Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to decide between a Treo 700wx and 755. I really like Windows Mobile Software but I have never used Palm OS. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    JDubs, M.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
    I am trying to decide between a Treo 700wx and 755. I really like Windows Mobile Software but I have never used Palm OS. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    The 700wx is nearly 2 years old now. Garnet is nearly 5 years old. Is there not a more modern phone you could buy?

Personally I think you should not settle for either and hold out for the 800w.

Surur
    I had a 700wx. I couldnt wait for an 800... Palm has dropped the ball something fierce... rediculous....

I got an HTC Touch... It makes the treo feel like a dino.....

Double the memory less than half the weight and size.. rock solid blueooth and other featutres...

Granted the soft keyboard takes some getting used to but I am so over the Treo...

Check out sprint users forum see what they say
    The debate over the OS's has been done many, many times. Us the search function. I see it as better capability on Win vs. simplicity, ease of use, and speed of the P-OS. Both have tons of applications available now, and either should do almost anything you need to do.

If there's a particular capability you're looking for, see which, if either, device will offer it. If it's only available on one platform, there's your decision.

Personally, I much prefer the Palm OS. I find Windows kludgy, ugly, and hard to use, with far too many taps, clicks, and menu scrolls to do almost everything. Others find the Palm interface old fashioned and ugly. To some extent, they're right, but I believe in "form follows function" and the Palm OS is just plain simpler to use for common, everyday things.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    With nice browsers like Opera Mobile 9.5 and Netfront 3.5 coming out on WM (and not POS) I think the ball is now firmly in the WM court. There is just a lot more development going on in that platform.

Surur
    I agree. No way I'd get started with a palm-os device at this late date. I seriously doubt palm-os is going to be around in a couple of years. Between WM, iphone, android, etc., and given palm's lack of effort over the last couple of years, i can't see a lot of developers on palmos over the long haul.
    I had both and i prefer the windows over the palm software
    I have used several different models and I came back to Palm OS. It's simply faster than any Windows OS units I have used. I still have my Mogul just in case I decide the latest upgraded ROM with GPS is worth the loss in speed. The speed difference is not extremely huge, but Windows OS is slower than Palm OS, at least in my experience. I do like a lot of the features of my Mogul, but I just don't like watching the hypnotic color circle each time you launch an app or open an email.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Talk about a Hobson's Choice!

If you want something that's drop-dead simple and don't mind that it comes from the Nixon era, then Palm OS is for you.

If you want something endlessly complex, in both good and bad senses, go with Windows Mobile.

(I would agree with Surur and wait for the (hopefully 6.1) 800w).

(I would also throw both into the river and get an iPhone or even an Blackberry, but that's neither here nor there...)
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    To be honest, they can both do just about anything you want them to. There's a huge amount of software available for either platform, and Windows Mobile has the advantage of having Styletap to run PalmOS programs (most of them). It really comes down to personal preference. Go to the local sprint store and fiddle around with a each for a bit and decide which interface you like better.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    you could also go down to the local Verizon store as well!!

(I find it funny that people often tend to think 'hey I want a Treo; my only choice is Sprint).
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Personally, I much prefer the Palm OS. I find Windows kludgy, ugly, and hard to use, with far too many taps, clicks, and menu scrolls to do almost everything.
    I would agree here; my wife just received the XV6800 from Verizon (Win Mob 6) and I have found that to be a terrible annoyance. Even worse is that afterwords it seems like you have to close every single window that opens. Maybe we are just novices and haven't learned the Jedi ways of Windows Mobile, but so far it seems like more effort, IMO.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    I think that it has been about 3 weeks that i moved from palm to wm, and this i did after using the palm os for 10 years. i was very sceptical at first, but since palm hasnt done anything to modernize its software and hardware, i did not have much of a choice.
    and the result.....
    i am enjoying windows mobile after such a short time of usage.
    there's no question that palm os would have been cool, had it kept up with present times.
    so jdubs, get yourself a decent windows mobile device. if you want to wait, then wait until wm 6.1 devices with flash lite 3.0 are out. htc has a lot coming up, sony ericsson also has one such great device announced. the 800w or whatever from palm might also be worth the wait. if you get a windows 6.0 device, there are chances that you will be able to update to 6.1.
    i went away from palm because i wanted them to make palm devices, but this they are not capable of doing at the moment. i am sad about that. very sad. because it would have been so great if the palm os kept on evolving.
    It is evolving, just not at your pace. The Centro is a great little phone. They're working on the next palm OS. The old palm OS, like it or not, still is probably superior to all the modern mobile OS's in certain ways.

But like everything, people get tired of looking at the same thing after awhile. Tweaks here and there are needed and palm failed to keep it looking fresh.

I doubt you needed a new OS. However, you probably wanted something different after a while. That's understandable. It's why i got an iphone..gave me something different (that didn't take long to get old with no 3rd party apps and edge speed). But time after time, i'm always grabbing the centro to take to work or use when i need to get something done. One i can't live with out, the other is just..fun to have.

The 800w however will be in a new league for palms IMO. Speed, latest wm OS, wifi, gps, 3rd party apps, treo ease of use, improved screen & form factor, ...this will probably get me from the centro til palm's next OS..depending of course on what that is..
    @Cardfan:

We cross the river and climb the mountain and, dangit, we want the next great piece of tech. Palm stopped providing that. Someone else stepped in. If Apple stops providing it, someone else will step in just as quick.
    Editor-in-chief, iMore

Apple provided something...different. Not necessarily better. And still in practice, not even something more useful. None of these other "modern" OS's are lightyears ahead of the old palm OS. That's important to keep in mind. Especially apple's.. One is just tired looking after being out for years.

And yes, i want the latest greatest piece of tech too. However i'm using a device (centro) day in and day out that has that old palm OS on it. Seems to me competitors still haven't leaped ahead enough to pull me away from it altogether.
    As I have done in other forums, I am looking for fans of the WM OS... I am deciding between an 800w or a Centro and I would like to hear from fans of the WM OS; oftentimes, all I hear is positive comments about P-OS and nothing about WM
    cardfan, arguable the abacus is still better at some things. Heck, we've got some Win2K servers still chugging around. I don't make them my daily machine, though. Again, I think any time a company stops innovating (the way Apple did in the 90s), everyone suffers, and I won't suffer the suffer-bringers.

For me, once I got the iPhone, I never looked back to Palm OS. I'll check out Nova, for sure, but they'll have to earn back my interest. Colligan will have to show up on stage with the Next Big Thing ready to ship.
    Editor-in-chief, iMore

That's fine that you like the iphone Perhaps in its next update (2.0) it will catch up (or finally pass?) to the old palm OS for features? I'm certain it will. Then you may have a case..
    I just made the switch from POS on a Treo 755p to WM Standard on a Moto q9c. First I should say that while Palm OS has its limitations, I still really like it, its just a little stale and boring lately (when I've used it since 2003, its time for a change.) I've tried the Pro version of WM and its still not useable enough with one hand compared to POS and WM Standard.

I really do like WM Standard though, its working pretty well. I will say this though. One of my old (forgotten) fears about WM happened within the first day... a corrupted registry that lost all my settings, so make sure you have some backup software installed.

I think you'll find pros and cons to both WM and POS, so basically just try both out in the store, and see which you prefer.

For me though, if it was Windows Pro versus POS, I'd choose POS by far (for a phone. If I was only looking for a PDA, some of Windows Pro's limitations aren't so bad to me.) Windows Standard vs Palm OS, while there's some stuff that worked better on POS, I'm definitely liking the non-touchscreen setup quite a bit. (though I really only used the touchscreen for games anyway.)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast