Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the introduction of the iPhone. Sure itís got that cool user interface. But, what really sells the iPhoneís is that large and crisp screen. Why arenít other device manufacturers stepping up to the plate? Itís really odd when you consider that in some cases simply retooling older hardware would create some serious iPhone competitors. Take HTCís PC/XV6600. Take that screen and keyboard orientation and add Wifi, Touch Flo, SDHC card slot, and Windows Mobile 6 and the device would be an iPhone killer without too many cosmetic modifications. Yet, the company has nothing in the pipeline that Iím aware of with a screen this size. And, it appears, the front facing keyboard is gone for good.

Then thereís Palm. They made the Lifedrive for years. With itís dwindling market share, you would think theyíd slap a phone in that thing and swap out the harddrive for an SDHC card slot and tell us to say hello to a new type of Palm smartphone. Treo, Centro, Lifedrive. Take your pick.

So, I ask you, whatís your take? Do you agree that screen size and quality are key selling points for the iPhone? Do you think screens on other devices will ever catch up in terms of quality AND size?
    Look at the Touch Diamond, 2.8" VGA screen that has higher res than the iPhone, albeit a smaller screen. I think we're headed that way. However, I prefer a full QWERTY keyboard (not just for text entry, but for convenience i.e. shortcuts, simple dialing from the homescreen, quicking finding contacts, quickly doing a Google Search, etc.).
  3.    #3  
    I like the keyboard as well. That's why I want a slider with a bigger screen VGA screen. Call me greedy, but I want it all. And, the thing is HTC makes a bunch of phones. So, why not one model with a bigger screen? The Big Daddy Touch Dual if you will.

Meanwhile, I'll be picking up a 6600 on ebay. My eyes just can't take it any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
    Sure itís got that cool user interface. But, what really sells the iPhoneís is that large and crisp screen. Why arenít other device manufacturers stepping up to the plate?
    Perhaps, because so many of their customers don't like walking around with a roof shingle in their hand just so they can be forced to use 2 hands to access the most basic phone features (like dialing). The iPhone is a slick device, but like any other feature phone, you give up a lot to get a lot. Besides, I find it amusing that those same big, clunky, iPhone users were, until recently, the same folks that used to make fun of other big clunky phone users (like your ppc-6600). I can't wait until Steve Jobs tells his loyal following their iPhone will receive at 3G speeds if the user merely sticks a finger up the left nostril - they'll all be doing it...and it'll be cool!
    We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the introduction of the iPhone. Sure it’s got that cool user interface. But, what really sells the iPhone’s is that large and crisp screen. Why aren’t other device manufacturers stepping up to the plate?
    Because overall screen quality is only 1 piece of the puzzle? I mean, seriously, if it were THAT simple I'd be using an Iphone, not a Treo 700p.

Don't get me wrong, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Treo 800w AND the Iphone Gen. 2-- I want to see which device performs the best in the span of a year...and the winner (in my eyes anyway) won't be decided by looks alone. I don't know which one I'm going to buy YET but trust me, there so many other more important factors (functionality, reliability, etc.) to worry about.

BTW, I still think most people prefer a QWERTY keyboard vs. pure touch screen (but that's just a hunch on my part)--I really wish the new Iphone would at least give people the option of using a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

Lord, I hope all the manufacturers don't start dumbing down their devices, thinking that the only thing anyone wants in a smart phone is a "big,'KEWL' touch screen!" What I want to see is other companies start innovating IN THEIR OWN WAYS in response to the Iphone not copy it...as others have said, the world doesn't need more "Iclones."

YMMV,
    Brent
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 05/13/2008 at 05:41 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Donít get me wrong. Keyboards are key! I just canít understand why devices with larger screens that also have keyboards are not among the many choices we already have in Windows form factors. Especially since larger screens have always been available on PDAs (IPAQ, Tungsten, et al). And, definitely as manufactures pull out all of the stops to compete with Apple on web-browsing and media. It just doesnít make any sense.
    Donít get me wrong. Keyboards are key! I just canít understand why devices with larger screens that also have keyboards are not among the many choices we already have in Windows form factors. It just doesnít make any sense.
    In the next several months, phones like the HTC Raphael, Diamond, Sony Ericsson Xperia, and the samsung Instinct are all due to hit the market. These all have the very features you seem to be unable to find.

8.    #8  
    Those are all the same size a current screens. So, I guess 2.8 inches is just how it's gonna be for Windows devices.

The XV6600 with it 3.5 inch screen with keyboard will never come again.
    It's not the screen, not the speeds and feeds, not the feature check-list, and certainly not the tic-tactile keyboard. It's the user experience, easy, integrated, and iconic.
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Still here Rene? I guess we know who the real troll is.

Surur
    @surur-

huh? This is still the forum linked to that other site. Though for some reason their posts/comments don't end up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    @surur-

huh? This is still the forum linked to that other site. Though for some reason their posts/comments don't end up here.
    Yep, I though the sites were separating happily ever after, but the announcement seemed to have been amended to remove the section saying the forums are no longer linked.

I cant say I have missed seeing the latest Smartphone Schadenfreude flamebait or iPhone Risk fluff-post though.

Surur
    Sure you do. Here, I'll start a new one.

iphone roolz. wm sucks. purple is the best color. Lab/aussie mixes are the best breed of dogs.
    It is the screen, combined with a little design equation: what can the OS do and what is the largest dimension edge-to-edge screen a user will pocket as a daily device. Apple's has the most versatile OS. If some company claims a better combo, use your best Jack Palance imitation ala Shane and say "Prove It."
    Quote Originally Posted by renn View Post
    It is the screen, combined with a little design equation: what can the OS do and what is the largest dimension edge-to-edge screen a user will pocket as a daily device. Apple's has the most versatile OS.
    When you are talking about versatility you are talking about functionality. the iPhone has crap functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by renn View Post
    :If some company claims a better combo, use your best Jack Palance imitation ala Shane and say "Prove It."
    The HTC Advantage can do much much more than the iPhone. Maybe you need to prove your statement.

Surur
    "The iphone has crap functionality."

Uh-huh. And android is closed and WM is open. Yep.
    @Surur:

http://forum.phonedifferent.com/ as cmaeir said, is still the official forum of the all new the iPhone Blog (http://www.theiphoneblog.com)

Drop by and please do leave comments. Agree or (more likely) disagree, you know your stuff and your conversations are interesting and informative, and personally I tend to enjoy communicating with people who have (sometimes very) different opinions. Mutual admiration (even of the iPhone!) is boring.

Stop by and kick my WinMob bashing **** as often as the mood and time allows. I know I'll be dropping by Crackberry and WMExperts

BTW - Feature check list != functionality. Having everything and being able to do almost nothing with it (or without HTC graft-on extraneous OS layers) is not functionality. While the iPhone is carefully adding features, sometimes piece by piece over time, they do so in an extremely functional manner, as is Apple's trademark.

Remember, for Apple, the design is functionality.
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    BTW - Feature check list != functionality. Having everything and being able to do almost nothing with it (or without HTC graft-on extraneous OS layers) is not functionality. While the iPhone is carefully adding features, sometimes piece by piece over time, they do so in an extremely functional manner, as is Apple's trademark.

Remember, for Apple, the design is functionality.
    As usual,I disagree. Features and functionality are synonymous. Ease of use is a seperate dimension.

A simple example -

Most phones feature video recording. One does not have to specify how easy or difficult this is to implement, its just there. The iPhone does not.

The iPhone's lack of functionality is also fractal. Even when you look at the things it does do, there are many gaps in the expected functionality of those features.

Example - it has bluetooth, but a very poor bluetooth stack. It has a camera, but the camera has no settings you can adjust.It has a nice browser, but you cant set a home page.

There are numerous examples of the gaps in functionality and features of the iPhone, that I wonder why my statement is under question at all. Its fair to say that the iPhone does what it does, mostly well. However a well specified WM phone can do a lot more.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 05/14/2008 at 08:59 AM.
    @surur,

The reason I hold you in such high esteem is that you have the courage of your convictions. I mean, even Paul Thurrott has jumped off the WM bandwagon (http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-numbers.aspx). I hope your recent pimping of WinCE isn't a sign of you backing down, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    @surur,

The reason I hold you in such high esteem is that you have the courage of your convictions. I mean, even Paul Thurrott has jumped off the WM bandwagon (http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-numbers.aspx). I hope your recent pimping of WinCE isn't a sign of you backing down, though.
    Pundits often feel they have to be critics to seem to be able to contribute. Thurrott has been a staple of iPhone Schadenfreude. I see no reason to hold his opinion in any higher esteem than I hold, for example, yours.

Surur
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast