Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My favorite thing about WM6 is the homescreens.
    Don't look now, but HTC has practically killed the Today screen that you are raving about. There's nowhere to put your Google search bar unless you disable the HTC Today app which is kind of defeating the purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    There's nowhere to put your Google search bar unless you disable the HTC Today app which is kind of defeating the purpose.
    Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but didn't like to say because I wasn't too sure from the video I watched. Add in the absence of a keyboard and this is about as un-Treo-like as you can get. Given that it's also very limited as a multimedia device, that doesn't leave much at which it actually excels (web browsing perhaps, although the screen is isn't the biggest). Jack of all trades I guess.
    There is still a today screen, because there is still a today item on the start menu. HTC ensured the preeminence of their interface by using a Home button, which would take you to their TouchFlo interface.

WM is all about flexibility - the first WM devices did not have keyboards, just like Palm PDA's did not have keyboards. Things have evolved since them, but saying WM is only useful when tied to a keyboard does it a disservice.

The reason all these companies make WM devices (and they are not all iPhone clones - about every form factor under the sun exists in WM) is that its a mature OS with good hardware support, with many built-in features, its cheaper than developing their own OS, is already supported by the carriers and it sells well.

The world is not black and white people, and not everyone wants an iPhone.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    There is still a today screen, because there is still a today item on the start menu. HTC ensured the preeminence of their interface by using a Home button, which would take you to their TouchFlo interface.
    That may be true. However, the "convenience" as mentioned by gadgetluva is no longer a plus since now you need to "go to" the today screen as an extra step, just like you need to launch a browser on the iPhone which brings you the ability to Google search.

The world is not black and white people, and not everyone wants an iPhone.
    And the same can be said for WM devices. Correct?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Don't look now, but HTC has practically killed the Today screen that you are raving about. There's nowhere to put your Google search bar unless you disable the HTC Today app which is kind of defeating the purpose.
    I'm not talking about the Diamond right now, I'm talking about the standard WM6 OS. I should have been more clear.

I hope that not every manufacturer decides to make devices that mimic the iPhone...like I said, the iPhone is the master of flashy, easy to use, multimedia orientated smartphones, but not one at all for productivity. As I've stated many times before, I'll get an iPhone once it gets 3G and GPS and native tasks (I can do without native tasks as long as a company like DeveloperOne comes out with something I can have a To Do list). Everyone praises the iPhone for what it has, but not enough is said about what it lacks.
    Last edited by gadgetluva; 05/08/2008 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Perhaps, but which devices? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have compared the iPhone with a Treo/Blackjack type device. I've only watched one video once of the HTC Diamond, but a lot of what you like - simple dialling or Google search from the home screen etc - seems to be absent, not least because there's no permanently exposed keyboard (no physical keyboard at all). I'd be tempted to say this is HTC's play for the iPhone, multimedia space, but it seems crippled as a multimedia device by low storage capacity and a very small battery.
    Sorry, I was referring to general WM6 devices. I did mention "blackjack" at one time in my post but didn't really focus on it. The Diamond is, as Rene puts it, an iClone. Nice to play with and look at, but when it comes down to it, not as useable as a Blackjack or Treo.
    And the same can be said for WM devices. Correct?
    Of course. If you look at the numbers, rather than the media coverage, everyone wants a Nokia.

Surur
    He still did not seem to like it very much. Touchflo is neat, but it really is just Windows Mobile with a new coat of paint.

Here is another not so great hands on.......
    http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2008/05/07...atally-flawed/
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    He still did not seem to like it very much. Touchflo is neat, but it really is just Windows Mobile with a new coat of paint.

Here is another not so great hands on.......
    http://www.jeffkirvin.net/2008/05/07...atally-flawed/
    BG was just disappointed because he expected more devices, not just the one.

Secondly,Kirvin did not actually have his hands on the device of course, or even see it himself. However there is no denying the device has it flaws, but you are not actually implying your god iPhone is perfect, are you?

Surur
    BTW, do people realize the UI of the phone is consistent with MS's plans for WM 7, ie the so-called Twist UI, where you navigate side to side and up and down? Its a further advancement on the UI of the T-Mobile Shadow and the WM 6.1 standard UI.

Its designed for greater discoverability of features, which is rather nice.

Surur
    BG was just disappointed because he expected more devices, not just the one.

Secondly,Kirvin did not actually have his hands on the device of course, or even see it himself. However there is no denying the device has it flaws, but you are not actually implying your god iPhone is perfect, are you?

Surur

Actually, BGR said he was uimpressed by the diamond.

No, I dont think the iPhone is perfect.
    BTW, do people realize the UI of the phone is consistent with MS's plans for WM 7, ie the so-called Twist UI, where you navigate side to side and up and down? Its a further advancement on the UI of the T-Mobile Shadow and the WM 6.1 standard UI.

Its designed for greater discoverability of features, which is rather nice.

Surur
    I watched the video of the WM7 interface. It sucks. As usual, MS likes to make the thing complicated.
    Actually, BGR said he was uimpressed by the diamond.
    It’s been quite a day here in London with HTC rolling out the red carpet treatment in recognition of the launch of their new Touch Diamond handset. We’ll certainly be the first to admit that we were a bit underwhelmed by the Touch Diamond announcement when it first hit. The phone has been circulating the web for a week or two now, and we were really hoping that the company would announce a full line of handsets, including the rumored Raphael with a full QWERTY keyboard. While we would still like to have seen a bit more from the Taiwanese company today, upon reflection, we think that the launch is certainly deserving of merit and accolade.
    Again, we would have loved to see more new stuff today — Android, Raphael, etc, but we’re confident that HTC is making some pretty good moves and laying a solid foundation for their future product lines. Was the event today worthy of the hype? Maybe not, but it’s by no means the misstep we initially thought it to be.
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...event-wrap-up/

Do all iPhoneys have reading comprehension problems?

Surur
    Where does Danger now fit into Windows Mobile's development?
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Where does Danger now fit into Windows Mobile's development?
    A consumer version of WM?

Redmond, Wash — April 15, 2008 — Microsoft Corp. has completed its acquisition of Danger, Inc., the company announced today. Danger's expertise in building great, intuitive client software for mobile handsets connected to powerful hosted back-end services fosters rich consumer experiences in communication, media sharing, entertainment and personalization. The combined force of Danger and Microsoft strengthens the company's ability to provide innovative mobile experiences to more consumers.

Danger will become a part of the new Premium Mobile Experiences (PMX) team, a group within the Mobile Communications Business (MCB) of the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. The PMX team focuses on consumer-facing mobile projects and is led by Roz Ho, corporate vice president of Premium Mobile Experiences, reporting to Andy Lees, senior vice president of the MCB. Danger co-founders Matt Hershenson and Joe Britt will join the new organization, reporting directly to Ho.

"We imagine a mobile experience that embraces sharing and celebrating relationships and personal moments," Ho said. "Combining Danger and Microsoft talents together in the Premium Mobile Experiences team is how we're going to deliver cool, new, fun mobile experiences to consumers. We want people to smile every time they look at their phone."

The Danger mobile Internet platform, which connects people to their social circles and other rich content, is an integrated end-to-end solution that enables people to interact with their friends, social communities and content through the Internet and Internet services.

"At Danger, we created a fun and easy-to-use mobile experience for today's Internet-savvy consumer," Britt said.

Hershenson added, "As we combine our team and technologies with Microsoft, we see a clear path to evolving that experience and delivering it to an even broader group of consumers."
    http://www.danger.com/press/pr.php?cat=2008&id=20080415

I must say, if I look at the weather report on my phone and see a wiper blade, I might smile, even if its going to rain.

Surur
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...event-wrap-up/

Do all iPhoneys have reading comprehension problems?

Surur
    Ofcourse the link you posted, is not the one I originally did. My link was this
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...mond-hands-on/

Again, for the second time, he said this in the above link............

"After today’s press event we got a chance to spend a bit of quality time with HTC’s new Touch Diamond. While we were admittedly playing with a pre-production unit, we came away slightly…unimpressed."
    Ofcourse the link you posted, is not the one I originally did. My link was this
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...mond-hands-on/

Again, for the second time, he said this in the above link............

"After today’s press event we got a chance to spend a bit of quality time with HTC’s new Touch Diamond. While we were admittedly playing with a pre-production unit, we came away slightly…unimpressed."
    And he followed up, on review, with a more considered opinion. Also he does not understand the gesture system.

Surur
    And he followed up, on review, with a more considered opinion. Also he does not understand the gesture system.

Surur
    I love this quote from his report........

"This is, without a doubt, the most un-Windows Mobile-like Windows Mobile interface we’ve ever seen, and that’s a good thing. "

Again, why put fancy window dressing on a bad OS. HTC should just create their own.
    I love this quote from his report........

"This is, without a doubt, the most un-Windows Mobile-like Windows Mobile interface we’ve ever seen, and that’s a good thing. "

Again, why put fancy window dressing on a bad OS. HTC should just create their own.
    Maybe it would cost them a lot to replicate the functionality of a mature OS, and would lose half the market that made them a $15.7 billion company?

Surur
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast