Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    French - you can definitely watch movies. The Curve makes a decent enough MP3 player although it's a pain to create playlists in OS4.2 (since you have to create them on the PC) but that's supposed to be fixed in the next release. I don't stream music since I've got a couple gigs of MP3 I carry with me, but I believe it can be done - at least with OS4.3 on the CDMA Curves (my Sprint one should be here Monday).

What other apps were you looking for? When I first got my 8300 Curve, I did alot of searching and comparison. I may be able to help you find some alternatives to look at.
    Does the BB Curve have apps the equivelant or better then live search,memmaid,tcpmp,sports ticker,soft reset app,resco file explorer,tv guide? I know SlingPlayer is about to be released & JiveTalk is available.
    First, a caveat. "equivalent" or "better" are judgement calls so we may/may not agree. That said, here are some answers:
    • MS Live Search is available for the BB (surprising, isn't it?)
    • memmaid - not an equivalent that I know of, but it's specific to Windows anyway. The BBOS does it's own memory management but you can always clear some of the service logs to recover that memory. Other than that, I don't have experience with memmaid as I had POS Treos.
    • tcpmp - the builtin media player is decent but doesn't have the codec flexibility that tcpmp has or features like skins or an equalizer. There are some new 3rd party BB media players out there (Dollar5 media player for example) that have many more features, but I haven't played with them at all.
    • sports ticker - Google had so many hits I wasn't sure which one it was. You can always use the free version of Handmark Pocket Express to get news, standings, schedules, etc. I've been using it for years to track NFL, NBA, MLB, and NCAA.
    • soft reset app - there are free/donation reset apps but to be 100% honest, you rarely if ever need to do it. It's far, far more stable than POS ever was.
    • resco file explorer - haven't really found an equivalent, but a more important question might be what did you use it for? That is one native app I'd like to have just to traverse whatever I had on the SD card
    • TV Guide comes with Handmark Pocket Express but may be available separately as well (it is a separate app but bundled with Pocket Express)

Can't wait for SlingPlayer. SprintTV is going to have to hold me over in the mean time.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  3. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    First, a caveat. "equivalent" or "better" are judgement calls so we may/may not agree. That said, here are some answers:
    • MS Live Search is available for the BB (surprising, isn't it?)
    • memmaid - not an equivalent that I know of, but it's specific to Windows anyway. The BBOS does it's own memory management but you can always clear some of the service logs to recover that memory. Other than that, I don't have experience with memmaid as I had POS Treos.
    • tcpmp - the builtin media player is decent but doesn't have the codec flexibility that tcpmp has or features like skins or an equalizer. There are some new 3rd party BB media players out there (Dollar5 media player for example) that have many more features, but I haven't played with them at all.
    • sports ticker - Google had so many hits I wasn't sure which one it was. You can always use the free version of Handmark Pocket Express to get news, standings, schedules, etc. I've been using it for years to track NFL, NBA, MLB, and NCAA.
    • soft reset app - there are free/donation reset apps but to be 100% honest, you rarely if ever need to do it. It's far, far more stable than POS ever was.
    • resco file explorer - haven't really found an equivalent, but a more important question might be what did you use it for? That is one native app I'd like to have just to traverse whatever I had on the SD card
    • TV Guide comes with Handmark Pocket Express but may be available separately as well (it is a separate app but bundled with Pocket Express)

Can't wait for SlingPlayer. SprintTV is going to have to hold me over in the mean time.
    Thanks so much for breaking it down for me.
    I was using Resco to beam via bluetooth files & documents. Does the Curve already support this or is there an app that adds that feature?
    Yup. In the media player there is a pretty simple file explorer which you can use to see files in onboard memory (just pics, videos, ringtones, music, and voice memos) as well as files on the SD card (all).
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Yup. In the media player there is a pretty simple file explorer which you can use to see files in onboard memory (just pics, videos, ringtones, music, and voice memos) as well as files on the SD card (all).
    So will it beam via bluetooth? Like a MS Word doc or something?
    Sorry, meant to say that. Yes, it will.

Kind of back on the media player, I have had some problems converting video for the Curve because of the limited codecs supported in OS4.2 and OS4.3. That is supposed to be expanded in the next OS release. Part of the problem was the software I was using to do the conversion, but the other part was due to the limited choice of codecs.
    French - you can definitely watch movies. The Curve makes a decent enough MP3 player although it's a pain to create playlists in OS4.2 (since you have to create them on the PC) but that's supposed to be fixed in the next release. I don't stream music since I've got a couple gigs of MP3 I carry with me, but I believe it can be done - at least with OS4.3 on the CDMA Curves (my Sprint one should be here Monday).

What other apps were you looking for? When I first got my 8300 Curve, I did alot of searching and comparison. I may be able to help you find some alternatives to look at.
    I just saw this...sorry it took me so long.

I was really hoping to see SplashMoney, which I use religiously. I'll definitely buy SplashShopper (I use that now and love it). I have since figured out that movies can be watched, though I'm hearing some possible issues with the sound streaming to a bluetooth headset. Not a deal breaker, but I hope it is resolved.

Games...I think I'll just need to learn some new ones. Cake Mania isn't going to work without a touch screen.

For me, the big one is the checkbook. I love having my checkbook with balance on me at all times. Oh, and an alarm clock would be very cool. One that could illuminate all night would be awesome. Something to replace your "home" alarm clock for when you travel. And a countdown timer, but preferably one that actually COUNTS DOWN, not one that just simply sets an alarm for the designated time out. I woud like to see one that counts down from my setting (10, 9, 8, 7) rather than setting an alarm for 10 minutes from now. I hope I articulated what I'm asking for. I cook stuff which is the other end of my very long house and I can't hear the timer going off. I would like to keep my BB with me and be able to glance to see how much longer til whatever I'm cooking is done. Oh, and it should be capable of working in the background.

A weather app that can be set up to automatically sync before I get up would be great.

I think those are the big ticket items for right now.
    Yea, I'm a little surprised SplashMoney hasn't been ported to the BB since most of their other apps have been. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email hoping they are working on it. The other leading alternative seems to be Ascendo Money. I saw "leading" only because I see it mentioned fairly often and the company has multiple BB products (I use DataVault). I don't have personal experience with either app. I also saw a ref to mobileCheckbook which be worth a look.

Hate to break it to you, but you can't route video audio through stereo BT - at least with the default video player (haven't investigated 3rd-party ones). Best guess is that it's because the audio might get out of sync with the video after going through the BT radio and there isn't an option in the BB media player to adjust the video/audio sync like there was in TCPMP. That was mildly disappointing to me as well, but I have a backup pair of wired earbuds I have for when my BT stereo ones run out of battery. It's something I've learned to live without.

Can't help you on games - I've sworn off them (too many addictions as it is

For an alarm clock, there are multiple pay-ware apps out there, but take a look at MyAlarm. For donation-ware, it's pretty capable and offers up to 6 separate alarms. For each one, it can play either a tone or an MP3 file (a nice touch). It won't keep the screen on all night, but runs in the background and will launch itself at the alarm time. Yes, the BB has *real* multitasking .

For a timer, see the freeware StopWatch which does both lap times and countdown. On the countdown, it doesn't seem to want to generate the tone, but the vibrate definitely works (it was released in 2004). Very comparable is the freeware Chronograph which does both lap and countdown.

For weather forecasts, there are multiple options but I've been happy with the basic forecasts in WorldMate Live which is actually better for the itinerary sync capability. The free version is good enough for my needs, but if you travel alot the flight schedules and status capabilities may be worth the subscription (I do miss the Treo FlightStatus app, but there are multiple web sites for the same info).

I also like PocketExpress which has local and global weather forecasts plus much, much more. Like WorldMate Live, some channels are free and some are subscription-based (e.g. Flight Status) but even the free ones are very worth having IMHO. For detailed weather (radar, etc), I'll fire up one of many mobile web sites.

Hope this helps and welcome to the other side
    Thank you for all the helpful information. Most of what you mentioned here I had stumbled on in my pre research, but some of it is new. I'm not familiar with WorldMate live so will definitely check that out. Also not really familiar with PocketExpress so will check that out as well.
    You can't put apps on the minisd without buying a app its totally stupid. All apps must be on the curve memory.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    True. At the same time though, there is much more user memory on the BB (esp the 8330) so you don't need to conserve memory as much. Y putting apps on the sd card.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I took the plunge! After being a "palm" user and supporter for many years, I thought it was time. The VZ "8330 curve" is great ! Fast internet, flawless push email, outstanding camera, easy to use, small and light. MMS and SMS along with IM.
    pretty painless wasn't it.....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    msales, french, how do you find using the trackball vs. touchscreen. I have really gotten used to palm touchscreeen, easy to jump around. I rarely use stylus, just fingertip/nail. Is one handed operation easy on the curve?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I too took the plunge last week, dumped my 755p for a Curve with Verizon. I can't believe how easy and fast this little baby is...I don't know why I waited so long...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Trackball took a few hours ...maybe... to get used to! It actually is very easy to use one handed. Fast, stable, and user friendly.
    I am currently running both a 755p and a Curve. I think the 755p smokes the BB. I use the BB only because right now Sprint is having an issue with its Biz Connect product that I need to get corp. e-mail. I can find not one aspect of the Curve (except maybe its size, but that leads to a worse keyboard), that I like better than the 755p.

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 06/22/2008 at 09:28 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12