1.    #1  
    As a GSM/UMTS user, a major new competitor has entered the field. I've been using Treo's since the 600 in 2003. I love 'em, and only briefly strayed to the TyTN for a few months before returning to the Treo 750.

When I think about the Velocity Mobile 111 versus the 850 (or whatever the GSM version of the 800w will be), its definately gonna give Palm a run for the money.

screen - 800w will likely be 320 x 320 versus 111's 240 x 320, though the VM 111 is a flush screen which is a very nice touch (pun intended)

GPS - both will hopefully have it

WiFi - again hopefully both

Bluetooth - VM is 2.1, I imagine that Palm will be 2.0

Qwerty bar - both

camera - probably a wash with both being 2 mpx fixed focus (wish either of them pulled a SE Xperia with the 3Mpx auto focus)

Processor - dunno yet for either

RAM - 128 for the VM 111, let's see what Palm does

ROM - 256 for the VM 111, let's see what Palm does

Expansion - VM 111 is MicroSD, I imagine Palm will do the same though they might use MiniSD for another generation

USB connector - VM 111 does Mini-USB, Athena sucks

ringer switch - prolly 800w only

triband UMTS/quadband GSM - both, though Palm could pull ahead if they do a 1700 AWS UMTS to get T-Mo customers

S/W customizations - both will have native MS threaded sms/mms with Windows 6.1, there are 3rd party photodialing apps, Windows 6.1 has a new memory manager, Windows 6.1 has today screen dialing, Vm is supposed to have their own today screen enhancement, I'd really miss Palm's VCR voicemail icons though

So in the end, I'll get a 111 before the end of the summer rather than wait until next spring for the 850. Yeah, i'll miss the ringer switch, VCR voicemail controls, and 320 x 320 screen, but having something comparable if not better in the meantime is gonna be nice. Palm is really losing their edge....come on guys, catch up!!!

http://www.velocitymobile.com/
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey View Post
    So in the end, I'll get a 111 before the end of the summer rather than wait until next spring for the 850. Yeah, i'll miss the ringer switch, VCR voicemail controls, and 320 x 320 screen, but having something comparable if not better in the meantime is gonna be nice. Palm is really losing their edge....come on guys, catch up!!!
    FYI, both devices are slated for the same release schedule (Q3 for Velocity; "end of summer" for new WM Treos including GSM).

It will be interesting to see them go head to head (don't forget, Velocity at this point is merely re-branding phones made by Inventec, who is the ODM).

Hopefully Velocity will get some carrier support otherwise it'll be a very bumpy ride e.g. i-Mate.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey View Post
    As a GSM/UMTS user, a major new competitor has entered the field. I've been using Treo's since the 600 in 2003. I love 'em, and only briefly strayed to the TyTN for a few months before returning to the Treo 750.

When I think about the Velocity Mobile 111 versus the 850 (or whatever the GSM version of the 800w will be), its definately gonna give Palm a run for the money.

screen - 800w will likely be 320 x 320 versus 111's 240 x 320, though the VM 111 is a flush screen which is a very nice touch (pun intended)

GPS - both will hopefully have it

WiFi - again hopefully both

Bluetooth - VM is 2.1, I imagine that Palm will be 2.0

Qwerty bar - both

camera - probably a wash with both being 2 mpx fixed focus (wish either of them pulled a SE Xperia with the 3Mpx auto focus)

Processor - dunno yet for either

RAM - 128 for the VM 111, let's see what Palm does

ROM - 256 for the VM 111, let's see what Palm does

Expansion - VM 111 is MicroSD, I imagine Palm will do the same though they might use MiniSD for another generation

USB connector - VM 111 does Mini-USB, Athena sucks

ringer switch - prolly 800w only

triband UMTS/quadband GSM - both, though Palm could pull ahead if they do a 1700 AWS UMTS to get T-Mo customers

S/W customizations - both will have native MS threaded sms/mms with Windows 6.1, there are 3rd party photodialing apps, Windows 6.1 has a new memory manager, Windows 6.1 has today screen dialing, Vm is supposed to have their own today screen enhancement, I'd really miss Palm's VCR voicemail icons though

given how many "dunno's, prolly's, lets see what..." you mention, isn't it still too early to compare the two? having said that, the VM could be a nice device.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve