1.    #1  
    Ok guys. Here are some shots of PC Expo I took today with my digital camera.

Sony Booth

You can see that they are pushing the Clie big time, though the people running it didn't seem to know too much about the device outside of what was on the printed brochures.

Clie 610c in the flesh

I walked up to the Sony rep and flashed him my 710c and asked if I could beam McColors onto the 610c. He said why not. After I beamed it over I check the info on the device and then ran McColors. Which answered two of my biggest questions. The 610 does have Palm OS 4.0 and it can display 16bit color. Wonderfully I might add. I want that OS 4 update for my 710 now

The Clie 320

No hi-res and no color. But they already have the wireless modem for it. I think they're using the Go America service.

Handsprings booth

I must say that Handspring had a pretty good booth and drew a lot of people to its demonstrations. I got to see the Visor Phone attached to a Visor Platnium in action which amazes me everytime and its so small. Greatjob Handspring. I also watched a demo of the wireless lan transciver Springboard module in a Visor Prism. During that demo they ran Blazer. A wonderful web browser which Handspring owns. Its pretty good. But I was suprised to see that they had MSN wirless as a partner, the logo shows up all the time on the blazer homepage. Do I smell PPC device in the future from Handspring?

I didn't take any shots of Palms booth. Why, because it basically was the same as last years.

IMHO Handspring had the best Palm Platform booth. They had the right balance of flash and knowledgeable reps. Good Job Handspring.

Anyway enjoy the photos
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/28/2001 at 06:37 AM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Thanks for the info, very nice. However, the images aren't working for me. If I'm not alone, could you please post them as attachments?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Thunderbird291
    Thanks for the info, very nice. However, the images aren't working for me. If I'm not alone, could you please post them as attachments?
    I tried adding a "?" to the link. hopefully all can see it or atleast click and view them.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

I tried adding a "?" to the link. hopefully all can see it or atleast click and view them.
    Worked for me after I took out the "?".

Thanks for the photos!
    The funniest thing I saw at the expo, were two
    palm employees(they had palm logo on the shirts)
    hogging the 610 in the Sony Booth. They were
    amazed by the resolution and jog dial.
  6.    #6  
    Heres a version with the links to the same photos just in case you cannot see them in my first post.

Originally posted by mikedemo

Sony Booth

You can see that they are pushing the Clie big time, though the people running it didn't seem to know too much about the device outside of what was on the printed brochures.

Clie 610c in the flesh

I walked up to the Sony rep and flashed him my 710c and asked if I could beam McColors onto the 610c. He said why not. After I beamed it over I check the info on the device and then ran McColors. Which answered two of my biggest questions. The 610 does have Palm OS 4.0 and it can display 16bit color. Wonderfully I might add. I want that OS 4 update for my 710 now

The Clie 320

No hi-res and no color. But they already have the wireless modem for it. I think they're using the Go America service.

Handsprings booth

I must say that Handspring had a pretty good booth and drew a lot of people to its demonstrations. I got to see the Visor Phone attached to a Visor Platnium in action which amazes me everytime and its so small. Greatjob Handspring. I also watched a demo of the wireless lan transciver Springboard module in a Visor Prism. During that demo they ran Blazer. A wonderful web browser which Handspring owns. Its pretty good. But I was suprised to see that they had MSN wirless as a partner, the logo shows up all the time on the blazer homepage. Do I smell PPC device in the future from Handspring?

I didn't take any shots of Palms booth. Why, because it basically was the same as last years.

IMHO Handspring had the best Palm Platform booth. They had the right balance of flash and knowledgeable reps. Good Job Handspring.

Anyway enjoy the photos
    -Mikedemo
    Mikedemo, your geocities links comeback as not available.

FYI
    <><
    PC Expo was a BIG Yawner!! I am very disappointed! As far as I care it meant nothing for the Palm Platform.
    Originally posted by yardie
    PC Expo was a BIG Yawner!! I am very disappointed! As far as I care it meant nothing for the Palm Platform.
    I agree. Where was all the devices that are suppose to plug
    into Palm's SD/MMC slot, or Sony's MS slot? Everything was
    a sled that connects to the USB/serial port.
    Originally posted by LanMan
    Mikedemo, your geocities links comeback as not available.

FYI
    As I learned the other day, GeoCities do not allow external links. Copy the URL into the location line instead.

In case anyone is wondering how they are able to do this, the answer is simple. Anytime you click on a link, the server you are linking to receives the URL of the page that linked to the page you are going to as part of a block of info that's sent.

So they just filter all links that don't originate from geocities.com or yahoo.com.
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    wforde wrote:
    Where was all the devices that are suppose to plug into Palm's SD/MMC slot, or Sony's MS slot? Everything was a sled that connects to the USB/serial port.

As I expected. Too much miniaturization, too much R&D, too much cost passed on to the end user. The m50x and the Clié a great devices but their small expansion slots are not conducive to building robust I/O modules. Expect most "modules" to connect via UC and serial ports.
    Ah, thank you, the links worked. Great pictures!
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    wforde wrote:
    Where was all the devices that are suppose to plug into Palm's SD/MMC slot, or Sony's MS slot? Everything was a sled that connects to the USB/serial port.

As I expected. Too much miniaturization, too much R&D, too much cost passed on to the end user. The m50x and the Clié a great devices but their small expansion slots are not conducive to building robust I/O modules. Expect most "modules" to connect via UC and serial ports.
    This would make the Sony/M500 expansion slot a backup solution as oppose to an expansion solution like the Visor series. Some of the expansion options I have seen for these devices are actually bigger than the devices themselves! No wonder Handspring see no need to rush out a new unit.
  14.    #14  
    PC expo was so-so. It could have been better.
    -Mikedemo