Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    [Ed: We're bringing back the Wait-a-Thon and making it regular again.
    Sorry we dropped it off there for awhile, folks. With all those 3G
    and iPhone 2.0 rumors flying about these past couple of weeks, it
    almost felt like the release was already *here*. In the meantime,
    comment on any post tagged "Wait-a-Thon" for your chance to win a $100
    iTunes Gift Card!]

This is not a response to Crackberry.com's excellent article, Top 10 Reasons Why the iPhone Is NO BlackBerry. Quite frankly, the iPhone doesn't need a response; it's the rest of industry that's so desperately trying to find one to the iPhone.

I don't know about you, but it's getting more than a little tiring hearing everyone compare themselves to -- and constantly try to rip-off -- the iPhone. I can't surf a website or cruise the main without some claw-handed Crackberry addict, neck-bearded Palm artifact, or frazzle-haired WinMob frustrati glaring and frothing with barely-contained envy at the perfectly balanced, seamlessly integrated, lustfully convergent iPhone held ever-so casually in my grip.

They know the iPhone is beyond cool. Sure, they cling to their once innovative, formerly revolutionary (at least in the case of Palm and RIM) devices, the ones overwhelming nostalgia or massive business infrastructure investment won't let them slam to the ground and stomp into the call-dropping, web-mangling, constantly crashing oblivion they so richly deserve.

So the comparisons to the iPhone just won't stop, despite the fact that the iPhone is pretty much incomparable. Don't believe me? I've got ten reasons to back me up. And these aren't minor feature gripes or personal peccadilloes. In proper Apple fashion, these are just 10 simple little words...

Read more at http://www.phonedifferent.com/2008/0...hone_is_i.html
    That leaves Apple, alone atop innovation mountain. And luckily, thatís just where one Steven P. Jobs likes to meditate.
    LOLLERSKATES!
    also:

http://digg.com/apple/Top_10_Reasons_the_iPhone_is_Incomparable
    Wait-a-thon is back!!!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    A combination of #s 10,6, and 3 are why I switched from Windows Mobile. As a hobbyist I really enjoyed Windows Mobile stand-alone PDAs circa 2003-4, but I've never found a converged WM device I could live with on a day-to-day basis as my phone and daily driver. I also feel like hardware on WM PDAs haven't improved since 2003-4 (same CPU speed, same amount of RAM, same screen sizes and resolution) and in many cases have gotten worse (2.8" screens, 64 MB RAM, 200 and 400 MHz processors, etc, etc). iPhone has its share of quirks, to be sure, but I've had little problem making it my phone and daily driver ... and I'm finally in love with my handheld again. (As a geek, I like to have a device that's good enough to love. For me the iPhone fits the bill at present.) My wife loves her and she would never touch a WM device (although she has a Blackberry for work). And our toddler son loves looking at photos and videos of himself (not to mention playing music) and can sort of operate our iPhones himself. No way that would happen with a WM device.

6 months in and finger swiping through photos still hasn't gotten old. Trying to view photos on my WM devices (2 of which actually have better 640x480 screens) and browse through them is what seems old. And 480x320 H.264 videos at 1.5Mbps look phenomenally better than 640x480 DivX or H.264 video on WM (which can maybe handle 900 kbps except on my HTC (dis)Advantage which can't even handle 500 kbps video without faltering).
    eeeegaddzz... for it not being a response to the Top 10 Reasons the iPhone is NO BlackBerry, I'd say it's a pretty well-written/thought out response. Nice Work.

Just since your title includes the word "Incomparable" I'll toss in some comparisons into the comments. People love comparisons. :-)

I think when it comes to the comparison of the Addicts to the Artsies (for lack of a better term - but seems fitting as Apple would choose looks over function), I guess it's like comparing Apples to Berries. They're just different.

Apple approach is Consumers will use what we tell them to use. And we build good stuff for the most part so people will mainly like it or even love it. But it is a gadget dictatorship.

RIM approach is to give users lots of form factor options - as not one style of device will suit everybody. But RIM figured out a few years ago the secret formula to turn a smartphone into an addiction: a) a prominent notification light b) one-handed ease of use c) long battery life (which hopefully won't be sacrificed with newer models) d) instant communication (push email, BlackBerry Messenger). RIM also goes with the notion of course that a physical keyboard is better, but I won't go there.

With RIM now developing a touchscreen phone, it shows yet again that RIM has it's customer's wants in mind. Gadget Democracy. I don't think RIM "wants" to build a touchscreen phone, as it immediately sacrifices on the "addictive" factors listed above, but they're going to do it anyways as Apple has sold a lot of people on sexiness and RIM is keen enough to give the people what they "Think" they want (as told by the dictators).

I don't think there is an easy winner here. Jump into the CrackBerry forums and you'll find a ton of people who we're BlackBerry users, jumped onto the iPhone bandwagon and jumped off after a week. There are also some BlackBerry users who have switched to the iPhone and love it. And what you're also finding is a lot of smartphone uses who now sport a BlackBerry AND an iPhone - which shows they are Berries and Apples. Even if iPhone goes 2.0 or 3.0 or 10.0, it's still going to lack that BlackBerry factor that millions have come to love. It also shows RIM they have some work to do - on sexiness, on web browsing, on media capabilities. I like to think that there is a Perfect Device out there, but I think that might be a pipe dream... there's always a trade off somewhere.

Gotta jet... my Red light is blinking. I've developed CrackBerry A.D.D. and I now have a 3.5 minute attention span max :-)
    Oh yeah... #10.

If the killer smartphone app is voice, why would Jobs not make an additional button on the iPhone that immediately took you into the phone app. Why do you have to click to the home screen, then enter it from there?! It's not an iPhone. It's an iGadget.

They should change that up on the next iPhone, but then Jobs would have to admit they made a mistake on the first one! :-)
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    It looks like the iPhone in the picture must be the left handed model as the volume buttons are on the right side. glad to see the wait-a-thon back.
    I guess with traffic ratings dropping, it was time for another flamebait article, wasn't it.

BTW, Phonedifferent did not chart at all on that second traffic rankings graph. With a traffic ranking of 260 000 its no surprise.

Surur
    Hey Kevin,

Not to stray from the sensational, but we're incredibly blessed to live in a time and place where we can enjoy so many options, and get as close as possible to something that suits each and every one of our individual requirements and tastes.

I could never really use the hard keyboard on small devices, and used to carry a smartphone and an iPod, which was the only option I used to have. Apple's now given me an alternative that better fits what I want to do, and made a keyboard I happen to find far more usable.

We're all winning, and getting to poke a little at each other on the internet (likely from our devices of choice!) is just cake.

Thanks much for the comment!
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    LOL@Surur,

Any Microsoft Forum that provides support for Microsoft's dodgy, crash-prone, nigh unusable technology will always be far more frequently trafficked than Apple related sites for products that "just work".

People with iPhones are busy using them. People with WinVIstaMob are howling their frustrations out on forums. Huge surprise.

Next thing you'll be quoting Microsoft Knowledge base hits vs. Apple...
    Editor-in-chief, iMore

@Burnsaa,

That configuration is necessary for the iTerminator to allow smooth, and cool-looking, iShotgun action. Nothing says d'oh more than spinning to load the next round and accidentally hitting your vibrate switch...
    Editor-in-chief, iMore

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    LOL@Surur,

Any Microsoft Forum that provides support for Microsoft's dodgy, crash-prone, nigh unusable technology will always be far more frequently trafficked than Apple related sites for products that "just work".

People with iPhones are busy using them. People with WinVIstaMob are howling their frustrations out on forums. Huge surprise.

Next thing you'll be quoting Microsoft Knowledge base hits vs. Apple...
    http://www.macfixit.com/

Surur
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    It comes down to 2 words: IT'S FUN.

I will finally make the jump from WinMob to iPhone when the 2nd gen device comes out and software 2.0 with Exchange ActiveSync is available. I currently have the 1st generation Samsung Blackjack and it is completely awesome. There's no real reason for me to make the jump beyond those 2 simple words: IT'S FUN.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    . . . I like to think that there is a Perfect Device out there, but I think that might be a pipe dream... there's always a trade off somewhere. . .
    Well there is a perfect device: It's the Nokia N95 8gb, or maybe it's successor, the N96 (16gb).

However, thats not why I wanted to post a comment. Let me just start by saying I am a Mac user. Always have been always will. But the iPhone is the biggest flop ever. Apple could have made it so much more. Who makes a big deal about an OS update that allows you to send texts to multiple people. All those free crapy samsungs, that everyones network has, have been able to do that since their inception in the dark ages. Apple deprives it's users of basic must have features, and then tells them you should get excited that we have now added it. Think of it as cars. All other car companies sell you cars with wheels. Apple car company doesn't. And because it's a Mac, there are no tires available for it. Because Apple locked 'em. Also though, because its a hot sleek looking mac, for some reason you tolerate this. So when Apple announces we will now be including tires, they announce it as a revolutionary device. Yet again. Everyone else already gets tires. Another thing this article did for me was to remind me why all my pc friends hate me. You would almost think the article was written by some sort of Mac politician. It's so one sided. And all it can do is say what's amazing about the iPhone and bad about all the rest of the devices. It's so cult like, so insanely lop sided it makes me want to stop using my MacBook and get a Dell. Because only apple users walk around with such big heads.
    I sure hope none of these people bashing Apple and the iPhone win the Wait-A-thon... that would be sad.
    This thread = dumb
    Amen to that Rene - this kind of discussion just brings me back to the Round Robin we held back in November...every device had strong points and things going for it (well..maybe not the Treo 650..haha j/k), and it all comes down to how you'll actually fit the device into your lifestyle.

But you're right..it's all good..so many choices and the devices just keep getting better. I can't wait till my phones a laptop. It can just project screen on a wall and infrared keyboard onto the desk and you can have full power in the palm of your hand. we just need nuclear batteries (back to the sensational!) :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I guess with traffic ratings dropping, it was time for another flamebait article, wasn't it.
    I might suggest that talking trash about traffic numbers might itself qualify as "flamebait," but I'll just say that Phone different is not as old as WME and faces a slightly more competitive blogosphere.

Fret not, we plan on making PD's traffic numbers as good as WME's.

back on topic:

The key thing for me is that the iPhone is going to be where it's at, development-wise, for the foreseeable future. I fully expect the number and quality of iPhone apps to be just incredible. More to the point -- I expect these apps to be relatively higher-profile than your average app for basically any other platform. The App Store too.. mmm. Best way to deliver apps ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    The key thing for me is that the iPhone is going to be where it's at, development-wise, for the foreseeable future. I fully expect the number and quality of iPhone apps to be just incredible. More to the point -- I expect these apps to be relatively higher-profile than your average app for basically any other platform. The App Store too.. mmm. Best way to deliver apps ever.
    Thats because every app which the other platforms had for ages would be met with wonderment and fanfare on the iPhone platform.

When a GPS app comes along, it would be like people could find themselves for the first time (just like people thought google maps was amazing when it was already present on the other platforms).

When they finally get VOIP, the blogs and analysts will announce the end of the telcom business model.

Everything old is new again. Its rather pathetic.

And re traffic ranking - maybe posting about VGA screens is more interesting to readers that the colour of the back of new iPhone.

Surur
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast