rebate, if you get one), but you won't be able to access any kind of data. I think it all comes together. For me, it's $30 on Sprint. I had a family plan, but if I had an individual plan, I would have had to drop my $15 PV, $15 unlimited text to add the $30 BB plan, which included Sprint Navigation ($10/month value), unlimited data, text, and SprintTV and Sprint Music. If bought separately, it comes out to more than $30, so if you need data, text, and maybe navigation, it comes out as a wash.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Can you give me an example of the floating event thing? I made a task to pick up my clothes from the cleaners by Saturday at 5. It'll show on the calendar, but it doesn't show I need to pick them up today. I guess it can't do it stock, but an add on may be able to.

For HTML email, I believe you have to purchase a $30-40 software, one of which is called Empower (I think that's what everyone likes) and BBSmart Email Viewer. I haven't tried either of them, and there's supposed to be an update which includes this in a future OS version (I'm not sure if that's just on new devices, or if older ones get it too).

Out of the box, there's no doc view on the curve, but DataViz is launching Documents to Go Premium Edition in June 2008. This should be just as it is on the Treo.

As for the BB Data plan, I think you can cancel it once you get your phone (may have to wait till you get your rebate, if you get one), but you won't be able to access any kind of data. I think it all comes together. For me, it's $30 on Sprint. I had a family plan, but if I had an individual plan, I would have had to drop my $15 PV, $15 unlimited text to add the $30 BB plan, which included Sprint Navigation ($10/month value), unlimited data, text, and SprintTV and Sprint Music. If bought separately, it comes out to more than $30, so if you need data, text, and maybe navigation, it comes out as a wash.
    Regarding the floating event...your example of picking up clothes from the cleaners by 5 on Saturday is a good one. If you were unable to get there to pick up the clothes on Saturday, and check it off as complete, then the event would roll over to Sunday and show on the calendar. It will keep rolling to the next day until it is checked off as done.

I know BlackBerry is still transitioning from primarily an email/IM device to a PDA more like the Treo. So, I am sure they will get to HTML email support sooner than later. The same is probably true for MS Office support.

The data plan you mentioned is good news. Previously I was told that I neded a PV plan for $25 PLUS a BB data plan for $40.

Thanks for the info...let us know how things are going as you get more accustomed to the Curve.
    There's a Today Theme that shows Messages, Calendar, and Call Log on the "home screen," but this doesn't have tasks either. You may have to actually open the Tasks application to see what's going on.

As for the data plan, if you want BIS (more consumer) it's $30. For BES, it's more, I think there are two different choices. That one doesn't come with some of the goodies BIS comes with, but it will connect you to your work's email and such.

When I activated the Curve in store, the guy said I had to get the $40 plan, since the $30 one wasn't available on this phone. I said ok, sure, and called Sprint as I was walking out to fix it. Either he didn't know what was going on (they didn't even have these phones in store yet, so it's kind of understandable) or he just tried to get a sale on PAM, but everything's fine now, and I'm paying $30/month for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    Regarding the floating event...your example of picking up clothes from the cleaners by 5 on Saturday is a good one. If you were unable to get there to pick up the clothes on Saturday, and check it off as complete, then the event would roll over to Sunday and show on the calendar. It will keep rolling to the next day until it is checked off as done.

yes this is the only feature that palm os has and other doesn't
    i'm a task man. all i want is my task remind me every day about something until i mark it complete. not like windows or symbian or blackberry, they only ring alarm for the date i set. and if it isn't complete they just floating without any other reminder.
    already check pocket informant and agendus for blackberry none of them could catchup with palmos.

PS: about pocket informant and agendus i pick PI. agendus is good and full of good stuff, like qoute of the day, weather forecast. but it just not suite. pocket informant is more simple but very powerfull.

*i love my centro but i want to move to my javelin -sigh
    Fossil WristPDA ->death
    Tapwave Zodiac 2
    Treo 680 ->white Centro
    <still> perfect gadgets for my life