Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LanMan wrote:
    I'm sorry to but a Visor fan saying that they don't like Sony's "proprietary technology" is like the pot calling the kettle black. The Springboard is certainly proprietary.

Proprietary, but adaptable to non-proprietary expansion technologies, like the SM and CF versions of the MemPlug, to name two. And Innogear (flame shield) was working on a Memory Stick adapter Springboard. Moreover, only the Springboard slot is proprietary (the only licensee to date being Symbol Technologies); no licensing is required to make a Springboard module.

The distinction isn't academic. Sony's licensing fees have had a direct bearing on the high cost of third-party Memory Sticks. Recently, Sony changed its licensing terms so that licensee only have to pay a flat fee rather than a per-unit royalty. Still, even as late as last week, the cheapest listing for a 64MB Memory Stick was higher than the cheapest listings for SM and CF cards -- not counting the one-time cost of adapter modules, of course.
    dietrichbohn wrote:
    Flat (i.e. thin) is bad?

I don't think acajigas meant "thin," but frontally flat compared to the Clié, and especially the Vx/M50x. I agree.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    I don't think acajigas meant "thin," but frontally flat compared to the Clié, and especially the Vx/M50x. I agree.

I thought of that last night (creepy that I was pondering a vc post) and realized that's what was meant. Yep, it's flat, like a sardine can. But, I like the styling better than the m series--personal preference.
    This is a scathing commentary on Big Carl's Speech yesterday. Even I winced, and I'm no fan of Big Carl's Krusty Palm Burgers.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    David Coursey's commentary, while not exactly scathing, is simply wrong. Palm isn't a software company like Microsoft, the OS can't (for years, at least) match the volume sales of Windows desktop systems, nor can Palm make anywhere near as much per license (a WinME OEM license pulls in five times a much as a Palm OS license). People even complained about Palm's decision to charge $20 for an OS upgrade, and that's consumer pricing!

The only light at the end of the tunnel for Palm is if its upcoming always-on wireless models take off, which is possible, judging from the popularity of email-enabled Motorola Talkabout/Timeport 2-way pagers, which are all the rage with teenagers here in LA. Kids are paying $200-300 for these things, and another $30-45 a month for service -- kids who don't even have a car. These, in addition to Blackberries, point to a viable demand for wireless connectivity. The question is: can Palm do it right?
    You don't call this scathing?
    From ZDNet:
    ....But since I sat through his hour-long Expo keynote yesterday, I feel obliged to offer some advice: Don't wear all black ever again. Burn those clothes. You don't look good in them and, more importantly, it sends the wrong message. Next time you dress for a speech, first look in the mirror and repeat to yourself 10 times: "I am not Steve Jobs."

CARL, IF YOU'RE SO DAMNED UPBEAT about Palm's prospects, why are you dressed like a big lump of coal? Where's the funeral?

Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Kids are paying $200-300 for these things, and another $30-45 a month for service -- kids who don't even have a car.
    Sounds like the m115. With snapcovers and MJ, there could be the potential for some real volume.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    ZDNet is a real crappy site, I personally could care less about this guy's comments, especially when one of his main arguments was what the guy chose to wear.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Didn't ZDNet run some articles a year or so back claiming that Palm OS PDAs were worthless toys?
    slotmachine wrote:
    You don't call this scathing?

Not in any substantive way. If Coursey wants to be Mr. Blackwell, great, but Yankowski's wardrobe isn't going to make or break Palm.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12