Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
  1. #41  
    I'm pumped about the Linux POS, but let's see if the hardware gets some significant upgrades. Make a i780 esque device Palm (thinness, features, etc) and you'll be doing fine.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
    I am trying to decide between a Treo 700wx and 755. I really like Windows Mobile Software but I have never used Palm OS. Any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    Better the devil you know.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm pumped about the Linux POS.
    How can you be "pumped" for something we know nothing about?
  4. BenJoeM's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #44  
    I have been a Palm OS user since the Palm III days. I just turned off my 755p to give a 700wx a try. I am committed to doing a full two week test to see if I like it. So for the Push Exchange email is amazing (never could get chatter to work right.) but everything is is a little slow for me to adapt too. If I like it I may get the new 800w when it comes out. Not sure yet.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  5. slabay's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #45  
    I desperately WANT to love my Mogul. I moved from a GSM Treo 650 because I wanted the "more robust" Windows Mobile, GPS, and EVDO, and I got a deal I couldn't refuse under SERO with Sprint. (It was cost-effective to leave AT&T and eat the early termination fee).

    I love the multitasking, I love the GPS, I love the EVDO-A. I'm just not feeling the love on two items: I have IMAP mail and loved the push email with chatteremail. I drive a truck and receive all of my email in "INBOX" on my mail server. I have my weather and traffic alerts emailed to me which come into my mail provider and are automatically put in a subfolder of my inbox, and Chatter would notify me as if the two folders were separate mailboxes, and would alert me with separate alert tones- if if was my day off and I received a traffic alert, I knew I could ignore it, because I typically don't drive ANYWHERE on my days off.

    No love item #2: Pocket Quicken. I have used Pocket Quicken for YEARS, and I love being able to put my charges in my accout immediately, and sync with my home computer. But wait, you say: There is a Windows Mobile version of Pocket Quicken. This is all well and good, but unfortunately, I use a Mac. Palm PQkn works with Windows and Macs. Windows Mobile PQkn only works with Windows. But wait, you say again- Macs run Windows, and mine is running XP under VMWare Fusion, and I picked up Quicken 2007 for Windows. Unfortunately Quicken is not compatible with ITSELF! I cannot migrate my Mac data into the Windows version of Quicken without corrupting everything, even following Quicken's migration directions.

    So where am I now? As much as I WANT to love the Mogul, it is in a drawer, and I am on a secondhand Treo 700P.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ............The real 'battle' is the Linux replacement we are going to see next year - and that's not competiting against WM - it's competiting against the apple OS, the Blackberry OS and the WM OS.
    In Palm lingo, "Next year" is a sliding window.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  7. BenJoeM's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #47  
    I use Pocket Quicken for Palm OS and I am testing out a Treo 700wx. So I downloaded a trial of Pocket Quicken to use on the windows mobile. I have Quicken 2008 and it works great. I actually like it better because I can but my balance info on the today screen (one of the few things I am liking about my windows mobile device). I had 2007 and Palm OS version synced fine, but I haven't tried it with my windows mobile version since I went to 2008.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  8. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #48  
    I prefer Window over any other OS like Blackberry, Sambian, Unix, Linux, Palm or Apple for one reason:

    Windows got more warez!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Having to close programs is something I got use to. I dont close them right away until I notice lag.
    I do not understand that. What kind of a trade-off is that? I thought the point of WM was that it is multi-tasking (as long as you close programs that you are not using.)
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I prefer Window over any other OS like Blackberry, Sambian, Unix, Linux, Palm or Apple for one reason:

    Windows got more warez!
    I expect value but I do not object to paying.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I do not understand that. What kind of a trade-off is that? I thought the point of WM was that it is multi-tasking (as long as you close programs that you are not using.)
    At the moment I have:

    Activesync
    Audio manager
    Calender
    Contacts
    Coreplayer
    file explorer
    Internet explorer
    Internet sharing
    phatnotes
    Picture and videos
    Opera Mobile 9.5
    Word Mobile
    Tasks

    All running at the same time, with 16 MB RAM still free.

    If your apps are well behaved and your phone has enough RAM its not a problem.

    The advantage is that there is no load time for each app,and also no load time for the content of that app, e.g. Opera Mobile takes at least 10-15 seconds to launch, and then another 10 seconds to load the home page. If its already in memory that wasted time is just gone.

    Also you return exactly to the same position in the app as your left off. I know good programmers would save state in any case,but this way its much more reliable.

    Lastly of course some apps run in the background. These are not common, but of course can include apps like GPS loggers etc.

    Surur
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm pumped about the Linux POS, but let's see if the hardware gets some significant upgrades. Make a i780 esque device Palm (thinness, features, etc) and you'll be doing fine.
    Would it be fair to read "pumped" as hopeful, or even very hopeful? We are only here because we are hopeful. However, the history is that we wait and wait only to be disappointed one more time. For example, how long have we been waiting for 3G POS GSM? Native Wi-Fi?
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Would it be fair to read "pumped" as hopeful, or even very hopeful?
    uber pumped

    Definition: The cool way to say very excited.

    I am so freakin uber pumped!

    uber pumped excited cool uber pumped

    by BandS Oct 16, 2006 email it 0 comments
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=uber+pumped

    Surur
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Would it be fair to read "pumped" as hopeful, or even very hopeful? We are only here because we are hopeful. However, the history is that we wait and wait only to be disappointed one more time. For example, how long have we been waiting for 3G POS GSM? Native Wi-Fi?
    Yes, I would say hopeful is accurate. I like what Palm has done with WM, and I'm excited at the prospect of POS2.0.
  15. #55  
    I went from the 650 to a q9m.
    I am never going back to palm os.
    Yes it is fast, etc., but I am just liking wm more. Maybe its the device, or lack of resets it does. Many apps that I found useful on the pos haven't made its way to wm yet.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I went from the 650 to a q9m.
    I am never going back to palm os.
    Yes it is fast, etc., but I am just liking wm more. Maybe its the device, or lack of resets it does. Many apps that I found useful on the pos haven't made its way to wm yet.
    Sin is more fun than virtue. That is why we call it "sin."
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I went from the 650 to a q9m.
    I am never going back to palm os.
    Yes it is fast, etc., but I am just liking wm more. Maybe its the device, or lack of resets it does. Many apps that I found useful on the pos haven't made its way to wm yet.
    If it feels good, do it; be sure you know how it feels.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  18. slabay's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    I use Pocket Quicken for Palm OS and I am testing out a Treo 700wx. So I downloaded a trial of Pocket Quicken to use on the windows mobile. I have Quicken 2008 and it works great. I actually like it better because I can but my balance info on the today screen (one of the few things I am liking about my windows mobile device). I had 2007 and Palm OS version synced fine, but I haven't tried it with my windows mobile version since I went to 2008.
    But you are syncing with Q2008 on a PC. I'm trying to sync with a Mac. I've got it working, albeit through a 4 OS kludge. Using StyleTap, I can run PktQkn Palm on WM6. When it is time to sync, using WinXP under emulation on the Mac, I copy the PQKN-xxxx data files from the device to an SD card to put in the Treo, then copy to main memory on the Treo which will sync to the Mac. Then, I can copy the sync'ed files back to Windows Mobile. I've got to try using the Mogul's MicroSD in an adapter to eliminate the emulated XP middleman, and maybe put together an Automator action to do some of the monotonous transferring. I'm getting closer to loving the Mogul again. At least this week I am using it again!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions