1.    #1  
    This is a thread spliting from the Visor Snap rumors thread. We got side tracked into a debate on whats the best way to get more display area. Well here's my suggestion for getting more display on a Palm and yet still keeping the Graffiti area.

Take a look at a comp I made by modifying a Sony Clie.

Click for image

Just move the writing area down, shift the application buttons, get rid of the up/down button in favor of the jog wheel (Thankyou Sony!!!) and the Palm for goodness sake make it a Palm device standard. Keeping the graffiti area prevents wear and tear on the image area which is important. This should be easily done with Visors, Clies and Handeras because they have the space to spare. I don't know if this can be done with the M505 because its so short and we all know how Palm would not want to impact its form factor.

Tell me what ya think.

BTW No Holy wars okay?
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/23/2001 at 01:56 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Keeping the graffiti area prevents wear and tear on the image area which is important.
    Is it? You are going to get wear and tear on the screen regardless.

I think the best solution is to make the graffiti area 'soft' ala the handera and PPC and then just use a screen protector and/or hope that the PDA manufacturers start producing more rugged screens.

The grafitti area is wasted space at this point...no matter how big you make the screen, people will want the graffiti area to be soft to make the screen even bigger.

BTW, your image didn't load.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  3.    #3  
    I fixed the link. hopefully you can see it now.

You have a good point, but I was just thinking of a happy medium. There are pluses and minuses to the graffiti area.
    -Mikedemo
    You have to put a ? after the URL.

I like the idea, I agree you can ditch that kinda stupid Clie logo but you're wrong in saying that Visors, etc... could add this without changing the form factor, they may have space to spare but not enough...

Virtual Graffiti is still a better idea, in my opinion.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Yes, very nice picture, but now you've lost the big power button (conveniently labeled "power" for the curious among us) with the glowing greenish-yellowish LED.

No glowing power button, no way.

Sorry Mike, it doesn't work.

I cut up my Clie exactly like your picture and glued on the new buttons. Now I can't get it to work at all. Any help is appreciated.
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Mike, your mod assumes that there is some free empty space at the bottom of your Clie, so you can just stretch the screen and move the buttons down there. I think you are forgetting about the serial port electronics and the battery, which currently inhabit that space. Let's face it, the screen on these handhelds are as big as will fit in such small devices. The only way to get more screen space is to: 1) make the devices bigger and/or thicker (ugh!), or 2) implement the graffiti area in software. I've played with the HandEra and have to say I love the virtual graffiti area! The argument about the screen scratches is a red herring, IMHO, because you can always keep it maximized if you don't like using that part of the screen for display (and no developer in their right mind is going to make a program that ONLY runs when the graffiti area is minimized!). The soft graffiti area just gives you more flexibility for those of us who would like Palm device manufacturers to stop wasting all this screen real estate!!!
    Last edited by Rob; 06/24/2001 at 09:24 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by CaptainCaveman
    Yes, very nice picture, but now you've lost the big power button (conveniently labeled "power" for the curious among us) with the glowing greenish-yellowish LED.

No glowing power button, no way.

They could move the power button to the top (like an M505) my main effort was to show that these devices (Clie, Handeras, Visor) have room to play with. Whether they'll do it is another. Its interesting the read what everyone else has to say about it. There are a lot of people who prefer a virtual graffiti area. But if thats the case why not just be able to write anywhere on the screen like the newton, or atleast like a Palm with "Jot" installed on it.

I like both solutions to a point.
    -Mikedemo
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Rob
    Mike, your mod assumes that there is some free empty space at the bottom of your Clie, so you can just stretch the screen and move the buttons down there. I think you are forgetting about the serial port electronics and the battery, which currently inhabit that space. Let's face it, the screen on these handhelds are as big as will fit in such small devices. The only way to get more screen space is to: 1) make the devices bigger and/or thicker (ugh!), or 2) implement the graffiti area in software. I've played with the HandEra and have to say I love the virtual graffiti area! The argument about the screen scratches is a red herring, IMHO, because you can always keep it maximized if you don't like using that part of the screen for display (and no developer in their right mind is going to make a program that ONLY runs when the graffiti area is minimized!). The soft graffiti area just gives you more flexibility for those of us who would like Palm device manufacturers to stop wasting all this screen real estate!!!

Point taken. Could the graffiti area be a make up for not having the processing power of a PPC?
    -Mikedemo
    Could the graffiti area be a make up for not having the processing power of a PPC?
    I don't think that has anything to do with it. I just think it was a design decision early on...probably for the sake of simplicity.

As you mentioned, there is still a lot of good things that can be taken/stolen from the Newton.

As cool as all of the new Palm's and PPCs are...they are only just catching up to what the Newton was doing 5 years ago.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    There are a lot of people who prefer a virtual graffiti area. But if thats the case why not just be able to write anywhere on the screen like the newton...
    While there are some advantages to being able to write anywhere on the screen, I'm not sure in the end if it's really worth it. It complicates the user interface and development, since the application (or OS) has to distinguish between a tap on a screen UI element (e.g. text box, drop down menu, radio button, etc.) and the beggining of a graffiti character (e.g. a period). The way they did it on my old Vadem Clio was to force the user to hold down the stylus for a period of time before it switched from character input/handwriting recognition mode to screen tapping mode. And there's additional difficulty if you want to be able to support double-tapping, tap-and-hold, drag-and-drop, etc. interfaces.

I think it makes a lot of sense to have an area reserved for input. It makes the interface a lot easier for users to understand, and developers to program. I just think you should be able to hide/minimize the input area, to free up screen space when you need it (esp. for ebooks, web browsing, photos, and games). In fact, if you want to make it really easy to use, you could add a hardware button that toggles the virtual graffiti area on and off. Ideally, it would be on the side of the device, like the 'back' button on the Sony Clie2. That way, you could pop it up with your thumb to enter a URL, then hide it again when the web page loads, all without changing your grip. Then again, maybe we have too many buttons already.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Rob
    In fact, if you want to make it really easy to use, you could add a hardware button that toggles the virtual graffiti area on and off. Ideally, it would be on the side of the device, like the 'back' button on the Sony Clie2. That way, you could pop it up with your thumb to enter a URL, then hide it again when the web page loads, all without changing your grip. Then again, maybe we have too many buttons already.

Actually thats a pretty good idea.
    -Mikedemo
    At the risk of stating the obvious, my post was made with tongue firmly in cheek.
    I feel that the HE330 soft graffiti area is the ONLY way to go! I want more spreadsheet cells on my screen. HandEra has the right idea for Palm. Games are for GameBoys. However, the virtual graffiti concept will give game developers more real estate to use as well as business developers.
    <><
    I will say this. I had my first experience with the Clie at CompUSA over the weekend. All I can say is DAMN!

That thing was bad to the bone. Chrome, thin, sleek and the screen...oh my god. The doubled-resolution on it makes a HUGE difference! If only Handspring would do something similar but try to keep the springboard...

sigh...