Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    but you can add apps to it!

Besides jivetalk IM program, none if them are any good.
    Well, that's your opinion, which is fair enough. Still, on palm, for example, even when palm did squat with upgrades year after year I was able to add streaming tv via slingplayer, awesome email via chatter, improved find via findhack, etc. This made the fact that palm refused to fix anything at least somewhat tolerable (especially since I could add an sd card and carry as many programs as I wanted, and completely ignore the stuff in the rom).
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Besides jivetalk IM program, none if them are any good.
    You mean like Google Maps Mobile? Oh wait - THAT'S a good program because it's also on the iPhone.

A commercial-grade eBook reader would be nice - like the BB has.

Or a navigation program using GPS - like the Blackberry has.

Is jivetalk really the only BB software you deemed "any good?" Interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You mean like Google Maps Mobile? Oh wait - THAT'S a good program because it's also on the iPhone.

A commercial-grade eBook reader would be nice - like the BB has.

Or a navigation program using GPS - like the Blackberry has.

Is jivetalk really the only BB software you deemed "any good?" Interesting...

Who in their right my would read an ebook on the tiny blackberry screen.
    Yes, Google maps is good (it is far better on the iphone), but Google also has access to Blackberry APIs that I think most other developers are not.

I should have said most software isnt any good. I dont blame the developers, I blame RIM. By the way, I love my Blackberry curve. Its by far the best mobile email device out there by far. For mobile web, sms, and music, I much prefer the iphone.
    Well, that's your opinion, which is fair enough. Still, on palm, for example, even when palm did squat with upgrades year after year I was able to add streaming tv via slingplayer, awesome email via chatter, improved find via findhack, etc. This made the fact that palm refused to fix anything at least somewhat tolerable (especially since I could add an sd card and carry as many programs as I wanted, and completely ignore the stuff in the rom).
    And this was a good thing? Waiting years for palm to fix every tiny issue and they didnt even offer a timeframe. I dont care how good Sling is, its not worth it.
    And this was a good thing? Waiting years for palm to fix every tiny issue and they didnt even offer a timeframe. I dont care how good Sling is, its not worth it.
    You are missing my point.

My point was that the number, and importance, of updates to iphone has been piddling, particularly because such updates are the ONLY method of improving the iphone (up until now).

And an update provided by third party software is just as good as an update provided by the phone vendor, all else being equal. If apple had started out with third party apps available, their inability to ship mms, a video recorder, an IM program, a decent calculator, push email, a powerpoint viewer, etc. in their first year (instead giving us locate-me, the ability to buy stuff from them over wi-fi, and web-only bookmarks on the home screen) wouldn't have seemed so pathetic.

For the first couple of years I owned my treo, i got an official palm update once a year or so, but lots of third party app updates.

With iphone i got 4 mostly meaningless firmware updates, and nothing else.
    You are missing my point.

My point was that the number, and importance, of updates to iphone has been piddling, particularly because such updates are the ONLY method of improving the iphone (up until now).

And an update provided by third party software is just as good as an update provided by the phone vendor, all else being equal. If apple had started out with third party apps available, their inability to ship mms, a video recorder, an IM program, a decent calculator, push email, a powerpoint viewer, etc. in their first year (instead giving us locate-me, the ability to buy stuff from them over wi-fi, and web-only bookmarks on the home screen) wouldn't have seemed so pathetic.

For the first couple of years I owned my treo, i got an official palm update once a year or so, but lots of third party app updates.

With iphone i got 4 mostly meaningless firmware updates, and nothing else.

In an enterprise environment, it is impossible to rely on third party apps to fix issues consistently on every device in the organization. I'm not really sure, but I would bet 90% or more of the blackberrys used at my company have no 3rd party apps installed.
    We're off on a tangent (and, frankly, how many iphones are "enterprise," and how may enterprises will let people update their firmware willy-nilly?)

You think there have been frequent and significant firmware updates to iphone. I think not. I'm curious what the consensus is, but I don't see any point in arguing about it since we agree on all the underlying facts and data.
    We're off on a tangent (and, frankly, how many iphones are "enterprise," and how may enterprises will let people update their firmware willy-nilly?)

You think there have been frequent and significant firmware updates to iphone. I think not. I'm curious what the consensus is, but I don't see any point in arguing about it since we agree on all the underlying facts and data.
    Good point. My company is participating in the Enterprise beta, so thats where my mindset is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
    We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the introduction of the iPhone. Sure itís got that cool user interface. But, what really sells the iPhoneís is that large and crisp screen. Why arenít other device manufacturers stepping up to the plate? Itís really odd when you consider that in some cases simply retooling older hardware would create some serious iPhone competitors. Take HTCís PC/XV6600. Take that screen and keyboard orientation and add Wifi, Touch Flo, SDHC card slot, and Windows Mobile 6 and the device would be an iPhone killer without too many cosmetic modifications. Yet, the company has nothing in the pipeline that Iím aware of with a screen this size. And, it appears, the front facing keyboard is gone for good.

Then thereís Palm. They made the Lifedrive for years. With itís dwindling market share, you would think theyíd slap a phone in that thing and swap out the harddrive for an SDHC card slot and tell us to say hello to a new type of Palm smartphone. Treo, Centro, Lifedrive. Take your pick.

So, I ask you, whatís your take? Do you agree that screen size and quality are key selling points for the iPhone? Do you think screens on other devices will ever catch up in terms of quality AND size?

Here you go:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/16/s...laden-stunner/

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    400X200 and WM...........no thanks.
    400X200 and WM...........no thanks.
    Thats 400 x 240, but yes, thats the only let down.

At least with WM you will be able to do a 100 things the Phone cant do. (For brevity I shall refrain from wasting my time listing them all)

Surur
    Out of curiosity, are the people that bash and refuse to use WM the same people that refuse to use windows, and install Unix of some variety on all their boxes?

I'm not trying to pick fights, I'm generally curious as to how many of the people who hate WM are also not fans of windows in general.

I know that personally I insist on WM. If I'm going to have this phone that is a mini computer, I expect it to act like one. I want the most available third party software, I want full integration with my home PC, and I want something that is familiar.

Ironically, I'm not saying I'm especially happy with the WM 5.0 I currently am running. It's not necessarily that I consider it the BEST thing out there, I simply consider it the ONLY thing out there that fulfills my needs.
    I use two xp laptops, use xp at work, have two xp servers at home, 2 linux servers at home, and use a mac laptop.

And I don't like WM.
    Who in their right my would read an ebook on the tiny blackberry screen.
    I do, but perhaps I'm not in my right mind. If it's good enough for my 50-100 emails per day, it's plenty good for reading a novel.
    Yes, Google maps is good (it is far better on the iphone),...
    Yes, and it is far worse on WM Standard phones. In any case this program alone shows your sweeping generality as the silly statement it was.
    I dont blame the developers, I blame RIM.
    I wonder why you would blame RIM for the "none if [sic] them are any good" software created by other developers? Does RIM stifle creativity? After all, Yahoo was able to make the Blackberry version of their Yahoo Mobile suite software as bloated and kludgey as they did on WM and Nokia phones!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I do, but perhaps I'm not in my right mind. If it's good enough for my 50-100 emails per day, it's plenty good for reading a novel.
    Yes, and it is far worse on WM Standard phones. In any case this program alone shows your sweeping generality as the silly statement it was.
    I wonder why you would blame RIM for the "none if [sic] them are any good" software created by other developers? Does RIM stifle creativity? After all, Yahoo was able to make the Blackberry version of their Yahoo Mobile suite software as bloated and kludgey as they did on WM and Nokia phones!
    ok, i will play along. RIM support to developers is weak at best, and the availabe blackberry APIs are weak. This has long been a source of great frustration to blackberry developers. Try comparing development tools, documentation, and resources of both WM and the iPhone to RIM and you will see its no comparison.
    ok, i will play along. RIM support to developers is weak at best, and the availabe blackberry APIs are weak. This has long been a source of great frustration to blackberry developers. Try comparing development tools, documentation, and resources of both WM and the iPhone to RIM and you will see its no comparison.
    Yet still, some good programs make it out in the wild. I guess RIM's weak support to developers helps separate the men from the boys.

Docs-to-Go included in the next OS release. It's getting better all the time.
    Here's a screenshot of the HTC Touch Diamond's screen viewing google news.

Its striking that the text is readable right down to the smallest font. On the iPhone that would all have been blurred and unreadable.

Of course, also striking, is that some of the words seem to be about the size of the lines in his fingerprint

Surur
    Fonts look wrong: does it substitute in its own fonts or something?
    Fonts look wrong: does it substitute in its own fonts or something?
    The do look a bit blocky, almost as if its using an optimised font, but the zoomed in version looks normal.;

Surur
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast