Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I got my wife a Blackberry and she likes it a lot. I figured she would because of the simplicity and e-mail functionality. I, however, am a loyal Palm Treo user since the 600, but am intrigued by some blackberry features. Below are some things I use my Treo for. Can someone tell me if the Blackberry has equal functionality:
    1. Watch videos (mpeg and divx via TCMP)
    2. Listen to AAC music
    3. Tom Tom navigation
    4. e-mail and wireless calendar via the Seven Client (Xpressmail PE) from an Exchange server. The blackberry desktop redirector seems crippled as it does not seem to support attachments or calendar.
    5. Use a Bluetooth headset to listen to music.
    6. Listen to audio shoutcast streams via Pocket Tunes.
    7. Watch you tube videos via Kinoma.
    8. Edit and send attachments from the handheld.

Thanks for any insights in advance
    welcome aboard! i'm sure you can find a lot of your answers by using the search function above.

best success!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I don't have a Blackberry (yet), but from what I gather, it can do most, if not all, the things you're looking for.

The only difference I see is that you don't have to purchase anything extra, or download anything, to make it work. I'll go down your list and do my best (since I'm sure there's not much to search for about Blackberries in a Treo forum)...

1. It supports MPEG 4, H.263, and WMV. Honestly, it's been hit and miss with me and TCPMP. I had some videos that worked, made new ones, and they didn't work, but I don't remember what format I used to encode them with.

2. It natively supports AAC/AAC+. With all the POS Treos, except the Centro, you have to upgrade to pTunes Deluxe to get this functionality. I'm not sure about WM Treos though.

3. Built in GPS, so no need to purchase anything extra. This is based on cell towers, I've never used it, but I've heard it gets the job done.

4. Sorry bud, can't help you there. I don't use my smartphones with work, so I don't know how they connect and what not.

5. The Curve (which is the one I'm comparing all this to, but I think the Pearl has the same features) has stereo bluetooth, and you won't need to purchase anything like SAG to make it work.

6. Not sure about this.

7. Not sure about this either.

8. I'm not sure. My dad's Nextel Blackberry lets him view documents. I think there are plans for Data-Viz to bring to market a Documents to Go for Blackberry.

I hope that helps. I'm thinking of going Blackberry, but I do love the ease of use of Palm OS. I do want something new though, and have an itch to get a new device. I'd go with the new Palm, but that's not supposed to launch until next year I believe.
    I have one.. My 8830.. Just works
  5.    #5  
    I would agree with the "just works" comment for my old Treo 650, however, my 680 is rock-solid stable and even does some decent multi-tasking. My frustration is with the slow death of Palm OS and developers abandoning the platform. Blackberry seems like a good alternative; however, I have not yet determined whether it does everything I need/want.
    What is it that you're concerned about? I have never been a blackberry user, but I am interested, and I'd be willing to do the research (if it takes just a few min) to make sure it lives up to your expectations. From what I gather, it'll meet all my needs, but what's stopping me is paying the $30/month for the Blackberry service from Sprint. From what I'm paying now, that'll be an extra $10/month. I know it's not all that much of a difference, but I am trying to cut back on my expenses.
  7.    #7  
    Really when it comes down to it, the one thing which I think I am giving up by going from the Treo to the Blackberry is the thing the Blackberry is supposed to do the best: e-mail.

I am using Seven's e-mail client on my Treo 680 (Xpressmail) with an Exchange server through the desktop redirector. I do not have access to a Blackberry Enterprise Server and my Exchange server is behind a firewall.

Xpressmail has amazing capability (send attachment stored on the Treo and my computer, look up contacts, view files on my computer, send meeting invitations, accept meeting invitations, remote calendar sync, etc). From my research the Blackberry through the desktop redirector has no capability but routing e-mail back and forth with no attachment support. I also noticed that its not a very robust solution. The calendar sync has to be done locally. It seems like a huge step backwards. I think even with a Blackberry Enterprise Server, Xpressmail still has more capability.

Is there a third party solution out there that fixes this major shortcoming?
    dont you have to pay an extra $35 or so per month for BB email service?
  9.    #9  
    Nope... I can get unlimited data (Blackberry or otherwise) for the same price.
  10. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treouser6663 View Post
    Nope... I can get unlimited data (Blackberry or otherwise) for the same price.
    You must have some sort of deal because to add BIS to my Sprint BB Curve is $30 & Im on the SERO plan.
    The Blackberry plan includes some stuff most people might already have on their account, such as unlimited text and vision.

For instance, unlimited texts are $10/month. Spring Navigation is $10/month. The cheapest Vision pack is $15/month. Right there, that's $35. The Sprint Power Vision BlackBerry Pack, for $30/month, includes all that, plus Sprint TV and the 10 email accounts (not sure if that's free with other phones, or if it's even available).

For me, I'm going to pay $10 extra a month for a Curve, for the GPS, but I use GoogleMaps almost daily, and having the phone actually know where I am will help me so much more.

As for being on SERO, you're already getting a great deal! I have heard that if you talk to Account Services, they can help you out with your problem. You may end up having to pay a bit more, but not the full $30.
  12.    #12  
    so, I take it no one knows of a no good e-mail solution for the Blackberry that compared to Seven's e-mail capabilities. I think my best choice for an upgrade is Windows Mobile. Perhaps the soon to be releases Palm WinMob device is my best bet versus a move to the Blackberry.
    I would say that based upon your requirements in your first post, a move to a Windows Mobile based devices makes more sense than a Blackberry. That said, I am not a huge fan of Windows Mobile. I think it's a bloated POS next to the POS But I agree with you, the developer community has largely walked away from the Palm OS and for good reason. It's unlikely that there will be any more devices with the "old" Palm OS on them being released. My guess is that there won't be a "new" Palm OS until next year when we see (hopefully) their new Linux based offering.

As a business user though, I can tell you that I have worked with a large number of Blackberries as well as several Windows Mobile devices and the Blackberry wins, hands down. But of course this requires a BES. Not a small economical feat when you're doing it yourself. In that case, it's simply not worth it. But from a corporate perspective, where someone else is paying for the BES, the equation obviously changes.

So again, for you and the situation you present, a WM device would be best. It will do every single thing that you mention and it will do it well. Just make sure to get a device that has a good amount of RAM. I used the XV6800 and was not impressed with the amount of RAM available on the device. It was very sluggish. But I've also used the Tilt and that device had plenty of memory. As for Palm WM handhelds, they're still very good. The 700WX is long in the tooth for sure, but the 750 is still very good. The other option is, as you stated, to wait and see for Palm's next device. That's probably the best option.
    Everyone is right with the "it just works" statement. You can tinker with it but it is not necessary. Everything works out of the box.

4. e-mail and wireless calendar via the Seven Client (Xpressmail PE) from an Exchange server. The blackberry desktop redirector seems crippled as it does not seem to support attachments or calendar.
    Mail is what a BB does better than anything. You shouldn't need to use a redirector. Just use BIS or BES and get personal and corporate mail consistently.

5. Use a Bluetooth headset to listen to music.
    Yes

6. Listen to audio shoutcast streams via Pocket Tunes.
    Yes via one of the 3rd party apps. I like BerryTunes.

7. Watch you tube videos via Kinoma.
    There is a youtube site for BB users.

8. Edit and send attachments from the handheld.
    You can view and forward almost any attachment but you'll need a 3rd party app to edit. I like GridMagic (free or fee)
    I've been a loyal Treo user for years (see sig), but have now completely transitioned to BB and am loving it. Thought I'd go through touchscreen withdrawal but the BB UI is well designed, so the transition was easy. I'd still prefer a touchscreen because it improves the UI by putting the most common commands directly on the screen, but that's a minor point for me now.

Like everyone else has said, BB's are rock solid. I enjoyed experimenting with the POS 3rd party apps, but grew tired of the underlying POS stability issues (minimal multitasking, the horrendous dbCache memory manager, app locking, etc). Not to mention the thickness and weight of the 700 series.

I hated to see it, but Palm squandered their smartphone lead and let RIM and others pass them up. I'd like to see them innovate again, so I'm kinda glad the Centro has been a hit. Perhaps that will tide them over until they can come out with something innovative again.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    its a phone and it does the same thing any other smartphone does except it doesn't have as many 3rd party software and it has a2dp and a 2mp camera with flash and thats all.No sms threaded, and the browser sucks to me, and i could go on and on.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    and don't forget that it doesn't reset itself or require an occasional soft-reset like the Treos do.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    and don't forget that it doesn't reset itself or require an occasional soft-reset like the Treos do.
    Haha, have you never been to a Blackberry forum? They recommend doing a battery pull at least once a week, for optimum performance. I do one every now and then, I guess out of habit, and partly when I'm really messing around on it and it seems to hang. I should see how long I can go without doing one.
    why? do you do one out of habit? are you a past Treo owner?

i personally don't "mess around" on mine so perhaps that's why i don't have to.

mine just works, and has done so for years now, that's what it's designed to do.

still very difficult for those non-owners to believe.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/18/2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Yeah, I used a Treo for a couple of years. I forget when it freezes, but rarely.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast