Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Adobe Flash Lite and Reader LE Licensed by Microsoft

For immediate release
    Adobe Mobile Products to Ship with Windows Mobile Phones
    SAN JOSE, Calif. — March 17, 2008 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq: ADBE) today announced that Microsoft has licensed Adobe® Flash® Lite™ software, Adobe’s award-winning Flash Player runtime specifically designed for mobile devices, to enable web browsing of Flash Player compatible content within the Internet Explorer Mobile browser in future versions of Microsoft Windows Mobile phones. Microsoft has also licensed Adobe Reader® LE software for viewing Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) documents including email attachments and web content. Both Adobe products will be made available to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) worldwide, who license Windows Mobile software
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...8Adobe_MS.html

While iPhone users are petitioning Apple in vain to allow another development platform onto the iPhone, MS has actually joined Nokia in giving WM users not just full Youtube, but also full dailymotion and full Hulu and full etc etc video site for all WM users. This should weaken significantly Apple's push for changing de facto web standards in its favour and increase the entertainment utility of WM devices significantly.

Surur
    Let's hope it's better than FL 2.0 for S60, which is so bad it's not even funny (at least on my E61).
    Flash Lite works better on the Nseries, I think.

Good news Surur!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Flash Lite works better on the Nseries, I think.

Good news Surur!!
    I think it is very good news, because more and more of the websites I read dont even bother with text anymore, and just do video articles. Unboxing stories are good examples, but even when they discuss a new WM browser they tend to use flash video instead of screen shots these days. Even simple tips and tricks are now done in video.

Its part of the natural evolution of the web (text, pictures, now video) but whereas WM phones have largely been excluded before, they will now be full web citizens.

Surur
    I know this was an Adobe press release, but did MS give any indication when this would actually be available on handsets? Microsoft loves to make windows mobile upgrade and software announcements that never actually happen.

What ever happened to the xbox live integration?
    Last edited by mobileman; 03/17/2008 at 09:18 AM.
    If Adobe is, as rumored, tying the flash license to use of their pdf reader, I hope apple holds out for a better deal. I work in pdfs all day, and adobe has turned into giant bloatware, and probably is dying to extend the bloat to phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    If Adobe is, as rumored, tying the flash license to use of their pdf reader, I hope apple holds out for a better deal. I work in pdfs all day, and adobe has turned into giant bloatware, and probably is dying to extend the bloat to phones.
    Just read the same story. I totally agree, I hope Apple stands firm.
    Viewing Flash is now a necessity though. Many sites don't even have a regular HTML version anymore!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree - if it isn't a necessity, it is getting close to one. For me, though, pdfs remains more of a necessity since my job involves lots of pdf emails. The iphone's pdf viewer is excellent, and pdf viewing is well-supported in the sdk, etc. If Adobe is going to force apple to degrade iphone's ability to handle pdfs (and i'm convinced acrobat is a step down from preview) in order to obtain access to mobile flash (and, of course, this is merely an oft-reported rumor, and may not be true), I'd rather that Apple hold off for the moment.

I have this picture in my head of alert boxes popping up every few days reminding me to download the newest mobile acrobat, complete with mobile safari yahoo toolbar :-) Anyone else remember when acrobat was a tiny little self-contained binary?
  10.    #10  
    I agree - if it isn't a necessity, it is getting close to one. For me, though, pdfs remains more of a necessity since my job involves lots of pdf emails. The iphone's pdf viewer is excellent, and pdf viewing is well-supported in the sdk, etc. If Adobe is going to force apple to degrade iphone's ability to handle pdfs (and i'm convinced acrobat is a step down from preview) in order to obtain access to mobile flash (and, of course, this is merely an oft-reported rumor, and may not be true), I'd rather that Apple hold off for the moment.

I have this picture in my head of alert boxes popping up every few days reminding me to download the newest mobile acrobat, complete with mobile safari yahoo toolbar :-) Anyone else remember when acrobat was a tiny little self-contained binary?
    This is WM we are talking about here. Adobe Acrobat LE has been around a while, and I have it on my Kaiser. You can however use any PDF reader you want. Adobe cant force you to use theirs (though its not too bad however, and can handle quite large pdf's).

Surur
    Surur, I was just talking about the rumor that adobe is insisting that in order for Apple to license mobile flash it must also replace the built-in pdf technology with adobe technology.
    I'm so frustrated with the practice of charging fees to use a media client. It's a bad business model. If you want your media format to become widely used it needs a freely available client. Charge for the ability to create the media, but leave the viewers free. The only reason Flash and PDF became so popular on the PC is because there have always been freely available viewers on that platform.

But then companies abuse the position they've gained in having ubiquitous formats injecting their formats into new platforms, but charging for viewers. Why didn't flash ever become popular on mobile devices? Because during critical development years Adobe wanted Palm to pay license fees for every device and Palm refused (which I still believe was the right choice to make). During that time flash continued to evolve, and could have evolved well with the mobile market, but instead we have a case where flash is simply too bulky and resource-heavy to be easily ported to the existing mobile platforms, leading to Adobe now coming up with an entirely new lite flash format that they still want us to pony up money for.

What's the point when most existing flash media won't even run on it? We're just throwing our money away at a greedy money-grubbing corporation at that point.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    It's included on newer N series Nokias though. I also know Flash Lite themes can be used on Sony Ericsson phones. So that might mean SE phones support Flash Lite too.

The end consumer didn't really "pony up" for it on those phones. UNLESS these companies passed on the fees(if they had to pay them) to the price of the phone, but I don't know.

What bothers me about the SDK is that while other manufacturers included stuff out of the box, we'll now have to pay extra for the same stuff on the iPhone. The money we paid for the phone should have been enough to cover some of these apps we now have to pay for!

I think you'll find that most things you want will be available for free or at least very cheap. The barrier to entry is so low (both in terms of simplicity of programming complex applications and simplicity of adding to the itunes store) that it will be easy for the open-source'ers to undercut paid developers for many things.
    It's just me but I'm getting a little disgusted by Apple's restrictions.

I just got through customizing 3 other phones and the freedom was refreshing! Afterall the phone should be mine, not theirs', after I bought and paid for it.

By the end of the month, I'm going to quit using the iPhone until the 3G version comes out.

As long as they let me violate the HIGs for my own use (my phone and my wife's) I'm happy. I prefer to write my own software, anyway. It's like building your own house. But smaller. And geekier.
    I prefer to write my own software, anyway. It's like building your own house. But smaller. And geekier.
    Hehehe...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's just me but I'm getting a little disgusted by Apple's restrictions.

I just got through customizing 3 other phones and the freedom was refreshing! Afterall the phone should be mine, not theirs', after I bought and paid for it.

By the end of the month, I'm going to quit using the iPhone until the 3G version comes out.
    This makes no sense. What does 3G have to do with "Apple restrictions"?
    I meant I'll try out the 3G version. But for now I'm pretty tired of the iPhone and waiting for Apple to decide what they will and won't allow us to use after WE paid them for the phone!!

I develop with Flash and I'm not sold on it for the iPhone. I'm hoping HTML 5 and CSS interactive reduce our dependency on proprietary Adobe-owned interactive content (or MS Silverlight or Apple QT). I also have BIG security and privacy concerns about Flash. See here:

http://phonedifferent.com/2008/03/fl...ugin_your.html
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast