1.    #1  
    I am ALWAYS looking at the greener grass on the other side. I have my trusty 755p but I have tested the 750, the Moto Q9, and the Mogul but I keep coming back to my 755. Rumors circulate of a new 800w and Sprint blackberry curve. My mouth continues to salivate and I waste tons of time online looking at all of my options. So for me (and maybe for those that have the same problem) and just in the interest of starting a discussion, here is a list of the features that would make up my ideal phone:

Keyboard on front (for full one-handed operation) no slider
    EVDO or equivilent
    GPS
    Wi-Fi
    SIM Card for international travel
    No NOC required (aka no Blackberries - either WM or POS)
    Decent Camera
    Good Battery Life
    Bluetooth
    Cheap data plans (aka Sprint)

I haven't found one phone that matches all of these criteria though several phones have some. Even if I were to drop some of my requirements, I would have to settle. For example, with 3G, wifi is really not necessary. Also, is a NOC really THAT bad? Do I travel that I REALLY need a sim card. Can I learn to live without a keyboard in front if I can get everything else?

Mogul: No keyboard in front, no Sim Card
    Ace: no GPS no wifi
    Q9: No Sim Card, no wifi
    Tilt: No keyboard in front.
    750: No GPS, no wifi
    AT&T Curve: No 3G, and either no wifi or no GPS and requires NOC
    Sprint Curve: TBDTBDTBD $if$ $it$ $has$ $GPS$ $or$ $wifi$ $and$ $a$ $SIM$ $Card$ ($but$ $requires$ $NOC$)
    800w: TBDTBDTBD $if$ $it$ $has$ $a$ $SIM$ $Card$
    755p: No GPS, no wifi

Well, once again, more time wasted thinking about this. Maybe someone wants to chime in on any phones that I missed or why a feature REALLY is not that important. Discuss!
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I've stayed with my trusty, reliable, live-saving 700p since 2006, but like you, I'm always looking to upgrade -- *if* the right conditions are met. Having said that, I don't ever see myself using a Blackberry...too boring and dull a device and besides, I need a touchscreen for my PDAs.

So I've narrowed my choices down to either the 800w or the next generation Iphone. Many times I have felt the temptation to defect to Apple/Iphone...but I just can't do it. Not yet anyway. I come REAL CLOSE to switching...and then all of a sudden, I learn something about the Iphone that I don't like. Still too many problems (ie: AT&T's turtle-speed Edge network -- slow a** browsing time if you're not near any hotspots [this actually happens to my buddy quite often], no back buttons, no copy & paste, questionable PIM FUNCTIONS, battery replacement issues, etc.).

In its present form, the Iphone is just a kid's toy to me. I need something a little more along the lines of a true PDA/smartphone. So whether that's going to be Iphone 2.0 or Treo 800w remains to be seen. Should be exciting to watch...

Regarding the ideal features in a phone that you mentioned, I would love to have FLASH for my camera. Also, turn by turn GPS. And quality PIM features on par with a Palm device (people forget the primary reason people use PDAs). WIFI is a luxury, not a necessity and quite frankly, a little overrated. Still, it WOULD be nice to have WIFI as an "extra feature." Otherwise, EVDO is a better choice.

So it's a tough choice for me between the Treo 800w and Iphone 2.0.

Decisions, decisions, decisions,
    Brent
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 04/25/2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Like both of you I had no desire to use a blackberry. I have been and still am a hugh fan of the palm platform. I have owned every Treo version. Last year I was forced to use a blackberry for work. I fought this at first. Tried to use the blackberry connect on a 680. Could not get it to work. I gave in and got a curve. I wasn't giving up my palm so when the centro came out I got it because if I was going to carry two phones I wanted one to be small.

The curve has turned out to be a great phone and I mean phone not smartphone. Sure it does some things a smartphone does but can't compare to my Centro. I do really like how the curve performs as a phone. The sound quality is great. The keyboard is very good. The speakerphone is great. I like the trackball. Of course the email is very good and it just always works. I like the size with the bigger screen and how thin and lite it is. The stero bluetooth works good and the battery life is great.

If the curve could run all my palm software and I could get EVDO (for slingplayer). I think I would have my perfect phone. Yea they say there are plenty of software for blackberry, but not the well thought out and designed software like is available for palm. The price of the software for blackberry is also way too high.
    Last edited by Powerpack; 04/26/2008 at 07:50 AM.
    I think the "perfect" device is possible, given that all the technologies are sufficiently mature (3G, WiFi, GPS, BT, OS, software), but on a device slightly larger then the 650. But this is all a game by manufacturers. They delibrately combine and/ or leave out features in a manner that keeps customers on their toes. Never mind the other problem -3G -> 3.5G -> 4G, or WiFi -> WiMax.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I think the "perfect" device is possible, given that all the technologies are sufficiently mature (3G, WiFi, GPS, BT, OS, software), but on a device slightly larger then the 650. But this is all a game by manufacturers. They delibrately combine and/ or leave out features in a manner that keeps customers on their toes. Never mind the other problem -3G -> 3.5G -> 4G, or WiFi -> WiMax.
    If that's true (that companies are holding back and not delivering us the ultimate "James Bond" type of phone), not only does it suck, it's kind of infuriating. But is the technology really to the point where they could put all of these features into one device without sacrificing any one area? I'm not sure.

BTW, I want to clarify again, the kind of GPS that I want. As I said earlier, I want a fully-featured turn-by-turn type of GPS system (ala "Garmin" or "Tom-Tom") on a phone; I don't just want Google Maps on it. If this works, check out this youtube link of the Motorola M930NAV GSM's GPS system:

I get down on my hands and knees and get ready to crawl into the rabbit hole...but then all of a sudden, I see all the rabbit droppings scattered on the ground and I go running back to my 700p.

This is an exciting time to be a smartphone geek,
    Brent
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 04/27/2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Apple dropped a bomb, RIM is working hard to respond, MS and Palm have gone back to the drawing boards, and Nokia is steaming straight ahead. If we can get some more, though different revolutionary devices on the market, we all benefit. If all we get are iPhone iClones, we'll be in for another long, hard winter...
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
    If that's true (that companies are holding back and not delivering us the ultimate "James Bond" type of phone), not only does it suck, it's kind of infuriating. But is the technology really to the point where they could put all of these features into one device without sacrificing any one area? I'm not sure.
    Why not? there are many phones that come close, technology-wise, to having everything - actually, there are only four technologies - BT, 3G or greater, WiFi, GPS - we can leave out stuff like camera, stereo speakers, built-in 1 million lumen projector. Any other hardware is merely space-limited (SD card, USB port...).
    Game over!
    Nokia's are closest, but they have an inexplicable aversion to decent keyboards and compact sizes, and they cost a fortune. Although I would pay a premium for something as capable from Palm.

On my Centro, I only need a 3MP camera with flash and auto-focus, and GPS. That's all Palm has to put into it, they can leave POS as is I have no problem with it.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700