Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Screen means a lot to me. Of course other features matter, but the screen is about all that keeps me on my TX rather than a treo 755p. The second ding is wifi, but I think I have to think differently and get used to the idea of just going online anywhere - I suppose once mentally adjusted it's much better to have a cellular link than wifi since it can be used almost anywhere. One of these days I have to just take a treo for a spin. I'll probably move from Sprint to ATT since the rest of my family uses them. Tick-tock...
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Good, that's got that sorted then . So this is my plan for how Microsoft do it. Seems to me one of the best liked Microsoft products is the Xbox, a product in which they do the hardware and the OS. How to achieve the same vertical integration and not kill the existing WM market? Simple - buy HTC.
    Didn't seem to work for zune.

Also, they don't need to buy HTC. They can contract out a design, just as I assume they do for xbox.
    With the Xbox hardware problems I am not sure thats the best example.

Further I prefer an open platfrom with deversity of OEMs. You realize WM seems to be the default smartphone OS for a company entering the market (see Phillip's latest device as an example.)

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Didn't seem to work for zune.

Also, they don't need to buy HTC. They can contract out a design, just as I assume they do for xbox.
    I was only semi-serious of course. Point is to get the OS (especially the UI) and the hardware better integrated. If that means less diversity (yes or no to menu buttons, smaller range of screen sizes, yes or no to he stylus, higher minimum hardware specs, etc, etc) then that's the price you pay. I've never even seen a Zune let alone used one - I guess the fact it hasn't made it to the UK yet does say something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You realize WM seems to be the default smartphone OS for a company entering the market (see Phillip's latest device as an example.)
    Yeah, but HTC are (or at least were, last time you told me) 80%?

It's not surprising really that WM is the 'default smartphone OS' for the new guys. Apple and RIM aren't sharing, Symbian is in Nokia's back pocket (and isn't really a whole OS anyway). Android might change things of course.
    Yeah, but HTC are (or at least were, last time you told me) 80%?

It's not surprising really that WM is the 'default smartphone OS' for the new guys. Apple and RIM aren't sharing, Symbian is in Nokia's back pocket (and isn't really a whole OS anyway). Android might change things of course.
    Apparently, last I heard, HTC's share of the WM market is shrinking. In fact, you commented in that thread.

With 50 independent OEM's thats not surprising.

Android did not sway Asus, and WM still offers the easiest, cheapest startup pathway.

Surur
  7.    #47  
    Good, that's got that sorted then . So this is my plan for how Microsoft do it. Seems to me one of the best liked Microsoft products is the Xbox, a product in which they do the hardware and the OS. How to achieve the same vertical integration and not kill the existing WM market? Simple - buy HTC.

I totally agree! Microsoft needs to make the device and the hardware. HTC is a natural choice. We'll see what the do with Danger (makers of the sidekick). Maybe they will start churning out devices through that acquisition.

The market share of the device maker is not relevent. Windows just needs the infrastructure to control the process from start to finish. HTC is also a good choice because they have improved Windows the interface with the whole Touch Flo thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Apparently, last I heard, HTC's share of the WM market is shrinking. In fact, you commented in that thread.
    So I did!

Android did not sway Asus, and WM still offers the easiest, cheapest startup pathway.
    Fair to say Android will probably be more attractive in 12 months than it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
    I totally agree! Microsoft needs to make the device and the hardware. HTC is a natural choice. We'll see what the do with Danger (makers of the sidekick). Maybe they will start churning out devices through that acquisition.
    There's a video somewhere of someone from Microsoft saying the Danger acquisition was all about backend server stuff, but who knows.
    It really seems at times that MS is completely disinterested in Windows Mobile. I give HTC and Palm alot of credit for heavily customizing the OS to make it usable. One of the best things about the iPhone is the frequent updates that not only include bug fixes, but major enhancements. Both MS and RIM can take a lesson from this.
    iphone updates haven't been all that frequent :-(
    iphone updates haven't been all that frequent :-(
    I beg to differ. Compare iPhone updates to Rim and WM over the same period.
    still, it's been 3 updates in a year, and only to fix bugs and add a couple minor features. Other than locateme in maps, there haven't been any new features that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Even my bluray player has had more updates with more features added in the same time.
    A big difference is that Apple does both software and hardware and has a system designed to deliver updates to everyone with an iPhone (of course if you deliberately step outside of that system and jailbreak your device it's a rather different matter). Microsoft relies on its customers (the hardware manufacturers) to deliver updates and that does seem to be a bit of a lottery.
    still, it's been 3 updates in a year, and only to fix bugs and add a couple minor features. Other than locateme in maps, there haven't been any new features that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Even my bluray player has had more updates with more features added in the same time.
    when the 2.0 firmware gets released, it will be the fifth update in a year. A few have been nothing but bug fixes, but its nice that the company shows a sign of life at all. Often for ms and rim, you can go about a year without hearing anything.

2 of my favorite upgrades......
    1. iTunes wifi downoads
    2. Web apps on homescreen
    web apps on homescreen is nice (but is still incomplete - why can't i store contacts, for example, as images that i can click on and dial?), but itunes wifi does nothing but make apple more money any time you use it; think about what they COULD have given us in a year - push email for something other than yahoo, video recording, a calculator that isn't worthless, etc.

Anyway, i love my iphone(s), but given the awesome update infrastructure I expected a lot more (or at least a lot higher quality) updates by now. Just compare what you can do with a jailbroken phone to what you can do with apple's updates...

The next update will obviously be the biggest, but it's taken a year, and once apple announced it they essentially stopped releasing interim updates.
    I love the iPhone wifi store. Even when I don't purchase songs I get to listen to the first 15 seconds of a song for free to try it out. Ofcourse apple could have added more. Its still far better than the almost zero upgrades you get with other phone vendors.
    A big difference is that Apple does both software and hardware and has a system designed to deliver updates to everyone with an iPhone (of course if you deliberately step outside of that system and jailbreak your device it's a rather different matter). Microsoft relies on its customers (the hardware manufacturers) to deliver updates and that does seem to be a bit of a lottery.
    RIM controls both. I could be wrong but I don't think I have ever seen an upgrade for my BB curve.
    yes, it's better than zero.

but apple promised us a lot more; there were the comments about how updates would be continuously "delightful," and it was hyped as containing os x, for easy upgrades, etc.

You also have to remember that unlike "other phone vendors," the ONLY source of updated functionality for the first year of iphone is from apple.

With palm, or WM, even though the OS vendor doesn't provide frequent updates, I can massively change and upgrade my functionality by adding third party applications.

When apple failed to allow third party apps for the first year of the iphone's life, they took responsibility to provide all the updates for the phone, and, frankly, they've provided almost nothing so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    RIM controls both. I could be wrong but I don't think I have ever seen an upgrade for my BB curve.
    but you can add apps to it!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast