Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    "far more equivalent" than the comparison ratio (commercial).

So, for example, if the commercial ratio is 98% win to 2% mac (i.e. 49:1), then if the worldwide consumer ratio is 90% win to 10% mac (9:1), I would say that's far more equivalent. Because 9 is far smaller than 49. Dig? People who have to use what they buy are 5x more likely to buy macs. (ain't statistics wonderful?)

I believe the numbers are something like: 70% of all sales are commercial. Mac consumer share in the U.S. is around 20% and worldwide is 10%. I think the worldwide commercial mac % is probably 2%'ish, but that's a rough guess.
    So by your estimates, if about 72 million computers were shipped in Q1 2008, 22 million were bought by consumers, Apple sold 2.2 million, of which a negligible amount were sold to businesses.

In short then, when given a choice, consumers chose windows over OSX in a 10:1 ratio.

Yep, pretty impressive. I can see how you think everyone love OSX.

Also, doesn't this imply more consumers chose Vista than OSX, probably also in a bigger than 10:1 ratio.

Surur
    By consumers I mean the product segment, so I stick by my 9:1 ratio. And, again, I only ever spoke about the ratio in a comparative sense. Note, too, that Mac marketshare in that segment is growing faster than any other manufacturer, and the ratio has been steadily decreasing.

As for consumers "choosing" vista, I'll add another wrinkle. Consumers choose "windows" or "mac," not "vista" or "leopard." When you buy a new pc, unless you jump through hoops, you get vista. Given the investment people have in old software, etc., it takes time for the percentages to move.

And I would bet a lot of money that the number of people moving from windows to mac is far higher, both in percentage and absolute terms, than the other way. My point being that those people who make a choice tend to choose xp or leopard. Personally, that's what i do. I still haven't upgraded my machines to vista.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    My point being that those people who make a choice tend to choose xp or leopard. Personally, that's what i do. I still haven't upgraded my machines to vista.
    Yes, it seems it would kill you to admit people may actually prefer a Vista PC to the latest Apple offering, just like you cant believe some people may prefer WM to the iPhone.

Surur
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456