Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    For example, Greg Allen, an iPAQ and Prism owner posted comments stating that he found "very little difference between the m505 and the Handspring Prism as far as color and claity is concerned".

I don't care whether the comparisons aren't polarized as long as their accurate, which is clearly not the case here. ZDNet in particular has a marked tendency to treat certain companies, not to say advertisers, with kid gloves. IIRC, they gave the first Clié a lukewarm review in the text, but wound up giving it a "9" rating. So far, the Wall Street Journal and The Gadgeteer have had the most forthright reviews of the 505.
    If the PC press had any guts they would write some stories that analyzed the polarization of opions about the m505. For example, Greg Allen, an iPAQ and Prism owner posted comments stating that he found "very little difference between the m505 and the Handspring Prism as far as color and claity is concerned". What's going on? Was there a production run of super 505's made in Madagascar that some people are using now? It would be nice to get some real journalists on this.
    There is no way the M505 has the color clarity of the Prism. The Prism is the most vivid PDA around. iPaq, Clie, and especially the M505 can't touch the Prism in this area. The times they do look better than Prism (and I am taking about the color fidelity not in resolution ) is outside because of their reflective screens. And even then the Clie and the iPaq have better contrast.

I dunno what these guys are on, maybe ectasy or something. All those guys need to do is run McColors and put the Prism and M505 next to each other. The M505 will look like its faded next to the Prisms rich color.

The M505 is a decent device, but it should have been out last year.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    So far, the Wall Street Journal and The Gadgeteer have had the most forthright reviews of the 505.
    Over the last year, I've found The Gadgeteer to have the most balanced reviews anywhere. Julie is a gem -- she works very hard at providing useful information. She very clearly distinguishes between her observations and her opinions; and she updates her reviews if corrected on any information. Hell, I'd pay a subscription fee for access to the Gadgeteer's reviews.

I prefer VC for news and discussion, but when it comes to reviews, I wait for Julie's.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  4.    #44  
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    The M505 is a decent device, but it should have been out last year.
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking last night! (Are you using the telepathy stick?) The 505 in May of 2000 would have rocked the Palm world. Now its crowded out by units that are brighter (prism), sharper(clie) and cheaper (IIIc).

I'm going to grab McColors off of palmgear and try this out. When you pick tab colors in Launch'em, you get a completely pastel pallette.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking last night! (Are you using the telepathy stick?) . . .
    Well acutally . . . Yes
    -Mikedemo
  6.    #46  
    I'm pi**ed. One thing Palm got right was the styling of the 505. I am loathe to give up the size, look and feel of that unit. But I would be cheating myself if I didn't test drive the 710 for a few days.

Abandonment
    Palm has walked away from the "enthusiast" sector of the PDA market! No one else is making Palm OS devices for the "pinstripe" sector, so they still have some hope there. Although one sector is not enough to sustain them.

He's STILL clueless!
    But why walk away from the "enthusiasts" (we geeks) that brought you to the dance in the first place? Carl's keynote address is titled "From grassroots to the boardroom" (paraphrased). That is the crux of his problem. He has been so bent on pursuing corporate acceptance (WHICH WAS ALREADY THERE AND GAINING STEAM BEFORE HE ARRIVED AT PALM) that he has forgotten Palm OS's grass roots.

"uh thank ya very much" - Elvis
    So Handspring has capitalized on the enthusiasts. SB expansion allows ubergeeks like me to customize their visors with their poison of choice. [insert list of SB modules]

"We will add your unique distinctivness to our own. Resistnace is futile. Palm Jordan is futile.."
    With the CLIE line, Sony has now unleashed a fleet of cross-sector storm-troopers!! Enthusiasts. Entry level. New customers enticed to buy because of the bridge to MP3s. Sony freaks who never thought about PDAs before. They are going to steal all the the m10x customers, and THEN , turn their incredible design talent loose on the corporate market. They WILL produce a unit as slick and small as the m5xx. They WILL develop the technologies to cram tons of killer features into it. They WILL sell it at cost or less, swallowing the expense down their gaping corporate maw. You know it. I know it. The American people know it.

Palm could have hedged against this by reenforcing brand loyalty among enthuisiasts. Two years ago, loyalty was so strong we would have bought a cinder block if Palm OS was written on it. But they hired Carl instead.

I've gotta get to work....
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/26/2001 at 06:59 AM.
    Yup that Sony deathstar is positioning itself over Planet Palm. And we all know what the Death Star did to Alderon.

I think its smart on yur part to test drive PDAs so you make sure you get the PDA that meets your requirements in a PDA.

Slot you can feel it all around you. Calling you to the darkside. Join me my son

heheh Just kidding.
    -Mikedemo
    Yup that Sony deathstar is positioning itself over Planet Palm. And we all know what the Death Star did to Alderon.

I think its smart on yur part to test drive PDAs so you make sure you get the PDA that meets your requirements in a PDA.

Slot you can feel it all around you. Calling you to the darkside. Join me my son

heheh Just kidding.
    Hey, Handspring is the Rebel Alliance! The true core of the original empire: the last good people left in the galaxy! The new color edge is going to fly right into that death star and blow it to kingdom come! (Yeah, right....)
  9.    #49  

heheh Just kidding.
    I WILL NEVER JOIN THE DARK SI.... oooooo, V.I.P. pic of the day in hi-res....
    Hey, Handspring is the Rebel Alliance! The true core of the original empire: the last good people left in the galaxy! The new color edge is going to fly right into that death star and blow it to kingdom come! (Yeah, right....)
    Unless Jabba trips them up. I'll let you guess who THAT is!
    I'm confused with the Star Wars analogies

If Handspring is like the Alliance and a former member of the Empire then...that would make Palm the Empire...How did Sony get the Death Star?

Who's Jabba? HandEra?
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  11.    #51  
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    I'm confused with the Star Wars analogies

If Handspring is like the Alliance and a former member of the Empire then...that would make Palm the Empire...How did Sony get the Death Star?

Who's Jabba? HandEra?
    It's a garbled hodgepodge of sci-fi. Let's simplify by just calling Sony the Big Bang and get it over with.
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/27/2001 at 05:56 AM.
    Ditto
    -Mikedemo
    I kind of think Carl bears a striking resemblence to Jabba. Of course, so does Sally Struthers.
  14.    #54  
    Originally posted by VTL
    I kind of think Carl bears a striking resemblence to Jabba. Of course, so does Sally Struthers.
    You nailed it!

Has anyone watched Carl's Keynote?
    To get back to the original thread: how's your m505/N710C comparison going? I've found your comments to be really illuminating on the subject, and I'm curious how the 710C will appear after your m505 use.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  16.    #56  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    To get back to the original thread: how's your m505/N710C comparison going? I've found your comments to be really illuminating on the subject, and I'm curious how the 710C will appear after your m505 use.
    Thanks! I'm picking up the CLIE up tonight. After a week with the 505, its really grown on me. The CLIE is going to have to really rock my handheld experience for me to keep it.
    I played with a 505 again at CompUSA and I have to say that I still like it the best - the screen is the only remotely-weak spot, and I kind of like it in a weird way. The form factor, the vibrating alert and the SD slot sold me. I am buying from Dell.com immediately. $360 is an awesome price too. Jump on this deal (or for any other handspring or palm branded device) while it's still hot, folks!

Glad to be finally done with this upgrade-obsession
  18.    #58  
    Hmmmm.....

Picked up the 710, and have just completed my first HotSync. Right now I'm trying to get over "form-factor shock" from carrying around the lean, mean 505 all last week. When I first played with the CLIE in the store it seemed pretty small, but I was carrying my Platinum then. After the 505, the entire ergonomics of it seem really "busy". The 505 was symmetrical in all three dimensions, the CLIE isn't.

OK, my second Hotsync just finished with all sorts of games and other graphic goodies. My attitude may be about to change.

Stand by
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/28/2001 at 10:54 PM.
  19.    #59  
    Originally posted by patwoods
    the screen is the only remotely-weak spot, and I kind of like it in a weird way
    I know what you mean. By day, a kind of "super monochrome" fortified with color. By night, 85% as good as the 710, minus the hi-res.
    Slot,

Find this program called "VMB". Its is an excellent picture viewer. VMB allows you to view 8bit Bitmaps files. And my God do they look awesome.

First thing yo need to be aware of is that it only views images on the Memory Stick. But don't worry. This app is way faster than PG Pocket. It doesn't generate thumbnails, which allows you to start chosing the image you want to view right away. It also supports over sized images which look great and you an slide it around to view other areas. (this screen is so sharp)

Getting the bitmaps on your Clie is easy. Just seat your Clie in the cradle, go into AudioPlayer and do :menu: then "k" which starts the transfer mode. Now your memory stick is recognized by your computer as a removable drive (cool eh). In windows, drag and drop your images (1 or multiple files) onto the MS. This is also the best way to get mp3 files on the Clie as well .

You can even make a folder for your images if you want using "McFile".

Remember it only works with 8bit images for now. But I am sure once the 610 and os4 update for the 710 are released that it will support 24 bit as well. You'll still be impressed.

Even though it doesn't have an automated slide show feature, VMB is my preferred image viewer on the Clie. (I still use PG Pocket once in a while)
    -Mikedemo
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast