Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am beginning to think Palm needs to get out of hardware. They were getting slaughtered by Handspring and now its Sonys turn. Sony gets it and have dropped a big bomb on Palm. The 610 is going to kill the M505 with its 320x320 16bit color adjustable front light display. Everyone seems to be leap frogging on Palm. I just think that Palm should focus on the OS.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I second that. But than the problem is, is that the companies right now have these long lisence agreements (handspring is smart and recently renegotiaied to 2009!), that makes so little money for palm. They just can't get the revenues they need right now from software, without jacking up the price, and that would probably cause huge contract termination fees with handspring etc..

-my typing skills are seriously degrading again -
    Last edited by miradu; 06/25/2001 at 10:06 PM.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  3.    #3  
    Well Palm will make little money if they keep putting out devices like the M505. They need to kick it up a notch or just give up hardware.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Well Palm will make little money if they keep putting out devices like the M505. They need to kick it up a notch or just give up hardware.
    Let's face it guys, the market knows Palm OS devices because of Palm PDAs, and if Palm dies as a hardware manufacturer, the stock market on Palm OS devices will go down and Microsoft will take over. The father cannot die or its children (Handspring and Sony) will be left alone like to baby fishes on sharks water. I agree with all of you guys, that Palm is not doing his best anymore, but we have to give them a chance to get better on future devices. Handspring has not succeed either with the Edge. The Edge looks like a Tuna fish can and it really looks gross with the springboard adapter. We all know that, and a color Edge will not make it. The new Color Clie has a beautiful design and it looks much stronger that the Edge.

I don't know why Handspring always has to come with cheap designs. First, it was the Cheap plastic used in the VDX's. We had a lot of complains about it. Then, it was the paint problem with the Prism and Platinum. And now, it is the cheap metal used in the Edge.

Handspring, if you are reading this please listen to us and built a PDA that will really rock our world. After all we've been with you since you start walking your first steps. Oh, yeah we've seen you in diapers.

Al
    note: I've been lurking here for SOME time... but this post seemed REALLY uninformed. I post this as an Edge user of 2 months and someone who has REALLY been looking at getting a Clie N710C. I almost bought it twice this week....

Originally posted by acajigas
    The new Color Clie has a beautiful design and it looks much stronger that the Edge.
    Have you ever handled both units side by side? I noticed you said "looks much stronger...." Are you making that statement simply from the professionally taken web photos? The entire case of the Clie is made of soft ABS plastic all the way around. I was able to scratch the rear casing just by rubbing it on my shirt which had plastic buttons.

I carry my Edge in my back pocket. I have sat on it, dropped it, kept it in my pockets with keys and change, and it has no visible damage on it whatsoever.

I don't know why Handspring always has to come with cheap designs. First, it was the Cheap plastic used in the VDX's. We had a lot of complains about it. Then, it was the paint problem with the Prism and Platinum. And now, it is the cheap metal used in the Edge.
    Cheap metal? It is anodized aluminum. The SAME metal that is used in the Palm V, Vx, M500, and M505. As an actual owner and user of an Edge, I can tell you that the metal is quite sturdy.

I was all about to dump my Edge for the new Clie N710C when I saw the the beautiful web pics and read the feature list. I was incredibly impressed with the screen (SO nice! MUCH more readable than 160x160) however after the initial "wow" phase wore off I realized that the soft plastic construction was actually quite sub-par for anyone requiring a rugged PDA for everyday, on-the-go use.

Now of course different people have different requirements. I require a PDA that can sit in my pocket without worry. Since image is unfortunately rather important in my field of work, I CANNOT use anything requiring a dorky belt clip/pouch or bag or anything of that nature (same goes for cellophones). If I were a woman with the luxury of carrying a purse (lucky lasses! :P ), my form factor and sturdiness requirements would be quite different however.

-Trotsky
    Originally posted by Trotsky:
    note: I've been lurking here for SOME time... but this post seemed REALLY uninformed. [...]

I don't know about uninformed, but definitely coming from a different perspective. FWIW, every single review I've seen recently holds the opposite opinion. The only negative I've seen is usually WRT the stylus. Also, my experience concurs with yours. My Edge has been quite durable. I'll take this tuna can over a plastic PDA any day.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I don't mean to make Edge users feel bad about their units, but I would not like to see a Color version of the Edge for many reasons that we all know. By the way, there is always Ebay

Have you ever handled both units side by side? I noticed you said "looks much stronger...." Are you making that statement simply from the professionally taken web photos? The entire case of the Clie is made of soft ABS plastic all the way around. I was able to scratch the rear casing just by rubbing it on my shirt which had plastic buttons.

I had the oportunity to hold both units at CompUSA and the Clie has a neat design compared to the Edge. The Edge looks too flat, like somebody had stepped on it and the cover looks like is gonna break if somebody tiwst it with their hands. However, the Clie, even if it is plastic like you say, it has a professional design, looks much more expensive than the Edge. It looks like Sony has spent more bucks in its PDA design than Handspring.

Cheap metal? It is anodized aluminum. The SAME metal that is used in the Palm V, Vx, M500, and M505. As an actual owner and user of an Edge, I can tell you that the metal is quite sturdy.

If it is "anodized aluminum" like you said then it doesn't look as strong as the Vx. Don't you think? I've hold both units in my hand too and believe me, I would prefer to buy a Vx rather than an Edge.

Al
    I had the oportunity to hold both units at CompUSA and the Clie has a neat design compared to the Edge. The Edge looks too flat, like somebody had stepped on it and the cover looks like is gonna break if somebody tiwst it with their hands.
    Flat (i.e. thin) is bad?

I too was worried about the possibility of flexing the cover, but a month in my back pocket, a nasty spill, and lots of use on the bus says otherwise

However, the Clie, even if it is plastic like you say, it has a professional design, looks much more expensive than the Edge. It looks like Sony has spent more bucks in its PDA design than Handspring.
    Yep, personal taste. I can see what you meant by Tuna Can, and the Clie does look expensive. However, I prefer style to flash, and my personal taste is that the Edge is stylish like a Volvo or a Benz, and the Clie is flashy like a Firebird. I'll take the Benz.

If it is "anodized aluminum" like you said then it doesn't look as strong as the Vx. Don't you think? I've hold both units in my hand too and believe me, I would prefer to buy a Vx rather than an Edge.
    Looks, not actual experience. It's anodized aluminum, it's super tough. Would you keep a Vx in your back pocket?

We obviously have differing personal tastes, but the bottom line is that the Edge is one tough little mutha.
    ...Back on topic...

How much overhead does Palm have re: hardware vs software. I'm wondering if, despite the fact that they get so little for each PDA sold, they would have higher profits as just a software company...

...Downsize or die?
    I've held both units in my hands. Personally, I've found the Edge every bit as sturdy as a Vx (and, yes, it is anodized aluminum, but of course you knew that because you held it in your hand, right? ), and consider the Edge cover more sturdy that that leather thing Palm supplies with the Vx/M50X (although I wouldn't trust either to survive a 6 foot drop). At the time it came out, the Edge had Mac support, which the Vx didn't. The m50X series has Mac support, though.

As far as the Clie goes, I've only seen the web photos and read the reviews. Never held one, but the two things that I don't like about it is the Memory Stick (I don't much care for proprietary technologies) and the form factor (from the reviews I've read, the thing is at least as thick as a Prism! ). I also don't need a lot of the bells & whistles Sony always puts into their devices, and there's no Mac support (yet. From what I've read anyway).
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by sowens
    (although I wouldn't trust either to survive a 6 foot drop
    (God, I can't stop posting....)

I wouldn't try this at home, but Pre-Sancho (the edge I had to send back for manufacturer defects) survived a 8 foot drop just fine, landing on it's edge on concrete. Tough Mutha.
    Originally posted by acajigas:
    I don't mean to make Edge users feel bad about their units

You're not.

If it is "anodized aluminum" like you said

It is.

then it doesn't look as strong as the Vx.

Opinions vary.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    The only thing HS could do to improve upon the edge (WRT durability), AFAIC, would be to water proof it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    The only thing HS could do to improve upon the edge (WRT durability), AFAIC, would be to water proof it.
    That would be quite the feat. I could see it now, scuba divers whipping ut their PDA underwater
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    That would be quite the feat. I could see it now, scuba divers whipping ut their PDA underwater
    I hear that the Marines have a special silicon spray, they open up all their electronics gear and coat everything with, and it increases water resistance a whole bunch.. would probably be good enough for an accidental dunk in the can...
    Originally posted by sowens

As far as the Clie goes, I've only seen the web photos and read the reviews. Never held one, but the two things that I don't like about it is the Memory Stick (I don't much care for proprietary technologies)
    I'm sorry to but a Visor fan saying that they don't like Sony's "proprietary technology" is like the pot calling the kettle black. The Springboard is certainly proprietary.
    <><
    That's like saying Ford should give up on the Taurus just because it's selling slightly behind the POS Camry!

Palm STILL sells more units than Handspring, and Palm STILL has the best form factor, color OR b&w!

Sure, it's no Clie in terms of gadgets, but Joe CEO wants something that solves HIS problems. For most, that's size, not mp3's & high-res screens.

Not to mention, despite the VC gripings, the M5X's are selling quite well from what I have heard.

Oh yes, I imagine the Edge's & style is what we call "Teutonic."

The M505's? "Curvaceous"

The Clie's? "Pontiac Asstek"
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by LanMan

I'm sorry to but a Visor fan saying that they don't like Sony's "proprietary technology" is like the pot calling the kettle black. The Springboard is certainly proprietary.
    Who said I liked the Springboard?
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by bblue
    That's like saying Ford should give up on the Taurus just because it's selling slightly behind the POS Camry!
    Uh, I think this is the first time I've ever heard a Camry reffered to as a POS, especially compared to a Taurus. Once again...Japanese make the better product.

Anyways, Ford hasn't been losing as much as Palm.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    At the risk of going WAAYY off topic, I've got to agree with Matt. I drive a Camry, and it's not a "POS." I've driven a Taurus (rental), and although I wouldn't call it a POS either, it's nowhere near as nice as the Toyota.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast