Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    Can you say Beta vs VHS?
    Betamax didn't fail because people weren't making movies for it. It failed because it was late in the game, and no one else was making the same hardware. Developers aren't going to decide with resolution succeeds. Hardware manufacturers are, and the next one with a high res color device due out (according to rumors) is handspring. If handspring has a color device coming out, and if that color device is going to have a resolution higher than 160x160, they will be as close to the deciding factor as it gets. The only one with more pull (with regard to developer efforts) would be Palm, and we all know they play a catch-up game.

I hope HS goes with Handera's implementation, if only because it's such an ugly device that it could use a couple of big brothers to kick the bullies in the nuts.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    well. .sinceit's already offtopic, I'll add my say..
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

I hope HS goes with Handera's implementation, if only because it's such an ugly device that it could use a couple of big brothers to kick the bullies in the nuts.
    ****!(Josh. .whatever) HOW CAN YOU EVER SAY THAT!?!?!?! evne though tis' metaphrocal, guys NEVER kick other guys in the nuts.. it makes me cringe just to see it happen to other people. You dakota people should no better! omg.. I can't belive yo ujsut said that.. shame.. shame...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff

Betamax didn't fail because people weren't making movies for it. It failed because it was late in the game, and no one else was making the same hardware. Developers aren't going to decide with resolution succeeds. Hardware manufacturers are, and the next one with a high res color device due out (according to rumors) is handspring. If handspring has a color device coming out, and if that color device is going to have a resolution higher than 160x160, they will be as close to the deciding factor as it gets. The only one with more pull (with regard to developer efforts) would be Palm, and we all know they play a catch-up game.
    Hi ****/Josh

The single manufacturer without enough clout to drive the rest of the industry was exactly my point. Thanks for agreeing.

I personally hope that Sony wins 'cause while I like the soft graffiti area, I think the resolution is really whacked for game playing. Obviously HandEra doesn't care because they are aiming it at the business market.

You know, it may actually be the other way around. HandEra may be selling it to the business market, because they know that it isn't suitable for a general purpose device.
    It did it again. What's with this thread? Maybe I shouldn't post while sleep deprived.
    Functionality aside, I think HS would be smart to implement HandEra's version. Their implementation determines who their big competitor is. If they put out a 320x320, they'll have to compete directly with a company that has money to burn. If, however, they put out a device with HandEra's ideas, developers will be much more likely to embrace 240x240 (360 if they soften up graffiti), which means HS's only competitor is a company that has barely scratched the market. They are in a golden situation where they decide the market and they decide their competitor.

The biggest thing to making 240x240 work is courting the developer community, something HS has proven good at.
    -Joshua
    The biggest thing is courting the developer community, something HS has proven good at.
    Oh, is that the reason for the huge number of 16-bit enabled apps? About...a dozen? Most of which weren't even released until or right before Palm's m505?
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by miradu2000 ****!(Josh. .whatever) HOW CAN YOU EVER SAY THAT!?!?!?! evne though tis' metaphrocal, guys NEVER kick other guys in the nuts.. it makes me cringe just to see it happen to other people. You dakota people should no better! omg.. I can't belive yo ujsut said that.. shame.. shame...
    There are only 2 exceptions to the "nut-kicking" rule:
    • You're a big brother, and it's a bully
    • You are a member of VC, and the person in question refuses to use the spell-checker

You want to take a look at your post again, or should I go buy a pair of sh!t kickers?
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    Oh, is that the reason for the huge number of 16-bit enabled apps? About...a dozen? Most of which weren't even released until or right before Palm's m505?
    You ever tried crow? Not that bad, actually. Rather tough, but it tastes kinda like chicken.

I was thinking about their astounding success with the original Pilots and PalmPilots. Their track record has slipped a bit at their new company. Too hyped up trying to push springboard, possibly.
    -Joshua
    Another reason 16-bit color apps have been slow in coming may be due to the very small % of the market with a color device, color's ability to bloat apps (not a good idea when you only have a couple of MBs to work with), and its limited functionality given the OS and hardware constraints of the devices in question.
    -Joshua
    I'd just like to point out that the reason beta failed as a home format was that JVC (owners of the VHS format) would license thier technology to anybody, whereas Sony with Beta wasn't so open. In addition, the licensing fees for VHS were less than 1/2 the Beta fees. Add to that the fact that Beta machines just cost more to produce and it's pretty obvious who was going to win the format wars.

Not that sony hasn't had it's share of market dominance. 3.5" floppy disks anyone?
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    Betamax didn't fail because people weren't making movies for it.
    That's certainly not the only reason, but once it was looking bad, the fact that people stopped making movies for it certainly didn't help.

It failed because it was late in the game, and no one else was making the same hardware.
    The latter is certainly true, but the former demonstrates either an ignorance of history, or a new propensity for mind-altering substances.

Try this.

Developers aren't going to decide with resolution succeeds. Hardware manufacturers are, and the next one with a high res color device due out (according to rumors) is handspring.
    Ultimately, consumers decide who succeeds.

Sorry if any of that sounds bitchy. I need coffee.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Anyway... back to the thread topic please

Apparently the device name is now the 'twist' one instead of the 'snap', maybe two devices to unveil?

I can hardly wait.
    Originally posted by Black_Dragon
    I'd just like to point out that the reason beta failed as a home format was that JVC (owners of the VHS format) would license thier technology to anybody, whereas Sony with Beta wasn't so open. [...]
    This really isn't true either. See the link in my reply to Josh.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by patwoods
    Anyway... back to the thread topic please

Apparently the device name is now the 'twist' one instead of the 'snap', maybe two devices to unveil?

I can hardly wait.
    Both snap and twist were rumored products a while back (since visortwist.com and visorsnap.com were both registered to Handspring at the same time as visoredge.com), so I'm sure that snap and twist will both make an appearance at some time.
    patwoods, where did you hear that the Twist is releasing instead of or in addtion to the Snap? Of course this is all speculation, which based on a source which has yet to be revealed.
    <><
    Originally posted by Toby

Both snap and twist were rumored products a while back (since visortwist.com and visorsnap.com were both registered to Handspring at the same time as visoredge.com), so I'm sure that snap and twist will both make an appearance at some time.
    Or maybe one or the other. I can't see Handspring calling a unit the Visor Snap. It just doesn't make any sense. I can see some kind of add-on given that name though.
    I believe it was on palminfocenter.com, the site that had the original story. They updated to reflect the twist name recently...

I hope someone leaks something this afternoon!
    The latter is certainly true, but the former demonstrates either an ignorance of history, or a new propensity for mind-altering substances.

Try this.
    Boy, imagine a world where information isn't taken for granted. Nevermind. Thanks for the link, Toby.
    -Joshua
    Ultimately, consumers decide who succeeds.
    Yes and no. Consumers can't buy a product that doesn't exist. Consumers decide what works, but are heavily influenced by developers, precedence, etc. In this case, should HS take HandEra's approach, developers are going to try and predict consumer choice. That, more than likely, means rapid support for 240x240 (comparatively vs. 320x320). Those two factors will influence consumer support.

Sorry if any of that sounds bitchy. I need coffee.
    Don't worry about it. It's all good.
    -Joshua
    People are referring the the HandEra screen as having 240 x 240 resolution when it is actually a 240 x 320 QVGA high resolution screen. Let's not forget a key feature of the HE330 - the virtual graffti area. HS NEEDS to introduce that in their future products!
    <><
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast