Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/clie/

What! No upgrade path to Palm OS 4.0 for the 710? I want 16-bit color!

I mean, in that case I'll wait for the 610 and pay $100 less.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  2.    #2  
    Looking over Sony's rather convoluted web page:

1) Yup, N710C still ships with OS 3.5.2, N610C ships with OS 4.0 (and advertises itself as having 16 bit color display).

2) N610C comes in two different colors, silver and violet.

3) N610C has same dimensions as N710C.

4) S320 is standard 160x160 resolution, sells for $199, has 8MB.

5) S320 lists the serial cradle as an accessory (but not the 610
    or the 710). However the S320 comes with a USB sync cable.

6) They all come with gVideo. Oh, joy.

----
    I would REALLY like to find out from someone at the Expo whether the N710C will be upgradable to OS 4.0, and/or if there's some hardware in the 610C not in the 710C that is there to speed up 16-bit display.
    Jeff Meyer

The accelerator in the N710C is plenty fast enough for 16-bit.

I suspect the difference is in the all-important fact that the N710C is shipping today. The others aren't. Somewhere I saw an estimate of July/August timeframe for the new machines. Since the color ones are basically just the current machine minus features, I would guess that the delay is to get the Sony port of OS4 finished. When it is available, I suspect that the N710C will be updated to the new OS.

Unfortunately, that says nothing about an upgrade for existing machines. I hope they make it available even if it requires sending it to Sony.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    Unfortunately, that says nothing about an upgrade for existing machines. I hope they make it available even if it requires sending it to Sony.
    I wouldn't mind a bit -- but I would like to know now.

If anyone who's at the PC Expo would care to ask a Sony rep, I'd appreciate it. I'd rather buy a 710 than a 610...
    Jeff Meyer

Somebody over at Palm InfoCenter just posted that they talked to a Sony rep and were told that the upgrade is currently being tested.

This would be a very good thing.
    Somebody over at Palm InfoCenter just posted that they talked to a Sony rep and were told that the upgrade is currently being tested.

I was never worried baby. I knew my 710 had 4MB of Flash Rom

At$399 the 610 will kill the $449 M505. The question is does the 610 have flash rom?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    At$399 the 610 will kill the $449 M505.
    I was just at the Manhattan Beach Fry's. They are selling the M505 at $399 - the same as the Prism.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    Originally posted by mikedemo

I was never worried baby. I knew my 710 had 4MB of Flash Rom

At$399 the 610 will kill the $449 M505. The question is does the 610 have flash rom?
    Yes, the 610C will also have 4MB flash ROM.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man

Yes, the 610C will also have 4MB flash ROM.
    Sweet. Now will Handspring start using Flash Rom?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Does anyone know the dimensions of the new Clie's? After waffling on the N710C for a while the thing that turned me off was the incredible thickness and the soft plastic construction.

However, I am absolutely in love with the hi-res screen. I am hoping with the removal of the MP3 unit the Clie 610's will be thinner. However every picture of the new units is in that misleading three quarter view which can make even the Clie N710C look as thin as an Edge when it's actually almost twice as thick.

-Trotsky
    The dimensions for the 610 are shown in, what I think are, inches while the 710 are in mm.

710 71 (W) x 118.5 (H) x 16.8 (D) mm 160 g
    610 2 7/8" (W) x 4 3/4" (H) x 11/16" (D) 5.65 oz

Using Handspring's conversion calculator I figure the new 610 is roughly:

610 (Est.) 73 (W) x 120.7 (H) x 17.5 (D) mm 160.2 g

Since the measurements are so close, and me being doubtful that they'd make the 610 larger I think they're both the same size.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Every time I miss an alarm, I think of that nifty vibrating 505 I played with at Best Buy, the one with the screen which looked exactly like the Prism (to me, under the store lights it was brighter than the prism w/o the sidelight). I think that the vibe alarm is much more useful than higher quality images. Maby one of handspring's new products will make me stop dreaming of that 505, but the clie wont with that thick case, memory stick, and non-vibe alarm.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    The dimensions for the 610 are shown in, what I think are, inches while the 710 are in mm.

710 71 (W) x 118.5 (H) x 16.8 (D) mm 160 g
    610 2 7/8" (W) x 4 3/4" (H) x 11/16" (D) 5.65 oz

Using Handspring's conversion calculator I figure the new 610 is roughly:

610 (Est.) 73 (W) x 120.7 (H) x 17.5 (D) mm 160.2 g

Since the measurements are so close, and me being doubtful that they'd make the 610 larger I think they're both the same size.
    They're the same size. It took me some time to figure this out yesterday -- as you pointed out, Sony has the 710 in metric and the 610 in inches. (Sony marcomm people on crack cocaine! )

However, I have the English size measurements for the 710 from earlier, and the 610 and 710 are identical. The S320 has somewhat different dimensions (I didn't compare it to the S300.)
    Jeff Meyer

Probably the new Sony's are not designed for basic things such as time management, where you need a vibrating alarm.
    These devices are entertainment devices. You can play videos (stored on Memorystick), listen to MP3s or play games at high resolution (must be quite cool ).

Mike is right: the 610 will kill the m505. Good work, Sony.
    It seems the only difference I care about is the MP3 player. So can a 610 potentially play MP3's? where would the headphones go? The price sounds more palatable for the 610.
  16.    #16  

YESSSS.... (Though I'd love confirmation from someone on VC who's at the Expo and could talk to a Sony rep.)

If Handspring doesn't announce something hi-res by the end of the week, I'm a N710C.

Igor! Call Best Buy! Prepare the MasterCard!
    Jeff Meyer

Maybe we can get a group discount on the 710's!

Come on, Handspring! I thought they had a breakfast announcement this morning...?
    Originally posted by bookrats
    They're the same size.
    DANG my hopes are dashed. The new Clie's are TOO THICK. The web pics misled me into thinking "Wow! Mp3, hi-res, color and about the size of an EDGE?! MINE MINE MINE!" I reserved a chunk of my entertainment budget for that thing. But after handling it and comparing it side by side with my Edge... ugh.

The screen is so sweet it hurts my very soul to look at. But I've been spoiled by having a tiny cellphone and a tiny pda. I can't stand having unnatural bulges in my pockets....

I'd snap up a m505 in a second if the screen didn't require a halogen torchlight to view it with.

-Trotsky
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    DANG my hopes are dashed. The new Clie's are TOO THICK. The web pics misled me into thinking "Wow! Mp3, hi-res, color and about the size of an EDGE?! MINE MINE MINE!" I reserved a chunk of my entertainment budget for that thing. But after handling it and comparing it side by side with my Edge... ugh.
    Actually, used to a VDX, I find the Clie a bit short and thin for perfection. (Though it's not a big enough issue to keep me from buying one.) Thickness isn't significantly different.

But I've been spoiled by having a tiny cellphone and a tiny pda. I can't stand having unnatural bulges in my pockets....
    Ahhhh.... no. No, I'm going to leave that one alone.
    Jeff Meyer

20.    #20  
    Looks pretty solid -- see this VC thread for more info.
    Jeff Meyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast