1.    #1  
    OK maybe I should zero in on the Advantage since the Shift is not really a PDA but rather a laptop. But they look the same and both come from HTC so I am going to put them together.

For those people who are not sure how big they are, take a look at the picture here,
    http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/03/and-the-secret.html
    They look almost the same so you really have to see them together to get a sense as how big they are. The gist is that the Advantage is like a Nokia n810 Tablet but twice as tall (height) and cost about $800. The Shift has a 7" screen so it's basically like a EEE PC with a more compact keyboard. Price is probably close to 1000-1200.

Here is the problem, they both get destroyed by the Asus EEE PC. We are not talking about a 30%-50% price difference here, we are talking about more than the double the cost of the EEE PC, why would anyone bother with these two over-grown PocketPC?

Lets go see the bigger Shift first. Compare to the 7" EEE PC, it has the same screen size, and resolution; smaller keyboard; an A110 CPU thats slower and likely last a hair bit longer; has a dog of a OS that is Vista, dualboot WinMobile but neither is as productive as XP; weights 20% less than the EEE; has bluetooth and 3G but can be easily fixed on the EEE PC with a $10 and a $100 dollar USB module.

But none of these spec is important. Let's face it, the price is. You can either buy a Shift or similar spec UMPC for 1000+ or a 7" EEE PC for $400 and a 9" EE for $500 coming next month. Why would anyone with a sane brain buy the Shift? That's precisely the reason Palm killed Foelo. Palm didn't think the Feolo would be competitive on the market, even at $500.

Why indeed, I will tell you why, both the Shift and the Advantage were announced more than one year ago. And one year ago, in the good old pre-EEE times, it made sense for these devices at the price and spec they commanded. I can not tell you how many times I saw some Microsoft suits holding the Advantage or the Shift and selling it as the devices of tomorrow. There is no doubt to me that HTC created these two gadgets as propadana tools for the Microsoft WinMo "platform". I doubt HTC's sincerity in bringing these two UMPC to the market, if ever. Otherwise why announced something one year ago and only start selling them now? HTC is not as dumb as HP's PDA division that's for sure.

Now go back to the Advantage. Even though its only 5", its very hard for me not to compare it to the EEE PC. At this size, its just too big to put it in a jacket pocket or a Jeans pocket anyway. If you need a separated (manpurse) bag to carry it, you might as well compare it to the EEE instead of the Nokia n810. Again, the problem is that its too slow, too expensive compare to the EEE and too expensive compare to the n810. Once the WiMax version of the n810 is out, I can't think of many programs that can run on the winMo platform but not on the Linux platform. And, more importantly, why release the two UMPC so late, when its irrelevent?

So I ask in the forum, anyone would pick up the Shift over the EEEPC or the Advantage over the n810 and why?
    Last edited by whatever7; 03/19/2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Actually in real life the Advantage is not that big, and could fit into a generous coat pocket. Its about the same size as those Filofaxes people were carrying around in the 90's. Its being sold by T-Mobile in Europe as the T-Mobile Ameo, and a successor has been announced, so it cant be doing that badly, else it would have been cancelled by now. In UK phones are heavily subsidised, so its not that expensive either, depending on the price plan, but certainly cheaper than an Eeepc.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...ile/ameo/spec/

Of course what it has over the Eeepc is a built-in HSDPA modem, 16 GB of storage and a GPS module, but mainly that its a WM device designed for mobility and PIM use.

There is no doubt that the Shift is a prestige product by HTC, but it has nothing to do with MS. HTC is a pretty independent company.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    The Advantage is definitely too big in the same way that the HTC Universal was too big. Its too tall and there are very few pockets can carry it, unlike the long and narrow gadgets like the PSP or the n810. Maybe you get the type of Jackets that have lower inside pockets, those are big enough.

Being sold for 800 in US websites is not too expensive. The n810 is about 380 and you can get the 8gb EPC for 499 on newegg. 16gb memory shouldn't be that expensive the 16gb iPhone is not that expensive.
  4.    #4  
    btw I couldn't find out how much it cost on T-mobile UK, that website crashed my iPhone's browser LOL.
    I don't get the Shift either because of its price compared to what it provides. The Advantage, on the other hand, is about the same size-class as the Nokia (N810: 5.0 x 2.83 x 0.55 inches, Advantage: 5.3x3.9x0.6 in.) and has continuous connection to the internet without reliance on hot spots. I wish my Eee PC had a cell-based wireless radio inside it (or at least some bluetooth!) - I'd happily pay another $150 just to have it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I don't get the Shift either because of its price compared to what it provides. The Advantage, on the other hand, is about the same size-class as the Nokia (N810: 5.0 x 2.83 x 0.55 inches, Advantage: 5.3x3.9x0.6 in.) and has continuous connection to the internet without reliance on hot spots. I wish my Eee PC had a cell-based wireless radio inside it (or at least some bluetooth!) - I'd happily pay another $150 just to have it.
    You can get it....for about $250 of hardware mod. Look for a jkkmobile video about installing a HSDPA module inside the EEE PC. Since in the US there is no metered prepaid data service, it's cheaper to use bluetooth to tether to your phone.
    No-one said the HTC Advantage is a killer device, but it does cover a niche that wants a large connected tablet device with long battery life. HTC is always saying how they dont believe there is one device for everyone. This is just an example of them serving a niche.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Since in the US there is no metered prepaid data service, it's cheaper to use bluetooth to tether to your phone.
    That's what I do - which is an annoyance since I need to have a dongle hanging out the side of my Eee PC (even the tiny one I have still catches on stuff), I lose a USB port, and I have to choose between using my phone as a phone or as a modem.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's what I do - which is an annoyance since I need to have a dongle hanging out the side of my Eee PC (even the tiny one I have still catches on stuff), I lose a USB port, and I have to choose between using my phone as a phone or as a modem.
    Yeah that's biggest annoyance for my potential EEE purchase as well. I can't find any EEE class laptop that has bluetooth build in, not even the vaporware HP 2133. I know I can always go up to the Fujitsu 1610 or a 7" Kohjinsha but those "real laptops" are too expensive and feel way more fragile than the EEE PC!

I don't buy the phone argument though. If you have an Advantage, are you really going to open a second AT&T account and pay 60 or whatever a month just so your PDA can get online?
    I don't buy the phone argument though. If you have an Advantage, are you really going to open a second AT&T account and pay 60 or whatever a month just so your PDA can get online?
    I'm paying 5 phone bills with 3 different networks at the moment. For some people te answer would obviously be yes.

If you make $200 per hour, why would $60 per month for a connected PDA bother you?

Surur
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I'm paying 5 phone bills with 3 different networks at the moment. For some people te answer would obviously be yes.

If you make $200 per hour, why would $60 per month for a connected PDA bother you?

Surur
    I can't tell whether you are showing it of or not, but knowing you probably not.

Let's hope there is big enough multiple-cellphone-account market in the U.S. to support the Advantage.
    I can't tell whether you are showing it of or not, but knowing you probably not.

Let's hope there is big enough multiple-cellphone-account market in the U.S. to support the Advantage.

I am not talking about myself I dont have an Advantage (but I do have 5 cellphone bills )

This expensive device is obviously aimed at the business set, and there are enough people earning that much (even just good computer consultants) to make a market for it. And it must have been a viable market, because they made a successor.

Surur

(Edit:I just counted- its actually 4 networks. I have a HTC Kaiser on T-Mobile, a HP 6915 on Vodafone, a LG Viewty on O2, a HTC Vox on Orange and a Razr on Vodafone)
    Last edited by surur; 03/21/2008 at 04:16 AM.
    Using HSDPA, I can surf and talk at the same time on a phone, but I can't use the phone as a tethered modem and talk at the same time...at least on any of the phones I've tried so far (Q9h, Blackjack 2, Tilt). In any case, I would gladly pay the $60/mo for a factory-installed, built-in, 3G capability in my Eee PC.