Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 103
  1. #81  
    Interesting. Reminds me of an article I recently read about the differences between Apple and MS subpixel font rendering. Apple is optimized to preserve the characteristics of the font, while MS is optimized to preserve legibility. Mostly the difference is that apple keeps the font weight (essentially the thicknesses of the various strokes) "correct," while MS quantizes things.

    Looks to me like something like that is going on; small fonts seem to be substituted with a constant weight font or something.

    BTW, I just loaded the same page on my iphone. All of the text is legible in the middle column, but not the right column. Definitely the difference seems to be font-rendering and not the DPI of the screen.
  2. #82  
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Like the Linux-based TIVO?

    Surur
  4. #84  
    also not open. But I never said they were.

    Watch: ms will soon build into all their os's piracy filters. They'll name it Windows Television Advantage.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    also not open. But I never said they were.
    Thats the point though,isnt it. The OS being open source or not does not really tell you how open a device is. There are many linux phones floating around where you have no access at all to the OS,and can only install JAVA apps. Android is aiming to be one of them.

    The iPhone is based on BSD, yet Apple has and intends to lock it down tighter than Fort Knox.

    You think open means you can modify the kernel, but I am happy with an app than can change the whole user interface without being told my device is no longer warrantied.

    I believe Android phones will be as open or locked down as the OEM makes them. The fact however remains that the apps the user will have access to remain second class citizens, while the real power of the OS is kept in "expert hands". Thats not what I call open.

    Surur
  6. #86  
    I don't care if I can change my interface. I want to be able to do what I'd like with my own data (be it movies I've recorded or music I've ripped).

    From palladium onward, ms has embraced every technical restriction proposed by any constituency. They added WGA which does nothing but hassle legitimate users. They are going to build video filters in to look at watermarks. They have tried multiple bizarre DRM schemes with their various music initiatives. They are huge hdcp supporters. Vista builds in so much antipiracy garbage that it slows the whole video subsystem down.

    It is possible to do evil with any OS.

    No company builds more evil right into their OS than MS.

    But enjoy skinning your scrollbars.
  7. #87  
    That's another rant entirely. I would certainly be very upset if I can't use my media, and it would be motivation for me to change to another platform. It has not happened yet though, and due to the size of the windows user community, windows is still the most open platform to access and use media.

    Even when it comes to DRM, I much prefer the Windows version, which gives me device choice, over the Fairplay version, which does not. I can use protected WMA's on phones from Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony Erricson and Nokia, all because MS freely licenses their platform, while I can only use m4p's on Apple devices.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 05/19/2008 at 10:07 AM.
  8. #88  
    Ars technica on the openness issue: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...cast-flag.html
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Even when it comes to DRM, I much prefer the Windows version, which gives me device choice, over the Fairplay version, which does not. I can use protected WMA's on phones from Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony Erricson and Nokia, all because MS freely licenses their platform, while I can only use m4p's on Apple devices.

    Surur
    Until MS abandons yet another DRM scheme and turns off the license servers.

    I much prefer to buy my OS from a company that is actively campaigning to eliminate DRM rather than a company that is falling all over itself to make itself the RIAA's and MPAA's "copyright cop."

    And "I can use protected WMA's..." Really? You possess DRM-infected music? Oh, and one device those don't work on is ipods, which last time I checked made up a sizeable chunk of the market ;-)
    (which, by the way, in combination with sales figures for itunes vs. other music stores, tells me that maybe your preference for windows drm is not shared by a large percentage of folks ;-)

    Go Amazon!
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Until MS abandons yet another DRM scheme and turns off the license servers.

    I much prefer to buy my OS from a company that is actively campaigning to eliminate DRM rather than a company that is falling all over itself to make itself the RIAA's and MPAA's "copyright cop."
    Except for video, right? And how about the DRM Apple has added to their new docks, to prevent 3rd parties from making unauthorized accessories? And wasnt Apple a major advocate for blu-ray, which has more stringent DRM than HD-DVD?

    But even though Jobs has been pushing the music industry to drop DRM, he has different opinions about video.

    When asked during the EMI conference call about the potential of lifting DRM from video, Jobs said: "Video is pretty different from music right now because the video industry does not distribute 90 percent of their content DRM free. Never has. So I think they are in a pretty different situation, and I wouldn't hold it to a parallel at all."
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...ideodrm_1.html

    So while Apple fools the plebes with music, they are turning the DRM screws up on video when you were not even looking.

    And "I can use protected WMA's..." Really? You possess DRM-infected music? Oh, and one device those don't work on is ipods, which last time I checked made up a sizeable chunk of the market ;-)
    What? I'm supposed to get an iPod's because most people use them? Thats some fine logic there. I use protected DRM because I use Rhapsody, and having access to a huge library for a small fee works very well for me. Was I supposed to wait for Apple to get their subscription music act together? I think not.

    (which, by the way, in combination with sales figures for itunes vs. other music stores, tells me that maybe your preference for windows drm is not shared by a large percentage of folks ;-)

    Go Amazon!
    Yep. And tell Rene most people prefer Windows.

    Surur
  11. #91  
    "]Except for video, right? And how about the DRM Apple has added to their new docks, to prevent 3rd parties from making unauthorized accessories? And wasnt Apple a major advocate for blu-ray, which has more stringent DRM than HD-DVD?"

    I've heard the accessory thing, but I also recall some countervailing evidence. I don't know enough about it.

    As for video, again, I don't believe apple is actively pushing for drm. Unlike MS, they haven't championed hdcp, or re-architected their entire video subsystem to enforce it at the expense of performance.

    As for blu-ray, if apple is such a major advocate, how come there are no macs with blu-ray? (I agree they favored blu-ray over hd-dvd, but i doubt it was because they wanted DRM - it had a lot of advantages early on in terms of codec support and capacity. And apple is not exactly a friend of sony. the whole situation is perplexing.)


    "http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...ideodrm_1.html

    So while Apple fools the plebes with music, they are turning the DRM screws up on video when you were not even looking."

    When did the article's predictions come true? It's been a year, hasn't it? Is there any evidence of jobs crusading for video drm?



    "What? I'm supposed to get an iPod's because most people use them? Thats some fine logic there."

    Substitute "WM" for "iPod" and "manufacturer" for "people," and you have one of your oft-repeated arguments :-)

    "I use protected DRM because I use Rhapsody, and having access to a huge library for a small fee works very well for me. Was I supposed to wait for Apple to get their subscription music act together? I think not."

    Subscription? yuck.



    "Yep. And tell Rene most people prefer Windows."

    Nope. Most people USE windows. Most IT directors prefer it :-) Difference between PC's and music players is that with pc's, the person making the buying decision is not the person who has to live with the decision :-) At retail, the numbers are far more equivalent, and getting closer all the time.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    As for video, again, I don't believe apple is actively pushing for drm. Unlike MS, they haven't championed hdcp, or re-architected their entire video subsystem to enforce it at the expense of performance.
    I did not see Jobs campaigning against it either.

    As for blu-ray, if apple is such a major advocate, how come there are no macs with blu-ray? (I agree they favored blu-ray over hd-dvd, but i doubt it was because they wanted DRM - it had a lot of advantages early on in terms of codec support and capacity. And apple is not exactly a friend of sony. the whole situation is perplexing.)
    Apple is a member of the blu-ray consortium since 2005. As to why they have not done a blu-ray drive yet, maybe they are just waiting to go "BOOM" onstage like some dog and pony show. In the mean time Jobs is getting Disney to include a fairplay-tied copy of the movie on the blu-ray disc. DRM sure works for him.

    Subscription? yuck.
    Dont use cable, do you? Buy all your shows a la carte from iTunes? Bit expensive, isn't it?

    "Yep. And tell Rene most people prefer Windows."

    Nope. Most people USE windows. Most IT directors prefer it :-) Difference between PC's and music players is that with pc's, the person making the buying decision is not the person who has to live with the decision :-) At retail, the numbers are far more equivalent, and getting closer all the time.
    Yes, those 90% of PC's on the internet are all business computers. Right...

    Surur
  13. #93  
    "I did not see Jobs campaigning against it either."

    So if you don't campaign against it that's the same as actively campaigning for it?



    "Apple is a member of the blu-ray consortium since 2005. As to why they have not done a blu-ray drive yet, maybe they are just waiting to go "BOOM" onstage like some dog and pony show. In the mean time Jobs is getting Disney to include a fairplay-tied copy of the movie on the blu-ray disc. DRM sure works for him."

    Disney and Pixar are not Apple.



    "Dont use cable, do you? Buy all your shows a la carte from iTunes? Bit expensive, isn't it?"

    I use satellite, actually, and when I record a show it doesn't go "poof" if I stop paying my satellite bill.


    "Yes, those 90% of PC's on the internet are all business computers."

    Strawman. Didn't say they were. But when I worked at AMD, we targeted corporate sales because that is where volume is. And that's still the case. And in the consumer market, Apple does remarkably well.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    "I did not see Jobs campaigning against it either."

    So if you don't campaign against it that's the same as actively campaigning for it?
    You saw the quote. He does not think its a problem at all.

    Disney and Pixar are not Apple.
    Did I say they are? There is only one Jobs however.

    "Dont use cable, do you? Buy all your shows a la carte from iTunes? Bit expensive, isn't it?"

    I use satellite, actually, and when I record a show it doesn't go "poof" if I stop paying my satellite bill.
    I use the DVR which came with my satellite system. My recorded movies goes poof 24 hours after I watch them. I believe Apple's movie rental system will work similarly. Will you be protesting at 1 Infinity Loop then too?

    "Yes, those 90% of PC's on the internet are all business computers."

    Strawman. Didn't say they were. But when I worked at AMD, we targeted corporate sales because that is where volume is. And that's still the case. And in the consumer market, Apple does remarkably well.
    In US. US<>world, last I checked.

    Surur
  15. #95  
    I won't be protesting - I don't buy drm-laden movies, either. Nor pay-per-view off of satellite.

    And we targeted corporate sales worldwide, not just in the U.S.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    I won't be protesting - I don't buy drm-laden movies, either. Nor pay-per-view off of satellite.
    But you pay to view movies in the cinema? And you wont buy blu-ray? And you've never heard of DeCCS

    And we targeted corporate sales worldwide, not just in the U.S.
    And Mac's have a big market share amongst consumers in the rest of the world, does it?

    Surur
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    But you pay to view movies in the cinema? And you wont buy blu-ray? And you've never heard of DeCCS



    And Mac's have a big market share amongst consumers in the rest of the world, does it?

    Surur
    You love strawmen. I only said that the ratio of windows-to-mac is closer in the consumer space than in the commercial space.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    But you pay to view movies in the cinema? And you wont buy blu-ray? And you've never heard of DeCCS



    And Mac's have a big market share amongst consumers in the rest of the world, does it?

    Surur
    I pay to view movies in the cinema.

    I buy css'd movies and bd+'d movies and aacs movies. Because if I want to I can easily make backup copies of any of these.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post

    You love strawmen. I only said that the ratio of windows-to-mac is closer in the consumer space than in the commercial space.
    I believe you said its "far more equivalent". That implies pretty near equal to me. What is it - 40% and 60%? or is it more like 10% and 90%? Enquiring minds want to know what "far more equivalent" means to you.

    I pay to view movies in the cinema.

    I buy css'd movies and bd+'d movies and aacs movies. Because if I want to I can easily make backup copies of any of these.
    So your only problem is DRM that works? You should love playsforsure then.

    Surur
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I believe you said its "far more equivalent". That implies pretty near equal to me. What is it - 40% and 60%? or is it more like 10% and 90%? Enquiring minds want to know what "far more equivalent" means to you.



    So your only problem is DRM that works? You should love playsforsure then.

    Surur
    "far more equivalent" than the comparison ratio (commercial).

    So, for example, if the commercial ratio is 98% win to 2% mac (i.e. 49:1), then if the worldwide consumer ratio is 90% win to 10% mac (9:1), I would say that's far more equivalent. Because 9 is far smaller than 49. Dig? People who have to use what they buy are 5x more likely to buy macs. (ain't statistics wonderful?)

    I believe the numbers are something like: 70% of all sales are commercial. Mac consumer share in the U.S. is around 20% and worldwide is 10%. I think the worldwide commercial mac % is probably 2%'ish, but that's a rough guess.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions