1.    #1  
    ...is whether I want to go with the m500 or the Edge. I've pretty much decided I want to upgrade from my Vdx, but I'm having a hard time choosing which one of these two I like. Before jumping to an answer, read on. The question may not be what you think.

From the perspective of form factor, I like the m500. It's smaller, lighter, and has expansion built in instead of being an add-on sled. I also prefer the location of everything on the m500 over the Edge (including the power button, the expansion slot location, and the IR location. What was HS thinking putting the IR port there?), the FLASH memory, and the currently available cases.

However, I much prefer the built in apps on the Edge. I've tried the standard Datebook app, and hate it. Datebook+ is much better. I also prefer the calculator on the Edge to powerOne, and CityTime to the Clock utility on the m500. I realize I can replace all these on the m500, but it'll end up costing me more just to get the apps that already come on the Edge.

Sooooo, My question is: Which part of the package do you scrutinize the most when choosing a new PDA: the hardware or the software?

Just thought it'd make an interesting topic.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Go m500, you can always add software later, so you don't notice the cost so much.
    I use Datebook 4, which is Datebook + Plus! So, I ended up paying $ and space for software that came with the VDX.

How much 3rd party software do you have on your VDX now?
    Edge is 100 buck cheaper, however... if you're upgrading...
    Originally posted by sowens
    [...] What was HS thinking putting the IR port there?) [...]
    I'm sure they were thinking of having it low enough that it would still be usable even with the springboard sled installed.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm sure they were thinking of having it low enough that it would still be usable even with the springboard sled installed.
    If memory serves, (I don't have the sled with me) the sled doesn't cover up that part of the Edge, the rail is behind it. I'm guessing that the internal electronics caused the southward migration of the IR port. I wonder if it would have been possible to mount it on top (obviously, they didn't because of the flip-lid... which I still think should include a power toggle!)

...Or maybe memory doesn't serve..
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    dietrichbohn is right, you can save the 100 bucks on the upgrade from the Visor Dlx.

Here's a question for you, sowens.....

How much do you use springboards right now with the Visor? How much do you plan to use the extra hardware (modems, mp3, etc.)in the near future? How many hardware options are available right now for the m500?

If you aren't using it much now, then the SB sled shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

One more point.... When I bought the Visor Dlx, I was sold on the amount of scalablity of the SB's. After purchasing, I found out there were basically no SB's available, they were all in development still. It took quite a while for the good SB's to show up on the market. Palm may say that there will be all this hardware available for the m500 in the near future but how close to final production is it?

Just a thought...
    [B
    However, I much prefer the built in apps on the Edge. [/B]
    Download the app at this link
    http://www.sra.co.jp/people/hoshi/palmos/pz.html

Use it to zip the built-in apps you can't live without on your visor. This does not remove the app, it just makes a copy of it because the app is read-only. When you unzip them there will be a copy of them in your ram. Once they are in your ram you can beam them to the m500, they will not appear as "locked". I did this to an m505 at Best Buy to test it, and it worked great.
    (I only tried it on DB+ and City Time, but I assume the calc works the same way.)

Jeff
  9.    #9  
    K. Cannon wrote:

How much 3rd party software do you have on your VDX now?
    Not much. I've been trimming it down to just those apps I use regularly. HandyShopper2, iSilo Free, ThinkDB2 (the beta version), GNU Keyring, Noah Lite, DiddleBug, BigClock, Runtime, and Palminfo.

Notice a trend there?

Just my own personal thing, but I have a hard time paying $40 for a Palm app (which I'd have to do to get the datebook functionality I wanted), though I'm thinking about it for ThinkDB (the open source DB for PalmOS doesn't support the basic data types I need yet, and I have no way of adding them to the code at the moment).

So I'd have to eat space on the m500 to get the software working the way I want. Kinda makes me think I may need expansion memory if I go the m500 route.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    [...] ...Or maybe memory doesn't serve..
    Duh...no, it serves you fine. You're right. Mine was faulty in this case.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Just my own personal thing, but I have a hard time paying $40 for a Palm app (which I'd have to do to get the datebook functionality I wanted),
    I don't mind paying for apps that I keep, but 40 bucks seems a bit much. Hmmm, can't remember how much Datebook 4 cost me... Figures!
    Since color is not a problem, it sounds like you a learning more towards the M505. The choice is simple since form factor is you biggest concern, go with the M505, not that the Edge is much bigger.

Plus you get Flash Rom and you can add the other functions like datebook+ from third party apps.

But if you have SpringBoards you still want to use, then get the Edge and save some money as well.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  13.    #13  
    smittyofdhs wrote:

How much do you use springboards right now with the Visor? How much do you plan to use the extra hardware (modems, mp3, etc.)in the near future? How many hardware options are available right now for the m500?
    The only springboard I've used regularly is the backup module, though I do see a use for memory expansion if I keep adding documents (having a complete portable Perl reference would be ). I also have an Omniremote. Cool toy, but I can live without it (though buying an extra sled and leaving the Omniremote in it would be nice. Hmmm. ).

Basically I can see a need for backup and memory expansion, but whether or not I'll need that before I upgrade again is another question.

One more point.... When I bought the Visor Dlx, I was sold on the amount of scalablity of the SB's. After purchasing, I found out there were basically no SB's available, they were all in development still. It took quite a while for the good SB's to show up on the market. Palm may say that there will be all this hardware available for the m500 in the near future but how close to final production is it?
    Actually, I consider the Edge expansion to be yet another proprietary interface that isn't compatible with anything else. On the flip side, at least the Edge can be made to accept MMC cards like the m500, or CompactFlash, or (choose your industry standard interface of the day) by purchasing the right sled (eventually).
  14.    #14  
    jeffbeerman2 wrote:

Download the app at this link....
    This would certainly work, and would save me a chunk of change, but I'd still be using memory space (man am I hard to please! ).

There's also this.
    Both ideas would work, but Romeo would allow me to replace the apps directly in flash. It's still beta though, so I'm not sure I'd like to use it on something I'm relying on daily.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

I don't mind paying for apps that I keep, but 40 bucks seems a bit much. Hmmm, can't remember how much Datebook 4 cost me... Figures!
    As memory serves (uh-oh!), $25. And (to me) worth $50 or more. Best damn money I ever spent.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Either that or Wordsmith, IMHO.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Either that or Wordsmith, IMHO.
    No argument. I'd include BackupBuddy too... but I'm going off-topic...
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."