Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    No HandSpring announcement!? CNN:

"Applications are what are going to define [the handheld] market," said Handspring spokesman Brian Jaquet. "People are looking for functionality and vendors will be jockeying for positions."

In that vein, although Handspring is not planning to announce any new products at the show, the company will be showing off applications for the company's recently released devices, with a focus on corporate applications."

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industr...idg/index.html
    <><
    Originally posted by LanMan
    People are referring the the HandEra screen as having 240 x 240 resolution when it is actually a 240 x 320 QVGA high resolution screen. Let's not forget a key feature of the HE330 - the virtual graffti area.
    I'm fully aware of Handera's resolution specs, and the hoops needed to jump through to get them
    HS NEEDS to introduce that in their future products!
    but not to push Handera's resolution resolutions. How often/long do you seriously think people are going to turn off the graffiti area? Without it, you can't go back to the applications screen (without third party apps), etc. You're only left with the hard buttons to navigate. So effectively, it does have 240x240 resolution.

I might add that having a soft graffiti area hasn't put HandEra ahead, so obviously soft graffiti is not a necessity.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    [B]
    I'm fully aware of Handera's resolution specs, and the hoops needed to jump through to get them

but not to push Handera's resolution resolutions. How often/long do you seriously think people are going to turn off the graffiti area? Without it, you can't go back to the applications screen (without third party apps), etc. You're only left with the hard buttons to navigate. So effectively, it does have 240x240 resolution.

I might add that having a soft graffiti area hasn't put HandEra ahead, so obviously soft graffiti is not a necessity.
    Good point. Soft graffiti area could potentially be more of a hassle than an improvement. Turn area on, turn area off and so on, and so on.

Unless this Virtual Graffiti area is very intuitive, we may be better off with a permanent area or just writing anywhere on display .
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson:

I'm not so sure since...

Without it, you can't go back to the applications screen (without third party apps), etc.

You might want to look at the Handera a little more closely. If you look at a screen with the grafitti area minimized, you'll still see a small row at the bottom. It contains everything you need to get back to the applications screen. See attached graphic (albeit in landscape mode).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #65  
    [B]No HandSpring announcement!? CNN:
    They're bluffing!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    I just called HS support and asked them if there was 'a color device' in the works for the near future.

She first corrected me, and told me the 'color edge' would be out before years' end, that they didn't have any release date info, but they suspected within the next few months.

Now, I like this for one very big reason:

When I called about the Edge, up until the weekend before its release, they knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it. Nada. This gets me a little psyched that they actually are aware of the product, and with a little luck it might be announced soon (tuesday?).

Of course, HS may have seen all the speculation out on the net and made sure its operators were prepared for the onslaught of questions with a carefully worded ambiguous statement...

I guess we will know tomorrow!
    Of course, why would VC staff fly all the way to NY unless HS had something up their sleeve? I agree, HS must be bluffing, and VC suspiously is mute. I'll raise ya, twenty.
    <><
    Of course, why would VC staff fly all the way to NY unless HS had something up their sleeve? I agree, HS must be bluffing, and VC suspiously is mute. I'll raise ya, twenty.
    You make a good point. I hope so!
    HS had better get off their laurels and annouce something at TechXNY. Others aren't waiting!

Palminfocenter:

Palm's CEO Carl Yankowski is giving the opening keynote address Tuesday morning on "Handheld Computing: Grass Roots to Corporate Standard". He is expected to talk about some new company partnerships but is rumored to be using the opportunity to unveil Palm's new mid-range model, possibly called the m300. Palm will have a full pavilion.

TechXNY might also be the venue for several other new handheld announcements. Sony is expected to announce its new low-end PEG-S320 and the mid-range N610C/V. Sony's description for their booth says, "It all begins with a new line of Clie handhelds that feature higher resolution and a variety of cool applications."

PDABuzz:

PDABuzz.com will be on hand to ferret out as many interesting items as possible and since we have received emails and rumors of no less than 5 possible new PDAs being unveiled, it should be a very interesting few days. (We've heard that possible announcements could come from Toshiba, Palm, Handspring, Hewlett Packard, Sony, and Casio.)

Brighthand:

We'll see at least a couple exciting new PDAs. I can't say much about them at this time, but one new device will surprise quite a few people as it takes the Palm versus Pocket PC argument in an entirely new direction.

And later that day I'll meet with Toshiba to take a private look at its upcoming Bluetooth-enabled handheld. (Sorry, that's all I'll be able to say about it for awhile.)
    Last edited by LanMan; 06/25/2001 at 03:18 PM.
    <><
    SO Handspring is going to all the way to New York to show off other people's software? Doesn't maek any sense to me. Why would they be a Platinum member at the show for naught? I expeect big announcements. If there are none, me and the other HS fans ont his board will be very disappointed.
  11.    #71  
    Let me repeat again what I said in my last post....

THEY'RE BLUFFING!!!!
    Of course, why would VC staff fly all the way to NY unless HS had something up their sleeve?
    Ummm, free travel?
    To put it simple. Tomorrow is D-Day for Handspring. They need to come correct and wow the crowds like they did last year . As for Palm . . . they were unexciting last year and I expect them to be the same this year.
    -Mikedemo
  14.    #74  
    well, trust me, they are bluffing. While I'm startign to have doubts about the next visor, I still stonrgly belive, it will come out tommrow! (or thursday!). They aren't just showing off software too.. they have some accesories that might be cool for some demographics of people..........
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Toby
    You might want to look at the Handera a little more closely...
    I had forgotten the navigation tools on the bottom. That still leaves input to the hard buttons, which only works if the app in question remaps them (a habit I, personally, find annoying). Of course, switching between the two modes isn't all that difficult (just press the appropriate section on the graffiti area - somewhat similar to adjusting the contrast on a visor).

Either way, soft graffiti could hardly be considered a necessity.

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the link (again!), Toby.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 06/25/2001 at 05:19 PM.
    -Joshua
    http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/clie/peg_n610c_index.htm

The 610C is official - basically the 710 minus the MP3 playback and OS4 preinstalled (65K colors) for $400.

The 505 is toast. Man I hope the new visor appears tomorrow, or I will probably be tempted...
    Originally posted by patwoods
    The 505 is toast
    You almost have to feel sorry for Palm. The m505 would've been huge if they would've been shipping at announcment. Now it's too little, too late.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by patwoods
    http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/clie/peg_n610c_index.htm

The 610C is official - basically the 710 minus the MP3 playback and OS4 preinstalled (65K colors) for $400.

The 505 is toast. Man I hope the new visor appears tomorrow, or I will probably be tempted...

Wow the 610($399) has 16bit color and quadruple the res of a Palm M505($449). The 610 is no brainer. As for me paying $499 is not bad for my 710. Only 100 bucks for an mp3 player. Sony is gonna romp on Palm.

Hehe and my 710has 4mb flash Rom . How much you wanna bet on the day the 610 is released the Palm OS 4 flash update will be out for my 710

-I smell the MemorySticks Stock rising-
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/25/2001 at 09:32 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    Why is the this new Visor not coming with Palm OS 4.0?
    -Mikedemo
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast