Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Wow. I can't believe I forgot about Modu when I was writing that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Wow. I can't believe I forgot about Modu when I was writing that!
    Honestly, Modu's offerings were nothing more than mildly interesting to me prior to your article, as they appeared to be focused on feature phones. I never connected the idea of using something like that as a VisorPhone.

It really looks like two four-letter companies that ought to get a bit more familiar with each other, doesn't it?

Quite frankly, I think it's a good idea for any platform to keep the carrier certification as separate as possible.
    Who's flying this thing?
    That would be great if they brought it back but in 4-layer modules. The whole thing would be the size of a centro maybe a little bigger. And it would look like a centro too with three changes.

Layer -1) would be one Big screen ( no keys). The bottom part would look like top and the mic piece would double as a speaker( for stereo use only).
    All of the guts of the device would stay in this area(but the battery, speaker, and camera) .

Layer -2) This is the Visor-phone layer only the headset jack is visible. No battery needed, the power comes from the device. This can be sold separately. The only requirement is the contacts to the next layer has to pass thru to the next layer.

Layer -3) Could be whatever you want it to be a Slider keyboard (like the Nokia 810), wifi,VGA adapter, any thing a third party vendor can think of. The only requirement is the contacts to the next layer has to pass thru to the next layer.

Layer -4) This is the battery/speaker/camera layer. For all you corporate types you can exchange the battery/speaker/camera layer with palm for a battery/speaker layer for longer battery life minus the camera.

IF you do not want the Layer-2 or Layer-3 you do not have to add it. this way it can do cool stuff with NO HUMP.

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by TekLord View Post
    That would be great if they brought it back but in 4-layer modules. The whole thing would be the size of a centro maybe a little bigger. And it would look like a centro too with three changes.
    Kinda cool idea, but wow does it sound complex to me.

Also, I'm having trouble believing that this would reach customers as modules and be anywhere near as thin as the Centro. I mean, look at all the layers of sandwiched casing in the middle... six! That, plus possibly adding on some hinge-nerd magic in the form of a slider keyboard... I think you're seeing a device that would be at least 30% (rough number off the top of my head) thicker than a Centro. In Palm's hands, I'd expect it to be even thicker than that.

IF you do not want the Layer-2 or Layer-3 you do not have to add it. this way it can do cool stuff with NO HUMP.
    I'm definitely in for the no-hump policy, but I think I'd rather see a setup like the Modu and be able to buy different 'shell' devices that could dock that core. I think that combining two objects into one will result in a more rigid, lighter, and compact structure than attempting to layer four objects.
    Who's flying this thing?
    I understand what you are saying. A 4 - layer phone seems much.
    But 2- 4 layers would be the max. Unlike the iPhone , the centro is already in 2 layers the phone and the battery.
    A six layer can be too think I know someone out there would like it. I am thinking of flat LEGO pieces.

The cellphone module would be no bigger then a CF memory card with a small antenna and jack at the top (NO Hump). Maybe two CF Card bays. One on the top and one on the bottom.

I am sorry but i do not like the modu( a phone inside a phone idea)

How about this why don't they just use the Modu idea and use existing PCMA data card.

what aout that pay phone from that MOIVE "ultra-violet"
    The cellphone module would be no bigger then a CF memory card with a small antenna and jack at the top (NO Hump). Maybe two CF Card bays. One on the top and one on the bottom.

I am sorry but i do not like the modu( a phone inside a phone idea)

How about this why don't they just use the Modu idea and use existing PCMA data card.
    I think you're latching on to what I meant but expressed poorly. I don't necessarily think that a fully-functional phone with screen and buttons and all should be held within another phone. I do think that a core module that provides all the parts that must be carrier-approved in it would be good, and yes, I was thinking that it could be smaller than what Modu has come up with... but props to them for coming up with the idea of a minimal implementation within a shell. I don't think that this module should have a direct jack to the outside, but the connection the module uses should be standardized, and that connection should include all that is necessary to communicate with the core module.

what aout that pay phone from that MOIVE "ultra-violet"
    Sorry. Never saw it.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Kind of sad that the Visor phone could handle three way calling better then my Treo 755p could.

You could cancel three way calling instead of hanging up on everyone...

But our Trusty Fav screen for the phone and Blazer hasn't changed much in 7 years (unless you have a GSM Treo 680 or a GSM Centro)

Both facts are pretty sad...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I think the phone modual is a great idea.
    When I had my Casio Casiophia E200 on pockect PC 2002 Sprint came out with a Phone/data that fit in the Compact flash slot (the E200 also had a SD slot for memory). It had it's own battery that could be taken off and the phone would draw power from the PDA or if you left the battery attached it had an articulating hinge so that it would hug the back of my E200. It also came with a PCMIA adapter to use it in a laptop as a phone or for data.

The only thing I did not like was the mic and speaker were not intergrated into the PDA through the CF slot. You had to use a wired headset.

The CF-2031 from Sprint and the Visor phone were ahead of the time.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    The sad thing is that the Treo (at least the 650, which I could probably disassemble blindfolded by now) was really very modular. The main board has the TI OMAP and memory on the back, and the keypad and screen attachment on the front. But--the back of the board has a connector to the radio board! The same main board can use either GSM or CDMA radios, just needing a reflash. The radio board has the (removable) camera, SIM slot, contacts for the back speaker, and radio/chipset. A "modular" Treo 650 was really very possible, though it wouldn't have been user-servicable.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Does anyone still use their Visor and Visorphone on a regular basis?
    The big fat Visorphone is sitting in its charging cradle near me as I type.

Started when I had a Handspring Visor Deluxe. It was the black Visor that got updated over the Original. B/W screen that looked great under good light, crappy all other times. Two AA batteries.

Then I heard VoiceStream was giving away Visorphone modules to sign up. They were $500, then $250...now they were free if you sign up. They just named my price! The data plan was pricey, and I just wanted the phone function, so I never saw the Net on this phone. Due to inertia, I'm still on the same plan with T-Mobile, who absorbed VoiceStream. Sad, but I still see that old name today as the network I use on the phone.

Stuck the Visorphone on my Visor. I had the clunkiest, coolest phone around. And it wasn't all that clunky then. I found a belt holster made by Bianchi, who makes molded nylon gun holsters for cops. This holster was made for the original Motorola StarTAC wedge-shaped flip-phone. My phone fit perfectly. The holster has definitely seen better days, but I still use it.

I was soooo happy that everybody I knew in my Address Book was tappable and dialable.

The ringer in the Visorphone died. It would vibrate, but not ring. Took it apart and semi-fixed it. It worked for a while, but died again. Pulled out my fix...some folded paper...and sent it in for warranty repair. Got a new Visorphone and battery.

Fastforward to when I walked a few miles down Las Vegas Boulevard to Fry's and bought a reconditioned Handspring Visor Prism. Coooool! Nice, bright color display. The move of the Visorphone to the Prism was smooth and painless.

Years later, the Visorphone module goes haywire. I take it apart and flush the circuitry and connectors with cleaner. Nasty bunch of gunk inside. Put it together, back to normal.

The Prism was slowly dying. It's internal rechargeable battery was tired. The case was cracked in places. I luck on a perfect replacement at the flea market for 5 bucks. In really nice shape. With much fresher batteries. Moved the Visorphone.

It's still my cell phone. The Visorphone module took a hit recently, and only two of the four screws that should hold it together are doing their jobs. The battery is still hanging on, but getting old.

I really had someone see it recently, and ask me if it was an iPhone.

If you can't tell, I'm cheap. And the prices of the VERY few Palm choices I have (and the networks they're tied to) are a deterrent. Internet on the phone would be luxurious, but not cheap. I really don't know what my next cell phone will be. But I have to decide soon.

I work a geek job, so the holster still isn't out of place. But it's tired, and I'm tired of it.

Too bad they don't sell unlocked Centros....
    Wow. When will I learn. Do NOT say stupid things like...
    "My crummy old car is running great lately!"
    "We've NEVER had a hail storm around here!"
    "My kids have an absolutely spotless police record!"
    "I STILL use a Visorphone!"

Little did I know I was writing my poor old Visorphone's obituary.

It lost its mind once again. I just couldn't face trying to repair it one more time. It was finally done. I held my nose and marched into gray pee and pee, signed a contract, and got me a Centro.

Hard to believe how many generations of Treos I leaped over. I would have preferred a Treo, but the Centro's price is right. I like the Centro, but don't love it. It's too danged small. I would love to have the same screen size of the old Handspring Visor Prism, and the rest of the unit scaled accordingly. Oh wait...they MADE that unit, but only released it in Europe.

I hate it when a company treats a purchase as a "marketing opportunity". The crapware and installed offers on the gray pee and pee Centro are pretty bad.

Can't find an adapter that makes the headphone jack work right for stereo headphones. Centro CAN send out stereo Bluetooth, but you gotta buy additional software to do it. It's like they really don't want you to use the Centro as an MP3 player, even though it's a selling point.

Can't USB into the micro SD memory chip like any other USB memory? What kind of crap is that!?

Getting used to the eensy weensy keyboard. But I miss Graffiti. Even though the Centro stylus is a wimpy plastic toothpick.

Blazer is an enigma. Works surprisingly well at displaying the Web on a tiny screen. But doesn't really work well enough. Kinda like viewing the world through a paper towel cardboard tube. No Flash is a downer.

I really can't say I miss the old Visorphone/Visor combo. But I do miss its brutal size and simplicity. Much fewer features, but did them well.
    Find a copy of Palm IBM Java runtime and install Opera Mini. It's a damn nice browser but can be unstable at times. Also look at Softick Card Export II (http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/) for USB access to your MicroSD card w/o buying a reader. And if you are interested in email check out ChatterMail.

You have my condolences.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12