Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    They could start with linux. They've already put a lot of effort into the UI elements, which is where most of the work would be anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    They could start with linux. They've already put a lot of effort into the UI elements, which is where most of the work would be anyway.
    Android? The people who think Android is going to be as functional as WM when it comes out are pretty delusional.

I think its pretty hilarious, considering HTC's growth, that you dont think there is advantages to using WM. If WM was as bad as you believe, HTC would have shut up shop by now, instead of achieving this:

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 05/08/2008 at 01:18 PM.
    WM is serviceable for what it is. My comment on linux is based on the observation that many of the complaints regarding diamond have more to do with the random intrusion of WM gui elements and behaviors into what otherwise seems to be a somewhat promising UI paradigm.

Taking their UI concepts, and building a self-consistent design on top of a core like linux might be pretty compelling. The advantages for them of linux over WM are twofold: WM costs them $$, whereas linux is free, and linux has certain technical advantages when it comes to bolting a UI onto it. On the other hand, WM does have certain sdk's that they would have to build from scratch or acquire.

As for your specious argument, WM is as bad as I believe, but since the alternatives also suck, WM has done well. If Palm hadn't taken its ball and gone home a few years ago, it might be a different story. My point regarding the coming demise of WM has always been that it finally has competition, and that MS has shown absolutely no capacity to deal with competition in the last 5 years or so, and instead has coasted on the intertia of its own market share and technical lock-ins.
    I see you edited your post. Care to add a google stock graph for comparison? ;-)

Nor did I say anything about android being "as functional" as WM. (BTW, I still reject your entire limited view of what contributes to "functionality" and what does not). I was merely speaking about a nice engine on which to build a nice gui.

ps: i didn't even mention "android," did I? Android is not the only mobile/cellphone OS that is based on linux.
    WM is serviceable for what it is. My comment on linux is based on the observation that many of the complaints regarding diamond have more to do with the random intrusion of WM gui elements and behaviors into what otherwise seems to be a somewhat promising UI paradigm.

If they wanted to build from scratch they could always use Win CE. My point is that the so called "random intrusion of WM gui" adds value - a Linux device would just be another Samsung Glyde for example - an isolated island with no ecosystem.

As for your specious argument, WM is as bad as I believe, but since the alternatives also suck, WM has done well. If Palm hadn't taken its ball and gone home a few years ago, it might be a different story. My point regarding the coming demise of WM has always been that it finally has competition, and that MS has shown absolutely no capacity to deal with competition in the last 5 years or so, and instead has coasted on the intertia of its own market share and technical lock-ins.
    That would make some sense if MS had any most of lock in the market, but seeing how they only have a small percentage market share, heavy competition from giants like Nokia, and have freely licensed the "technical lock-ins" like Exchange Activesync and Playsforsure, you would have to admit that WM has held its own on its own merits. MS has done precious little to push the OS for example.

Surur
    I see you edited your post. Care to add a google stock graph for comparison? ;-)

Nor did I say anything about android being "as functional" as WM. (BTW, I still reject your entire limited view of what contributes to "functionality" and what does not). I was merely speaking about a nice engine on which to build a nice gui.

ps: i didn't even mention "android," did I? Android is not the only mobile/cellphone OS that is based on linux.
    HTC has said many times they feel better with a strong partner, like MS or Google. As I said, building an a proprietary platform with lead to Palming.

Surur
    What was/is the Danger/Sidekick OS built on?
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie

The blue line is Google.

I'm sure HTC would be very flattered to be compared to Google, but actually their stock graph isn't too dissimilar, and in fact HTC seems to have grown faster. Of course one is in Taiwanese dollars and the other in US dollars, but since its relative growth we are talking about that does not really matter.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Maybe it would cost them a lot to replicate the functionality of a mature OS, and would lose half the market that made them a $15.7 billion company?

Surur
    Or maybe their new OS would be so good that it would attract people that will never again use a Windows Mobile device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    What was/is the Danger/Sidekick OS built on?
    Like blackberry, Hiptop OS seems to be largely Java.

Surur
    My point regarding the coming demise of WM has always been that it finally has competition, and that MS has shown absolutely no capacity to deal with competition in the last 5 years or so, and instead has coasted on the intertia of its own market share and technical lock-ins.
    WM hasn't really coasted anywhere good in terms of market share in the past few years:

Symbian: Q1 2004 41%
    Microsoft: Q1 2004 23%
    PalmSource: Q1 2004 22%
    RIM: Q1 2004 6%

Symbian: Q4 2007 65%
    Microsoft: Q4 2007 12%
    RIM: Q4 2007 11%
    Apple: Q4 2007 7%
    Linux: Q4 2007 5%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2008/r2008021.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I must say, if I look at the weather report on my phone and see a wiper blade, I might smile, even if its going to rain.
    Wiper blade was my favourite bit of the demo! Living in England though the attraction might wear a bit thin rather quickly.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So really where / when do you guys post wait-a-thon winners its been like 2 months now since you guys started doing this and I've only seen two winners. Just saying maybe you should have the past weeks winner in the wait a thon box on the homepage.
    Yowzas! Yeah, the clones have got nothing on the iPhone
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567