Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Originally posted by gbgood
    Memplug is ok, but still has issues and at best it's slow. I have way too many apps, but with Launcher III and memplug, it often takes 15 secs to load a tab of apps. 15 SECONDS!

How much time does it take to load an application in average? What kind of MemPlug you have? What version of updater are you using?

Thanx

Al
    i have 16mb flash modual inside my springboard slot ant before i used afterburner it would take 6-7 seconds for my launcher to load but with afterburner it takes 3.49 to load.
    it must be terrible to wait 15 seconds everytime you return to the launcher, my advise is for you to get afterburner and speed "launcher" up as fast as possible. i only have a 16mhz prossesor and it still works but i wish i had a platinum with 33mhz or even better...66mhz

thanks,
    robert
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by robert sibell:
    i also would love 16mb of on board ram. but this would nearly raise the price up aroung $80 dollars,

Upon what are you basing this? If it's the price of the Flash module, keep in mind that the Flash module doesn't use the same kind of memory as the RAM in the Visors.

and then the backup modual would not work,

I doubt if they couldn't make a new backup module, though, if they were so inclined.

it would take longer to sync,

This is true, but how many times do you sync per day? Once or twice is average for me, and it's usually while I'm doing something else on my computer (9 times out of 10 checking email and/or newsgroups).

and the viosor would need to be larger unless they invented a smaller memory chip.

I'm sure there are 16MB chips not much bigger (if at all) than the 8MBs they use. After all, if there weren't, there couldn't be aftermarket 16MB upgrades.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4.    #144  
    Sounds encouraging, but I think the real test will come in the August numbers after 1) Word-of-mouth from these new 505 owners spread positively or negatively, 2) 710C sales register, 3) The 610 is out, and 4) the Visor Twist/Snap is announced.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    I was in the Kennesaw Best Buy yesterday to see if they had the 710 in stock. Nope. No Sony's, no iPaq's and when I asked about the M505 the BB Associate said, "You do not want one of those. Every single one we have sold has been returned. It has a really bad screen."

I seriously doubt that "all" of them have been returned, but this cannot be good news for Palm, Inc. When a store like BestBuy has associates telling consumers not to buy their latest and greatest, that spells trouble. I made the comment that I already owned a Prism and they both said "You would definately hate the M505. The Prism screen is much better than the Palm". To each his own. I kind of liked the screen on the M505. After all the negative things I heard before I saw it, I expected it to be horrible and it was not. I wonder if the BB Associates had even bothered to look at the M505 before passing judgment?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    hmm. I think you just ran into a Visor lover associate, who didn't want to supprot palm
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  7.    #147  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    I wonder if the BB Associates had even bothered to look at the M505 before passing judgment?
    The lighting conditions in the Atlanta BB's I've been to make the 505 look much worse than it does during real use. But even in real use, you have to make a conciuos decsion to find good things to like about the display. People that are expecting to be blown away should consider the CLIE 710/610. If practical color is sufficient, the 505 is OK.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by GSR13
    . . . I seriously doubt that "all" of them have been returned, but this cannot be good news for Palm, Inc. When a store like BestBuy has associates telling consumers not to buy their latest and greatest, that spells trouble. I made the comment that I already owned a Prism and they both said "You would definately hate the M505. The Prism screen is much better than the Palm". To each his own. I kind of liked the screen on the M505. After all the negative things I heard before I saw it, I expected it to be horrible and it was not. I wonder if the BB Associates had even bothered to look at the M505 before passing judgment?
    That sale rep should not have decided for whether you would like the M505 or not but I think that there may be some truth to what he said. The first batch of M505 were horrible. Entirely too dim and there was horrible contrast. It did look great outside but overall performance was bad regarding the display. I had it for a week and showed it to most of my other Palm users at work and they were shocked at the pityfull display. If you never had a color pda then Ican see somebody being happy with it, but if you ere to compare it to other diplays you would definately take issue with it. And how does palm remedy this problem. They just put out a patch for the fontlight that just allows it to remember its state (On or Off) when the device is shut down? C'mon give them a way to brighten it .

In all Palm did drop the ball. M505 should have been out last year.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Actually, both BestBuy associates were shocked when I told them some of the "newer" M505's are rumored to look better than earlier releases. You would think they would at least have some knowledge about the subject before passing a death sentence. I am sure she is purely basing her opinions on the amount of returns they have gotten. I wonder how many of those users would have kept the 505 if the Clie had came out a month later, after the Return/Exchange period had expired.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    by toby
    Upon what are you basing this? If it's the price of the Flash module, keep in mind that the Flash module doesn't use the
    well the visor and visor delux are exacly the same except for the memory and casing.and the price difference is $50 dollars after the rebate. so the extral price must be for the moemory cost.
    I'm sure there are 16MB chips not much bigger (if at all) than the 8MBs they use. After all, if there weren't, there couldn't be
    i think i remember somewhere on visorcentral that the os would need to be changed to be able to "see" the more memory, although i could be wrong.

thanks,
    robert

this is one of my first time using the "qoute" option so im not sure how it will look
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by robert sibell:
    well the visor and visor delux are exacly the same except for the memory and casing.and the price difference is $50 dollars after the rebate. so the extral price must be for the moemory cost.

Not necessarily. They might just be pricing the lower end version with a lower profit margin. The only thing that I could see inflating DRAM prices that high would be if there aren't many people producing chips that small anymore. Considering that RAM is probably going into all sorts of embedded systems these days, I don't see that being likely, though.

i think i remember somewhere on visorcentral that the os would need to be changed to be able to "see" the more memory, although i could be wrong.

Actually, it has more to do with the processor than anything. The current processors on the Visors and Deluxes can only handle 8MB internally. The Platinums, Prisms, and Edges can handle 16MB (and there are at least two places offering upgrades). The point I was addressing, though, is that it isn't a matter of physical size.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Did everyone notice the price drop on the Prism? Hmmm . . . I'm looking for a release of a color Edge in a month.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    Originally posted by Burns
    Did everyone notice the price drop on the Prism? Hmmm . . . I'm looking for a release of a color Edge in a month.

- Burns
    I think its more a response to the new line of Clies to come out. This is smart move on Handsprings part to keep up sales. The 710c definatly is better than a Prism and is priced accordingly at $499. Its the Clie 610c/v($399) and the 320s($199) that Visor Prism(now $399) and Edge($399) respectively needs to watch out for.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

I think its more a response to the new line of Clies to come out. This is smart move on Handsprings part to keep up sales. The 710c definatly is better than a Prism and is priced accordingly at $499. Its the Clie 610c/v($399) and the 320s($199) that Visor Prism(now $399) and Edge($399) respectively needs to watch out for.
    I agree completely. Price drops may indicate new products are on the horizon, but they usually indicate competition. Look what Palm did with the IIIC when the Prism came out. They dropped the price and did not release the M505 until several months later.
    Well the 610 and the 320 are not out until August/September, so Handspring has some time and could on the day of their release drop their price a little more. Like maybe $349 for a Visor Prism/Edge would be amazing, $299 would be incredible.
    -Mikedemo
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678