Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LOL! We agree to disagree then. Maybe when Palm crams the equivalent of Darwin, BSD pipes, OpenGL, Core*, and comes up with a whole new interface paradigm, into a mobile, they won't be as far behind...

(heck, they might even get WiFi eventually )
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    LOL..ok then. Like i said, i have both. The apple one is fun. The Centro is useful and a more balanced. But c'mon, on an iphone you can't even run 3rd party apps. No call rec, no slingbox, no video recorder, no tethering, no editing docs, no games besides lame web 2.0 ones, no app that streams, etc, etc. The Centro really puts it to shame right now. The iphone's big strengths are a nice screen, itunes app, and browser. This won't be hard to match later.

As for that all important wifi, it doesn't mean much when you have evdo. A nice feature to have, sure, but a seldom used one. At home, i'm on the laptop. At work, i'm on the laptop. In between, no wifi.

Palm OS has its limitations, I still really like it, its just a little stale and boring lately (when I've used it since 2003, its time for a change.)

Too true. No matter how good or bad it is, this was palm's mistake. Updates, even cosmetic ones, are necessary.
    Coincidentally, one of the first 3rd party apps I bought for my 680 was a call-recorder. It destroyed the phone. Constant crashes. Basically made it unusable. After going many rounds with the company support, only thing I could do was delete it. The other apps I bought, like pTunes deluxe, Core Player, and some G5X apps were all for media and to make the Treo have something approaching modernity.

Given my needs, I haven't missed much since switching.
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Coincidentally, one of the first 3rd party apps I bought for my 680 was a call-recorder. It destroyed the phone. Constant crashes. Basically made it unusable. After going many rounds with the company support, only thing I could do was delete it.
    Sounds like you bought a toysoft app
    JHoff80 - that statement is a bit out of line. The support given by ToySoft is very good. As a note, I use his recorder on my device and have not had any problems at all, though it is not a 680.

Ben
    I'd suggest walking into a store, playing with both and making your decision based upon experience.
    I like Palm OS but gave WM a try and I haven't looked back. Next gen Palm OS has to be something innovative to bring me back. I love my BJ II but the only way I would go back to Palm now is with the 800W if and when they offer a GSM model.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have thought about switching to WM also, given the newer interfaces. But I just can not reconcile myself with the fact that you have to close each program in WM or it bogs it all down. With Palm OS, I can switch from program to program without having to tap close,go back to the launcher screen, and pick another app. By adding a 3rd party launcher like Zlauncher, I just tap 1 key and bring up a quicklist of my most used apps, type the first letter of the one I want and away I go.

When I tried WM in 2002 on an Ipaq, that was the deal breaker. Has that changed with WM versions since then?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The other thing I like about Palm is the huge volume of Palm Os 3rd party software. Sure WM has a lot more available now days, but is any of it free? Since Palm has been out so long, I can find a free software to do pretty much anything I can think of, which is a big deal for a cheapskate like me.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the volume of WM free software.
    Having to close programs is something I got use to. I dont close them right away until I notice lag.
    at&t iPhone3G
    There's piles of pocketpc freeware.
    http://pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php

In fact, I think all the freeware must be terrible competition for commercial programmers trying to make money, even worse than pirated software.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by njperry View Post
    I have thought about switching to WM also, given the newer interfaces. But I just can not reconcile myself with the fact that you have to close each program in WM or it bogs it all down. With Palm OS, I can switch from program to program without having to tap close,go back to the launcher screen, and pick another app. By adding a 3rd party launcher like Zlauncher, I just tap 1 key and bring up a quicklist of my most used apps, type the first letter of the one I want and away I go.

When I tried WM in 2002 on an Ipaq, that was the deal breaker. Has that changed with WM versions since then?
    I don't get this argument. On ALL of my WM phones recently (Tilt, Blackjack II, Treo 750, 8525), I never used a task manager and let programs sit in the background. Especially now that most WM6+ devices have 128mb RAM, there is no need to close programs out. My devices run smoothly, I don't have issues, and I never run out of memory. WM can multitask, something that Palm OS just can't do besides a few apps here and there. I can run GPS, look something up in Google Maps, search on the internet, take notes, etc. etc. and everything stays open where I left it and doesn't kill my phone. The only thing I've noticed that is annoying is loading graphic intensive websites in IE Mobile. However, that is a fault of the archaic browser (but still much better than Blazer). Opera 8.65 is a great browser, but 9.5 will blow it away. I also have Skyfire for more graphic intensive sites. All in all, after having owned several Palm OS devices, BBs (curve), and WM5/6 Pro/Standard devices, I can confidently say that WM offers the most power and customizability with little sacrifices.
    I have been using a Treo 750 for a year. I used a Treo 600 briefly before that but the low-res screen and no user-replacable battery got annoying. I have a Treo 650 on the way because after 12+ months on WM5 (upgraded recently to WM6) I just can't do it anymore!

Here are my personal pro/con lists for each of the devices:

WM5/6
    Pros:
    Can be easy to use if you know what you're doing
    Built in microsoft document support without 3rd party apps
    Telstra Next G mobile capabilities (palm OS treo's are only GSM and our GSM networks are not great - I'm in Australia)
    StyleTap to run Palm OS programs (but check my con about the screen!)

Cons:
    240x240 screen is *awful* - 3 party apps look horrid or just plain don't run on it!
    Cannot change the bottom hard keys to user preference (without hack)
    Sluggish
    Too many windows open
    Every now and then have to soft reset and when I soft reset the dial pad doesn't come up and I can't type in my pin to get onto the network. Not even going in and turning the phone on manually brings up the dial pad and I have to soft reset again. Most times in one shot was 4 attempts to get the dial pad up and running and my car had broken down and I was stuck on the highway!

PALM OS:
    Pros:
    320x320 screen
    Heaps of 3rd party apps (free and commercial. for free check out www.freewarepalm.com) that i personally cannot do without such as uni schedulers and grade keepers.
    Functionality
    Highly customisable - especially if you use a launcher so you CAN make your OS prettier if that is something you're interested in. I've used Zlauncher, SilverScreen and WinLauncher
    Stability
    Games! When I'm in a waiting room (or a 2 hour lecture on the physiology of the brain!) a good game is a necessity. I wasn't much into games before going back to uni this year and now I find if I can't have a good game on my phone then I get highly agitated with having to listen to someone drone on for two hours about stupid things like our assessments.

Cons:
    Dodgy GSM network rather than 3G or NextG (worse coverage)
    Not as new and 'fancy' as WM
    Doesn't have all the fancy gimmicks that people think they want (they wouldn't want them in Australia where data rates border on criminal!)
    Need more 3rd party apps to get it to do what a WM device will do out of the box.

I will be keeping my Palm Treo 750 (WM6 w/ NextG) but have got the Treo 650 coming and will check it's reception in my area. If the GSM network is still dodgy around here (although it was ok on the Treo 600) then I'll be forced to revert to the 750 (and I see it as a backwards step to be honest) merely to be able to get reception. The 750, being newer, I would assume would have better voice clarity too...another thing I'm willing to sacrifice because I rarely like talking on the phone so if it drops out or I can't hear I won't be devestated. I do really like palm stability and functionality, even if it does need a stack of 3rd party apps to work like a WM. The number of 3rd party apps that manage to make it surpass WM in usefullness is not to be sneezed at either.

Just my own personal opinions. I hope they might help.
    I started my PDA life on an HP Jornada and I loved it, except for having to connect it to my cell phone to talk to the world. I jumped to a Treo 650 and it was an easy switch to POS after getting all my "needed" software. I quickly jumped again to a Treo 680 to save a little real estate in my pocket and because I think it "feels" better in my hand. Well, after dropping my 680 in the toilet Sunday evening I've decided to try WM again and I ordered a Tilt.

The 680 has been great for me and I honestly don't believe there's another POS unit out there I'd be willing to switch to. The Centro is nice and all, but it doesn't do anything more than my 680 and I still have my 650 (which I've been using while the 680 is drying out).

I ultimately decided that either OS is fine once readjust to it and customize the screens to fit my limited needs. The biggest reason for my decision to jump back to WM is that there are a couple of software packages not available in a POS version that I'd really like to use.

I really love the front keyboard and thought long and hard about getting a 750, but I couldn't get myself to spend the money on it and still not have WiFi. I know it doesn't really matter to most folks when we pay for a data package anyway, but I travel outside the U.S. quite a bit and the data cost add up. Since I try to stay at hotels with free Internet, having WiFi in my phone might just let me leave the notebook home a bit more frequently.

Even though I'll be giving up my front keyboard I'll get:

3G
    HSDPA
    WiFi
    plus all of my other program I currently use

The greatest thing is that I'll still have my 650 (and maybe my dried out 680) to go back to if I can't adjust back to WM. I don't expect that will happen, but it's nice to know my trusty 'ol Treos will be patiently waiting for my possible return.
    Jornada, Cingular Unlocked 650, ROW 680, Tilt, next?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I don't get this argument. On ALL of my WM phones recently (Tilt, Blackjack II, Treo 750, 8525), I never used a task manager and let programs sit in the background. Especially now that most WM6+ devices have 128mb RAM, there is no need to close programs out. My devices run smoothly, I don't have issues, and I never run out of memory. WM can multitask, something that Palm OS just can't do besides a few apps here and there. I can run GPS, look something up in Google Maps, search on the internet, take notes, etc. etc. and everything stays open where I left it and doesn't kill my phone.

Same here - maybe the memory issues exists on older devices but I never even realised that apps were still running in the background until someone told me (being new to WM6). I've never noticed a performance hit on my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Same here - maybe the memory issues exists on older devices but I never even realised that apps were still running in the background until someone told me (being new to WM6). I've never noticed a performance hit on my device.
    It comes from old PPC2003 and prior devices really, when everything was stored in RAM and you had this "slider" that changed was was used for program memory and what could be used for storage memory. There was no ROM in these devices. As you can tell, RAM management was crucial.

FF to WM5 devices: WM5 requires RAM and ROM for it to work properly, but OEMs decided that 64mb RAM and 128mb ROM was good enough. This lead to problems as WM5 has a lot of overhead processes, so available RAM, even when starting with 64mb, would give the user ~20mb of free RAM. Add in Today plugins, 3rd party PIM apps, IE, email, and that would shrink to only a few MBs free in real life useage. This caused problems because the device was maxed out.

Now with 128mb RAM devices, there are no more shortages for now, and WM6.1 probably won't be much different. We'll have to see how (in)efficient WM7 is, but for now 128mb RAM is ideal (as RAM does suck battery life in a non-inconsequential manner). No need to close down programs all the time. I figure if I open something, I'm going to use it again later that day or all the time.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I've been using Palm OS devices for many years and currently have a T/X. I've kept my phone separate from my PDA, but recently purchased a Verizon XV 6900 w/ Windows Mobile Professional. After 2 weeks, I'm ready to go back to my T/X and a "dumbphone". It's not that the Windows Mobile is notably slower, or that it takes much more time to navigate through it. It's primarily because of that little square box on every memo, contact, and task that lets you privatize it. Try to find a way to secure any memo, contact, file, etc. on Windows Mobile. It's not available..........a glaring oversight by Microsoft developers. I'm not sure what is so stale about the Palm OS. Maybe complexity equals new and improved for some people. I'll be returning the 6900 this week and go back to my T/X and basic cellphone until I see a better alternative. I'm reluctant to go with a 755p because of reliability concerns.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Palm OS is effectively dead at this point - it's a fine low-end PIM OS for low-end phones and prosumers. It does nothing of interest to people interested in media or enterprise customers, it's never going to be developed in any way, shape or form to be of interested to those types of people.

The real 'battle' is the Linux replacement we are going to see next year - and that's not competiting against WM - it's competiting against the apple OS, the Blackberry OS and the WM OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The real 'battle' is the Linux replacement we are going to see next year - and that's not competiting against WM - it's competiting against the apple OS, the Blackberry OS and the WM OS.
    Is this like "next year" as in 2009, or is this like "next year" one year from now when we say "next year" again in the same manner the Palm community has now for the last 4 years?
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Is this like "next year" as in 2009, or is this like "next year" one year from now when we say "next year" again in the same manner the Palm community has now for the last 4 years?
    Well this is palm we are talking about, so your guess is as good as mine!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast