Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    and one small note...the clie was on the top of the display...and a level below it was an m505...when i first looked at it...I thought it was an m500!!! it was on...and i looked down, and I was like, "bahahaha! cheap m500" then i look closer, and it turned out to be an m505, i could barely notice it was colour! jus a small note...
    Remember, 505 = advanced monchrome display, fortified w/ color, w/ a real frontlight.

WEGA it ain't....
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by slotmachine

Really? What's your opinion of this review? On the second page, a US and a Hung. 505 are compared side-by-dide. There is a noticable difference in the brightness in this picture.

Do you have a manuf. date for yours? Maybe Palm closed the gap by the time your unit was built.
    No date anywhere I checked on it. Maybe there a re some brightness differences, but they aren't drastic as far as I can see. I am still completely happy.
    So Slot & Pat,

You guys feel you made the right choice in picking the M505. If so why. I'd love to hear how it fits perfectly in your day to day.

I admire the way your chose your PDA.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    ...You guys feel you made the right choice in picking the M505. If so why. I'd love to hear how it fits perfectly in your day to day.
    I use mine mostly as, well, a PIM. The main reason I took the 505 over the competition was its size though. It still amazes me how thin it is and how comforable it feels in my hand. The color screen is also decent, although I lusted after the Sony, I realized that low-res fonts actually are easier on the eyes for me...

SplashPhoto and SplashMoney are the two other main reasons I prefer the m505. Since using both, I have completely done away with carrying a checkbook, and instead carry the palm and enter all my transactions on the spot, and with the photo album, I can whip out the m505 and show anyone my photos (currently only my dog at this point.... I can't live without either program at this point...

I have come to really value the 'portability' of this handheld a lot, and think that particular aspect is without a doubt, the best reason to buy. All the talk about screen res, backlighting, etc. is good for geek-talk between all of us, but when it gets down to it, the m505 holds its own as (IMHO) the best palm device on the market for most people at this point.

And, yes, I am on my second one. I managed to get Palm to swap mine for a Mexico model with a (slightly) brighter screen... Most people couldn't care less, I happened to decide to get the brightest one I could get my hands on.
    Originally posted by patwoods
    SplashPhoto and SplashMoney are the two other main reasons I prefer the m505. Since using both, I have completely done away with carrying a checkbook, and instead carry the palm and enter all my transactions on the spot...
    Just an off-topic me-too: I've switched to SplashMoney and love it. Very friendly and easy-to-use, and the developer is updating the program with new features on a very regular basis.

While I'm not a financial "power user", it looks to me as if SplashMoney can hold it's own in the PDA electronic ledger arena.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  6.    #106  
    So Slot & Pat,

You guys feel you made the right choice in picking the M505. If so why. I'd love to hear how it fits perfectly in your day to day.

I admire the way your chose your PDA.
    M-Daddy!!

Right now I feel like the guy with the new Volvo S70. Very satisfied with the style, size, durablilty, etc. But there's this wise-guy that keeps whizzing by me in a BMW M5-710 with the top down, tunes playing, AvantGo scrolling on the dashboard.....
    Last edited by slotmachine; 07/31/2001 at 06:25 PM.
    Right now I feel like the guy with the new Volvo S70. Very satisfied with the style, size, durablilty, etc. But there's this wise-guy that keeps whizzing by me in a BMW M5-710 with the top down, tunes playing, AvantGo scrolling on the dashboard.....
    Dude, that about sums it up for me as well AvantGo is where I would like to have that 320x320 screen....
  8. Ken
    Slot & Pat - what case are you using for your 505???
    "Work is theatre and every business a stage."
    Originally posted by Ken
    what case are you using for your 505???
    Haven't bought one - the flip cover is ok for me currently. But I want something that I can hotsync in, and is as low profile as possible, so that it doesn't feel bulky in my pocket.

Any suggestions? I don't particularly care for the Palm cases, they look like I need to remove the PDA to sync.
  10. Ken
    Okay, I have another quick question many of you seem to go from one PDA to another faster than a jackrabbit on a date. Ive had the VDX for almost a year now, but have recently been drooling over the m505 and the Clie (the iPaq has also caught my attention). Thing is, Ive got this $40 backup module, $90 Stowaway keyboard, $25 leather case, and $20 stylus. Heres my question do you purchase all new accessories every time you switch PDAs??? If so, how in the heck can you afford to? And what do you do with the old PDA and old accessories? Ebay it?
  11.    #111  
    Originally posted by Ken
    Slot & Pat - what case are you using for your 505???
    My previous PDA was a Visor Plat, which I still have but will sell shortly. I carry it in a BodyGlove case. Smooth operating metal zipper, neoprene, protective enough to bounce it off the floor w/ no damage to your PDA, $20.
    What am I looking at now?

Zippered leather case from Palm.
    $34, I bought it for $27. Very poor. Plastic zipper, cheap feel, the stitching around the corners looks primed to break after a few weeks of use. The zipper passes so close to the unit that you risk scratching the bottom corners of the unit with the zipper after a few days of zipping/unzipping. Back to Dell it goes.

E&B Slipper
    I'm going to try out the slipper next. My concern there is dust getting under the screen over time. It also uses velcro. I'm not crazy about announcing my presence with a "hook and loop" fanfare everytime I rip the cover open.

Rhinoskin
    I've thought about the RhinoSkun Aluminum hardcase, but a rep emailed me today that it is far from dustproof, and it was not really designed to resist scratches from keys and other pocket hazards.

Vaja
    I like the magnetic closure, but at $80 plus shipping from Argentina, "yo no pienso..."

Orbino
    $150 and up? Outrageous. How about a folding keyboard and a memory card instead?

I suspect that I am going to just settle for the $20 505 BodyGlove when it comes out. Meantime, I just carry my 505 in the case I bought for the Plat.
    Last edited by slotmachine; 08/01/2001 at 05:39 PM.
  12.    #112  
    Originally posted by patwoods
    Any suggestions? I don't particularly care for the Palm cases, they look like I need to remove the PDA to sync.
    If you're not too concerned about long-term dust, the E&B Slipper Case is a good value. Hotsync while in the case. It increases the thickness of the 505 from about .5" to just .78". If you're not in a big rush to get it, I'll be the guinea pig.
  13.    #113  
    Originally posted by Ken
    Okay, I have another quick question many of you seem to go from one PDA to another faster than a jackrabbit on a date.
    I don't switch that often. I had a PalmPilot Pro for 2 1/2 years, then the Plat 12/00, now the 505. I'll probably upgrade again when 320x320 rolls out in the V form-factor. My saving grace is that I don't buy a lot of accessories. I will be price-matching an SD card soon, though.
  14. Ken
    Speaking of the V form factor, does anyone know anything about when the following PDAs are going to hit the street?

Palm m700/705
    Color Visor Edge
    Toshiba Pocket PC
    412mhz Compaq iPaq

I might just hold off a little while longer on trading in my VDX.

M-Daddy!!

Ok ok I'll ease up on the pedal
    -Mikedemo
    I think that the Clie is great. Had mine for almost two months, and I love it. It's a little slower than my platium, but the color and resoluton by far over-ride the speed. I have a 64MB memory stick and have over 40MB's filled with medical books. The Clie is a great little machine, very happy with it.

Does anyone know with there's a reader that's VFS compatible that can also read islo files?
    Fat's
    Ok ok I'll ease up on the pedal
    Metaphor Convergence: Getting your Clie to play the BMW films!
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Does anyone know with there's a reader that's VFS compatible that can also read islo files?
    I know that the CSpotRun version that ships with Kopsis VFS is supposed to be VFS-enabled.

My own clever plan is to wait for next (probably) version of WordSmith; Blue Nomad said that VFS support for WordSmith was pushed out of 2.0 only because they didn't have time for both it and the high-res fonts. Sounds like it'll make it into the next release, or the one after that.

(Blue Nomad is apparently pushing the frontiers of VFS -- their working on allowing the Backup Buddy conduit to grab files via VFS from SM/MMD cards (and hopefully any other VFS mounted media.))
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  19.    #119  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    [B]
    I know that the CSpotRun version that ships with Kopsis VFS is supposed to be VFS-enabled.
    Jeff,

Do you prefer CSpotRun over msmount?
    Slot,

I recently saw a PDA user with a M505. Her display was brighter than the one I previously owned. Not bad I thought to myself. Still not bright enough for my taste but it was better. If Palm had put a hires screen in the M505, I would have kept it even without the mp3 player. (Oh thats a 610 eh?)

Enjoy your M505. It's better than I first thought.
    -Mikedemo
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast