1.    #1  
    I've been hoping and calling for Palm to remember the virtues of combining the flipphone format with the Palm PDAphone... (e.g. Samsung i500, Kyocera 7135, HTC 3125, etc). Well Palm's too slow again... Apparently Apple has applied for a patent for technologies for a unique flip version of the iPhone:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/17/a...ne-flip-phone/

http://www.intoiphone.com/

What is particularly innovative is that the touch sensitivity portion is located in the flip-down portion of the flipphone, and is DUAL-sided and TRANSPARENT. This means that when the flip is closed, you can still see the display inside and interact with it using one side of the touch panel, and when you open it up, you use the other side of the touch panel. Apple certainly is thinking out of the box... Cool...

At very least, this should get other companies thinking about the combination of flipphone and PDAphone again, just as the iPhone started a whole new rebirth of touchscreen phones... Just maybe Palm will see fit to make something other than a thick QWERTY phone... then again, probably not... Palm doesn't seem interested in regaining its original lead in touch-sensitive smart devices... even though that's its heritage... (sigh)
    Never cease to be amazed. I hate flipphones. But wait, Apple does one and all of a sudden that's "thinking outside the box?"

I don't want one.

Palm has it right with the Centro. Great form factor (get this "thin" garbage out of here). I'm always reaching for that to talk on instead of the iphone.

Innovating would be apple borrowing from palm and figuring out how to get that button at the bottom to be a navigator. Or copy and paste. Or getting any number of basic functions on it.

If palm comes out with an EVDO, iphone screen like device, i'm basically ditching the iphone. Because otherwise, palm is already much better.

This comes from an owner of both the Centro and iphone (although these days its getting used as an ipod moreso than a phone)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Never cease to be amazed. I hate flipphones. But wait, Apple does one and all of a sudden that's "thinking outside the box?"
    ...I don't want one...
    Palm has it right with the Centro. Great form factor (get this "thin" garbage out of here). If palm comes out with an EVDO, iphone screen like device, i'm basically ditching the iphone.
    Need I say the obvious... that there IS no one "right"...
    Ok, fine, you hate flipphones and you hate thin... guess what, you're in the minority, by far... but that's okay with me, is it okay with you that the majority likes flipphones and thin ?

The "thinking out of the box" I was refering to was the idea of a TRANSPARENT, DUAL-sided TOUCH-sensitive flip part of the phone. I'd say that's clearly innovative... we'll see if the USPTO agrees. It solve several problems, like needing dual (external and internal) displays (common on most flipphones) -- the height of stupidity of which is exemplified by the LG Voyager, which has two *large* displays, one touch sensitive (external) and one not (internal) -- a very schizo device, if you've ever played with one, and fat/thick in part because of dual displays. (I know you don't care that a device is fat...)

And yeah, even you implicited admit that there is no one right, when you first say that Palm got it right with the Centro, but then imply that you wish that Palm would make an EVDO iPhone-like device. I wish Palm would also... I wish Palm would make something, anything other than a Treo -- not everyone wants a QWERTY device (I realize this is the wrong site/forum to say that to...), but its kinda obvious if one takes an objective look at the market...
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Let's just say...Palm's next Treo was a flip. Or next centro. Or next anything was a flip or even if a VERSION of it was a flip, they would get toasted alive on this forum. You know this to be true. Even if its not deserved.

This is apple though and anything they do right now seems golden. Thin is in. If apple came out with a brick..bricks would be in. LOL

Apple isn't nearly perfect, but wow, they have their fans. Safari blows for me as a windows browser. Hate their laptops too. This flip might have a market though..i see enough of them out there.

What i was saying about the centro is that this phone is pretty good for me for everyday use. It's smaller than the iphone, weighs less, feels better to talk on, does a lot more. I kept the iphone for its ipod functions mostly even though it's still activated. The browser and screen make it worthwhile. I hardly talk on it though.

Marry these two devices somehow..lol I can live without the qwerty if i get the screen. I like the form factor of the centro better though. I'd like the Centro plastic body with an iphone screen on top of it and navigator button on the bottom (kinda where the home button is now on the iphone). Palm is much cheaper though (vs apple being greedy), evdo, and so I'd rather see them do something to that effect. I'm thinking the screen doesn't need to be flush with the sides like the iphone but kept as it is now..much wider tho.

It will be interesting to see what Palm comes up with. Not only the OS but the device as well. It wouldn't take much to keep me out of the apple camp for good.

Bottom line is that the Centro is still IMO way ahead of the iphone RIGHT NOW and probably by far the best device Sprint has to offer. Sometimes a modern OS isn't necessarily better. Palm got it right years ago and still should rightfully look down at Apple's pretty but not too functional OS. But apple is working on updates, so is WM and others. So is Palm. I'm confident we'll see some nice phones that start to get it all right in the next few years.
  6.    #6  
    Let's just say...Palm's next Treo was a flip. Or next centro. Or next anything was a flip or even if a VERSION of it was a flip, they would get toasted alive on this forum. You know this to be true. Even if its not deserved.
    Ok... maybe... There are enough diehard Palm fans on this forum that I would guess some contingent here would praise a Palm flipphone... they praised the Foleo too... and the same of course goes for Apple... times 100X... its fans as you say, would praise an iBrick...

But nevertheless what you are saying in part is this is a Treo forum... which isn't a flipphone format device... so yes you would be right that many wouldn't like a Palm flip (at least on paper). But to the extent that this forum cares about Palm and its business health... this forum *should* support whatever Palm does that would strengthen its position in the market, *even* if a particular product doesn't meet the average Treo user's preferences -- there is a whole lot of NON-Treo-liking potential customers out there that have a wide variety of requirements and preferences. So if it becomes apparent that Palm would do well to make a Palm flip, this forum shouldn't bash it just because it is not like a Treo (and my guess is that the majority here wouldn't bash it solely because it is a flip and not Treo-like, other reasons, yes...)
    Apple isn't nearly perfect, but wow, they have their fans. Safari blows for me as a windows browser. Hate their laptops too. This flip might have a market though..i see enough of them out there.
    Go into a store like Walmart... 100% (all) of the phones they offer are flips. Observe phones used in TV shows and movies... 80-90% are flips (but not Brenda Lee who uses a Dash ).
    As far as Safari... surely you don't mean to imply that you prefer Blazer to Safari (as long as it has 3G/EVDO), do you ?
    And Apple laptops are doing *very* well on the market... but that's okay... its great to have choices... which is why I want to have more choices from Palm...
    ...Marry these two devices somehow..lol I can live without the qwerty if i get the screen.
    I'm with you on that... Palm really should have (about a year ago), offered an iPhone-like device. I really still don't understand why they didn't and haven't as it would be so easy for them to... here you have LG, Samsung, etc all scrambling to program their own proprietary touch-based OS, and Palm has had a great one that *could* have been the basis for a great touch-only device... Indeed, if Palm had offered an iPhone-like device, I almost certainly would have bought it instead of this HTC Touch, which, though its decent-enough hardware, is dogged by the inherent problems of WM/PPC.
    Bottom line is that the Centro is still IMO way ahead of the iphone RIGHT NOW and probably by far the best device Sprint has to offer.
    Well obviously the Centro is the best Sprint device for the Treo customer... but to say it is the best Sprint device period ? I think that is my whole point... there *is* no such thing... (and on the whole I think I made the right choice in buying the Touch rather than the Centro *for me*), and because there is no "best" device, that is why Palm needs to make a wider variety of devices, including some that Treo users won't necessarily like... (believe me, it really pained me to decide not to buy the Centro, as I've been a diehard daily PalmOS user for the past 12+ years, since their inception...)
    No i meant safari vs firefox vs IE. Iphone rules in the mobile browser wars for now.

I looked at the Touch. I don't think that's the device that would get me to dive into the world of WM. Perhaps the Treo 800 could but even that would look pretty similar to a centro. Still will be tempting.

The various companies are getting closer. It's only a matter of time. I'm not ready to be that harsh yet to any company. If palm's next dream phone (not 800w) is something similar to a centro or treo, then they are in trouble though and i'll be leading the charge. It might be fine to have a version with a qwerty, but i really hope they got a half a brain to be thinking of a nonqwerty screen at least or they are done..
    You know, if Palm did accomplish the device i'm wanting...part of me just knows they wouldn't market it very well.

With the 800w, palm should have a device that businesses and a lot of consumers should love. Will they market it better than BB markets theirs is the question.

For the Centro and palm's next OS, I hope they figure out they need to show what the device can do and not run silly "multitask" commercials again. I tend to blame Sprint a bit too for bad marketing. It's been a bad marketing combo so far..

Get those videos up on your websites. This market needs handholding and new prospective buyers need the cool features explained to them simply on why they're so cool. Apple gets this..

Most of all, Palm has to change the current perception of them in the geek blogs and on places like CNET. If Windows has the "bloated" tag, then palm's is pretty much "old and obsolete" In other words, palm needs to win some fans back..