Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    SM's Guarantee
    I promise that I will endeavor to keep my posts to this thread as free from redundant facts, opinions, and other C.R.A.P. (Carelessly Researched Armchair Punditry) as humanly possible

As many of my recent posts have shown, over the last few weeks my preference has been leaning heavily toward the purchase of the new CLIE. Today I went to Best Buy to pick one up. But I didn't. Hey we live in a world of heart transplants, cold water drinking fountains, and 14 day return policies so I figured, what the heck, let me carry around the 505 for a few days and see if it is really that bad. So I picked it up instead. Something about the weight and form factor make it worth a closer look just in case.

I was not optimistic when I looked at the pics on the back of the box and the grayish screen shots that were just like the live units I have handled. There was a little juice in the unit out of the box, so I switched it on inside, (after dark.) Whoa! It is much brighter than under the store florescent lights. After two minutes, it promptly but politely shut off. So I'm charging now and will keep my peeps on VC posted, as per the guidelines of my self-imposed guarantee.
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/19/2001 at 10:26 PM.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Be careful with those darn return policies! Sometimes, even though it's within the date time frame, they charge OUTRAGEOUS restocking fees!! I think BestBuy is one of those places.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by MikeD
    Be careful with those darn return policies! Sometimes, even though it's within the date time frame, they charge OUTRAGEOUS restocking fees!! I think BestBuy is one of those places.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Ok, my first thought that has hopefully not already been expressed by someone else: Given the restrictions they were told to work with, the engineers at Palm have done a great job putting this unit together. I don't like Yankowski's direction anymore than I did 8 hrs ago, but I think we should give some credit to the guys grazing out in the cube farm.
  4.    #4  
    Outside in sunlight - not as much contrast as I had hoped

Under lights in the office - ok without the backlight. Turning the backlight on creates a whiter background which increases readaility, but not brightness
    The M505 surprised me to. Initially I was going for the Clie N710C, but got tired of waiting for it to ship. So I picked up the 505. Much to my amazement, I actually LIKE the thing! It's not bad. And most important to me...there is no dust under the screen! I've seen 4 Clie's up close..all of them had dust particles under the digitizer. Just like the iPaq. I'm not interested in reliving that experience.
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    I was not optimistic when I looked at the pics on the back of the box and the grayish screen shots that were just like the live units I have handled. There was a little juice in the unit out of the box, so I switched it on inside, (after dark.) Whoa! It is much brighter than under the store florescent lights.
    And I thought I was going crazy - the lighting at BB is almost too bright for testing the screens of the devices. I was looking at one in Circuit City with much lower lighting levels (in the physical sense and the wattage sense) and it was MUCH more acceptable to the eye. I was wondering if it was me, two very different production runs, or the lighting in the location.

And I just got done talking myself into a prism...

Does anyone know if CompUSA price-matches online merchants? I need to use my gift card, so I need to buy the thing there.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by patwoods

And I thought I was going crazy - the lighting at BB is almost too bright for testing the screens of the devices. I was looking at one in Circuit City with much lower lighting levels (in the physical sense and the wattage sense) and it was MUCH more acceptable to the eye. I was wondering if it was me, two very different production runs, or the lighting in the location.

After using the 505 all day today, I can say that the screen on this one is very readable. It is not as vivid as the Prism, but READBALE. The contrast is high enough that you can make out all the subtle colors in games, pics, etc. The colors are not wahsed together like they appear under store lights. I hope everyone understands the distinction I am making between vivid and high contrast.

And I just got done talking myself into a prism...
    Try them both!

Does anyone know if CompUSA price-matches online merchants? I need to use my gift card, so I need to buy the thing there.
    Best Buy does not. Not sure about CompUSA.

Weight
    The 505 is thin, but dense! If feels as heavy as my VPL (5.4oz), even though it is lighter (4.9oz)

More later....
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    The M505 surprised me to. Initially I was going for the Clie N710C, but got tired of waiting for it to ship. So I picked up the 505. Much to my amazement, I actually LIKE the thing! It's not bad.
    I hate to abuse the word Zen, but there is a certain spartan balance to it. Not complex or over done, just rock solid, seam-welded Palm. I'm still deciding if I want the simple piano solo(505) or the rap-rock video (710).
    Very cool, although if I do go for the 505 I need to sell my SoundsGood module and 8MB flash module...

Hmmm... tough decision up ahead for me...
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Outside in sunlight - not as much contrast as I had hoped

Under lights in the office - ok without the backlight. Turning the backlight on creates a whiter background which increases readaility, but not brightness
    What would be great is if you can put them side by side. Then you could truly compare them. 160x160 vs 320x320, SD vs MS and so on.

I've already fallen in love with my Clie. If you like the M505, we can still be bretheren. For example, they both use the VFS file system.

Good luck on your testing of the M505. I think Palm recently tweaked 'em a bit. I didn't have a good experience with it when they first came out. So I got a store credit and two weeks later used it on the Sony Clie. Oh Joy!!! In the end its what you like.

BTW:There are rumors that Palm may add Brightness control in an update for the Palm M505
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    sure wish the sales folk at ChumpUSA would let me drag the two outside, but I seriously doubt it!
    sure wish the sales folk at ChumpUSA would let me drag the two outside, but I seriously doubt it!
    You should ask. I mean your gonna plunk 400-500 bucks on it.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

You should ask. I mean your gonna plunk 400-500 bucks on it.
    Good point, but I couldn't even get them to open a Visor Deluxe box for me to see the different colors of the models when I bought my orange one. I don't see it happening.

BTW - you know, we should use the phone to chat, we are only typing these messages minutes apart sometimes
    Before you decide do some reserach as well. Cnet does some faily decent reviews as well as owners of the devices send feedback that you can review.

Cnet Handspring Visor Prism review
    http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...30-405-4685019

Cnet Palm M505 review
    http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...30-405-5185582

Cnet Sony Clie N710C review
    http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...30-405-5756207

All of them scored a 7 (scale of 1-10), plus all three are on the the top 5 handhelds list

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...0.html?tag=dir well atleast the Clie N710C actually is

So they all are great buys in different ways.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/20/2001 at 03:26 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    I think I have read EVERY SINGLE review out there...
    Plus I have played with all three quite a bit in stores too...

I am just torn between getting a prism now and staying loyal to HS, or getting the 505 and all new stuff. Clie is out because it is more than I am willing to pay, other than that it is nice except for the design of the device itself...
    I am just torn between getting a prism now and staying loyal to HS, or getting the 505 and all new stuff. Clie is out because it is more than I am willing to pay, other than that it is nice except for the design of the device itself...
    Me, too; my solution is to wait until news from the PC Expo filters out next week.

I would expect Sony to provide more details about the two new cheaper Clies; and there's always a chance that HandSpring might announce a color Edge with Hi-Res and Palm OS 4.0 support. (Though with HandSpring, they don't seem to do things until they're good and ready to ship -- which is to their credit.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I think I have read EVERY SINGLE review out there...
    Plus I have played with all three quite a bit in stores too...

I've played with an M505 and I used to own that lovely Prism. Whats the biggest difference between them. Color, size and expansion format, and quality of display outdoors.

Best Color Fidelity - Prism wins

Best Display Outdoors - M505 takes it (Prism's weakest link)

Best Display Indoors - Prism wins by KO (That rich display beats all other PDAs by far indoors. Just wish it was high res.)

Best Form Factor - M505 (but keep in mind that Spinboards modules on average don't not affect the Prisms form factor as would a sled on the M505)

Expansion Modules available - Prism wins (Theres a whole lot more out for Prism to date, plus there are adapters that allow it to use SM and CF memory cards. I hear there may be SD/MMC and MS modules too)

I gotta be careful here . . . I'm almost gonna take back my Prism from my fiancee and she's already fallen in love with it.

Just really think about the most important factors you need met. Then buy baby buy
    -Mikedemo

Good point, but I couldn't even get them to open a Visor Deluxe box for me to see the different colors of the models when I bought my orange one. I don't see it happening.

BTW - you know, we should use the phone to chat, we are only typing these messages minutes apart sometimes
    Sure Buddy. My number is 212-3 . . . Uh I better e-mail ya my office number and you can give me a call
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

Sure Buddy. My number is 212-3 . . . Uh I better e-mail ya my office number and you can give me a call
    Chicken...
    I am trying to convince myself that the form factor isn't an issue, that I should stay with the Prism. But here is how I use my PDA most of the time. Looks like the 505 makes a lot of sense to me at this point...
    • In the office and at work, I like to lug it along to meetings, plus not to mention I have a very bright window office. (505 wins here, form factor important)
    • In the car (when stopped in traffic of course), looking up phone numbers, checking my calendar, playing games, etc. and browsing the web and checking email from the cell phone. (505 wins here due to the reflective screen)
    • At home I mostly sync with my home computer, not really playing around with it nearly as much as I used to. (Prism would be nicer for evenings with the better screen)

The only thing I would really miss is the SoundsGood player. But I have a mac, and I have to <kludge>use Virtual PC</kludge> to drop tunes onto it. If I could unload the SoundsGood either to a trade for a real mp3 player that works with macs, or to sell for about the same price, then I wouldn't be nearly as torn.

Seems like the 505 is a good match for me.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast