Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it me or has the PC era just fizzled. The PC Expo was a great example of how PC aren't a big deal anymore. Its like you seen one you seen em all. The hot thing now is mobile/wireless computing and communication?

any opinions?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    The Home PC will be nothing but a hub in the future (for all the mobile and wireless devices). It is not dead, but its role will be transformed.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by yardie
    The Home PC will be nothing but a hub in the future (for all the mobile and wireless devices). It is not dead, but its role will be transformed.

I agree. But it seems to be happening at an astonishing rate. I am really surprised that Palm stock so low when they and other PDA manufacturers are on the cusp of the new wave of computing.
    -Mikedemo
    I'd really like to see some companies come out with small computers at really cheap prices that would be setup around the home to act as terminal. These type of computers do not need 3D graphics or lots of RAM so you'd think someone would do this by now. I'm tired of all the over priced Internet Appliances which require things like monthly charges. The iPaq (Computer) seems to be the closest yet, built in Ethernet with plenty of USB and CD-ROM/DVD not built-in. Still, its a bit too expensive at $500.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I feel the PC has slowly become just another home appliance, like a blender, washing machine or a TV set, perceptually speaking anyway. When my family bought its first computer in 1980 they were more of a luxury item, unlike today where something like 1 in 6 homes has one (guesstimate; didn't bother to hunt up the figure).

I recall reading about world's fairs in the 40's and 50's where the "home of the future" would be largely computer-controlled.
    And don't forget At&T's promise in the mid-90's to bring a wider scope of entertainment oiptions directly into your home by way of computer system connections.

I wouldn't say it's fizzled, but it's less of a novelty and has changed to be an everyday thing.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    The PC is a commodity now. Going to PC-only conferences is becoming like going with Crazy Uncle Fred to his annual sliced bread producers expo....
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    I feel the PC has slowly become just another home appliance, like a blender, washing machine or a TV set, perceptually speaking anyway. When my family bought its first computer in 1980 they were more of a luxury item, unlike today where something like 1 in 6 homes has one (guesstimate; didn't bother to hunt up the figure).

Ahhhhhh memories . I can remember (when I was a lad) my father bringing home a Xerox 820 with a monochrome monitor, two 8 inch disk drives in one housing, a huge daisy wheel printer, running CPM.

My how things have changed.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Xerox 820 with a monochrome monitor, two 8 inch disk drives in one housing, a huge daisy wheel printer, running CPM.
    ooo!
    we had a cassette tape drive. running a touch-typing tutor. (ick, on two levels. hey, I was ten.) and a TV adapter -- no monitors for us!
    it got much better when we learned my uncle had some pirated software.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  9.    #9  

ooo!
    we had a cassette tape drive. running a touch-typing tutor. (ick, on two levels. hey, I was ten.) and a TV adapter -- no monitors for us!
    it got much better when we learned my uncle had some pirated software.

OH my . . . . I remember tape drives. S-L-O-W!!!
    -Mikedemo
    What about paper tape readers? HP Basic on teletypes? Magnetic 9" reel tapes? 256K of RAM the size of a PIZZA BOX!?

You kids today! You think you had it tough! We had to work with nothin'! When we wanted water, we had to bang hydrogen and oxygen molecules together!

Why, why.... oh, look, Matlock's on...
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Why, why.... oh, look, Matlock's on...
    LOL!!

But the tape drives were the pits...1 hour to load Atari's States and Capitals into the Atari 400 (my mom wouldn't let Dad splurge on the 800, although we did add a "real" keyboard later)and it would hit a glitch and you had to do it all over again.

When we finally got an Apple IIc (with purty green letters), I thought the disk drive was the greatest!

But, I agree with the previous gist of thread--PC's are no longer for geeks, PDA's are!!
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    But, I agree with the previous gist of thread--PC's are no longer for geeks, PDA's are!!
    Who you callin' a geek Willis!!!
    (those who watched "Different Strokes" should get it )
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Who you callin' a geek Willis!!!
    (those who watched "Different Strokes" should get it )
    I pity the fool who calls Mr. T a geek!
    (The A Team, another 80's TV show for those of us around the same age.)
    I'm a-thinkin' this thread is developing some more of that great ol' ADHD.

howzabout 12" reel-to-reel tape on a Data General (it was still in use in 1994)?
    and a dot-matrix printer the size of a refrigerator. (that was fast, though)
    I'm a-thinkin' this thread is developing some more of that great ol' ADHD.
    Oops, sorry! But, hey, I did at least have ONE relevant comment...
    I am really surprised that Palm stock so low when they and other PDA manufacturers are on the cusp of the new wave of computing.
    Stock prices don't have to have anything to do with the product the company is selling.

I'd really like to see some companies come out with small computers at really cheap prices that would be setup around the home to act as terminal.
    They're called 486's running Linux. And they're cheap.

The PC is a commodity now. Going to PC-only conferences is becoming like going with Crazy Uncle Fred to his annual sliced bread producers expo...
    Very true. Actually, a better metaphor would be the kitchen appliance conference. A PC is simply an IT appliance.

What's happened with PCs and now PDAs, is that the market is saturated to the point where sales have hit a serious brick wall. Companies that ONLY sell computers are hurting. They have no real outlets to increase sales.

Companies like IBM, Sony, and let's hope apple ( ) are going to be the next wave, where the actual PC hardware is just a mere component in their overall service/product matrix.

We'll still need workhorse PCs for serious computing, but like everyone is saying, the PC will become more of an appliance. We'll have one in the basement running all of the terminals and all of the wireless devices we have. Every home will have its own email server and file server. Connected to their toaster, of course.

What we need is a huge boost in ease-of-use networking devices. People need to be able to set up a web server as easily as an answering machine. (Granted, a lot of answering machines are next to impossible to set up).
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    I pity the fool who calls Mr. T a geek!
    Now there's a branded "personality" (e.g., Michael Jordan) PDA I'd buy -- the Mr. T. Visor Gold (covered with shiny plated jewelry!)

"Kids! Mr. T says, Just Say No to Windows CE!"
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Presenting the Mr.T Edition Visor Deluxe!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Vincent
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by Vinny
    Presenting the Mr.T Edition Visor Deluxe!
    lol, where's the mohawk.
    -Mikedemo
    That's a separate dummy springboard replacement accessory.
    -Vincent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast