Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Scrolling through long web pages and lists get old very fast. The iPhone could do with a D-pad.

Surur
    I have yet to meet an iPhone user that is longing for a d-pad.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    As an iPod Touch owner I can tell you I do.

Surur
    Well, allow me to introduce myself....

(I actually find lists and webpages to be fine, more or less. I'm more thinking about games (particularly the more traditional kind), and a d-pad is a fine way to allow 5 or 10 "quick launches" in a very compact space - press up, double-press up, press left, double-press left, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Because Sony can kick Apple's *** with Xperia, that's why!!
    I don't really think apple will ever worry about a phone running Windows Mobile. Also, Apple has something that no other phone maker has. A cool store in tons of malls around the country will rows of iPhones already set up to play with. The only store in my mall that is consistently crowded is the Apple store.

I bet they do a lot of sales off of walk in traffic of people that didnt wake up that day intending to buy an iPhone. Where do I go to try out an unlocked N95 or another non-network branded windows mobile phone before I lay down my money?
    As an iPod Touch owner I can tell you I do.

Surur
    Leave off the dpad, and create a way to double tap the lower part of the screen to automatically take you to the bottom. They already have that to go to the top. This iPhone owner votes "no" to anymore buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Well, allow me to introduce myself....

(I actually find lists and webpages to be fine, more or less. I'm more thinking about games (particularly the more traditional kind), and a d-pad is a fine way to allow 5 or 10 "quick launches" in a very compact space - press up, double-press up, press left, double-press left, etc.)
    The only way to add a dpad is to make the iPhone bigger. I definitely do not want that. Your right about games, most will probably be played with the touchscreen and accelerometer.
  7.    #107  
    This iPhone owner votes "no" to anymore buttons.
    How Jobs-like.

Apple's Steve Jobs Hates Buttons

The Skinny: High-Tech Mogul's Button-Phobia Highlighted In Wall Street Journal Profile

At last, the great Steve Jobs' Achilles heel is revealed! Except it's more like a wrist, surrounded by a conspicuously button-free cuff.

The Wall Street Journal fronts its paper today with a reach-around profile revealing that the Apple mogul has a pathological fear and loathing of buttons.

And it goes way beyond the sleekly buttonless iPhone. The elevator in Apple's Tokyo stores has no floor buttons, forcing vistors to stop at every floor. That trademark black turtleneck that's become his uniform for public appearances? See any buttons on that? And let's not even get into his fight over putting buttons on the mouse, or requirement that early Macs be designed without arrow keys.
    Surur
    How Jobs-like.
    Surur
    I guess this is a negative?
    I do't see why it has to be bigger. Think about IBM (lenovo) laptops with their little erasers, or hat switches on old joysticks. The button could be exactly the same diameter (smaller, even), but would have to be raised, as opposed to indented. (and would have to be non-slip).
  10.    #110  
    I guess this is a negative?
    Did you read the lift part? There's such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Surur
    How is it less convenient than on a blackberry when I have to use the little trackball to scroll to any icon I need. Never really used replacement launchers on the palm, but I did make separate application folders to put my apps in. Not sure that was anymore convenient than swiping the iphone homescreen left or right.

Why wont the springboard be convenient with 20 apps? Its one swipe to move the screen to the next page.
    I don't consider BB to be ideal (don't like the roller ball) either...or Garnet.

The reason it's not convienet is it's not really logical. You have to visually scan the icons to find what you want and/or remember the name of the app--but they are not organized by any rhyme or reason.

The more logical layout is to have specific categories that can be tapped as this requires less staring at the screen. Also, having the icons listed by (user choice)
    • alphabetical
    • user choice

or
    • frequently used

This is only necessary though once you start having a need for more applications or shortcuts to functions (new email, bookmarks, etc.)

Obviously if you just have 5 or 10 apps, it might not be necessary and this well vary from user to user as to their preference. Choice is good though. What's nice about WM is you can pretty much design and implement any setup you want...

Last edited by Malatesta; 03/14/2008 at 05:13 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Essentially the iphone launcher relies on geography; your brain needs to remember "where," on a sliding horizontal plane, different applications live. That wouldn't be the most horrible thing in the world (many many people complain about OS X's finder because it lost this sort of representation of files and folders), but if this is how they are going to do it, they need to go all out. You need to be able to go up and down, not just left and right. You need to be able to place icons where you want, not just on the snap grid and left justified per row. And you need the ability to establish reference landmarks. For example, if I can set my own per-screen background (or background color), it makes it easier for me to tell where I am in the overall plane.
    Lets not forget that the e61 release on the AT&T network was a horrible device. My company supported it for awhile. Almost everyone that we gave one out to, asked to go back to their blackberry or windows mobile device after awhile.

You should know that AT&T absolutely neutured the E61!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't really think apple will ever worry about a phone running Windows Mobile. Also, Apple has something that no other phone maker has. A cool store in tons of malls around the country will rows of iPhones already set up to play with. The only store in my mall that is consistently crowded is the Apple store.

I bet they do a lot of sales off of walk in traffic of people that didnt wake up that day intending to buy an iPhone. 1. Where do I go to try out an unlocked N95 2. or another non-network branded windows mobile phone before I lay down my money?
    1. In Chicago, the Nokia flagship store on Michigan Ave. Or Devon Ave.

2. Devon Ave.

Also in NYC, I understand there are QUITE a a lot of unlocked phone places.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Dont see many iPhone users wishing to get their homescreens to look more like a blackberry or treo though.
    Mine does. I moved all the icons I barely use to the next screen. Similar to hiding icons on the BB and Treo.

I personally will never consider the
    iPhone a serious business smartphone simple for the fact that it doesn't have replacable battery and "get things done when it counts" hardware buttons.

However I have had so much fun hacking and morning my iPhone I will never get rip of mine.

Apple deserve alot of credit at attracting big time software/game developers hopping on the smartphone/dumbphome platforms.

Btw, most of the criticism of the software side of iPhone (lack of mms,background IM app etc) has been addressed by the hackers. If you are not willing to mod your iPhone..that's your problem, not the iPhone's. When I used my Treo I pushed it to the limit.
    Get serious!! IM and MMS are included on every modern phone out of the box BUT the iPhone!! WHY should we have to mod our phones for a basic service?!! They even put it on WM phones, so there is NO excuse for Apple!!

P.S. Actually I should have said IM is available out of the box, not included. You're not guaranteed an IM client on unbranded phones, but you can download one, often a free one. And without hacking the phone.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/16/2008 at 05:28 AM.

Get serious!! IM and MMS are included on every modern phone out of the box BUT the iPhone!! WHY should we have to mod our phones for a basic service?!! They even put it on WM phones, so there is NO excuse for Apple!!
    IM wasnt on my Blackberry out of the box. As an AT&T customer, I couldn't even download the free IM clients (dont know if that has changed, most BB users I know use Jivetalk).

Is Yahoo Messenger and AIM included on a windows mobile device, out of the box?

Even though I have never used MMS once in my life, I agree it should be on the iPhone.
    Mine does. I moved all the icons I barely use to the next screen. Similar to hiding icons on the BB and Treo.
    I too have moved some of my less used icons to another screen. It still looks nothing like a blackberry.
    Usually when going through a carrier, you get some kind of IM client. But even on unbranded phones, there's an option to download one if one's not on the phone. But not a whole year after you get the phone! I can download Morange right now for most of my phones. There are others too.

I got the OZ client on the T-Mobile one from what I remember. Although I didn't use the AT&T one long enough to even test for IM. Did they once again restrict the software? That's why I hate branded phones much of the time. But I did get IM on my Blackjack 2.

For the BB, I used the layout of icons in a horizontal row placement(not the vertical one) and yes that is almost like the iPhone layout. I'm not talking about graphics, I mean layout only.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/16/2008 at 05:31 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast