Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    It is with some sadness that I finally made the move this week from my 680 to a Blackberry Curve. After an expletive-fraught experience last Sunday when I had to start the same story over five times to a friend because my two week-old Treo kept flaking out and hanging 15 seconds into any conversation, I decided I'd had enough.

I've been a Palm user since 1999, if memory serves. I went from a IIIxe to a Treo 180g to a 270 to a 600 to a 650 to a 680. The reliability (both hardware and OS) has always been poor, horribly so with the 180/270 (remember the hinges that would always break on the flip?), okay with the 600, and back to intolerable with the 650/680.

While I truly love the device, its design, its user-friendliness, its versatility, I just cannot live with its unreliability anymore. I was on my sixth 680 in 13 months: one because a key didn't work anymore, some crashed way too often, and a few I had to exchange because I started using it as an MP3 player and the 2.5 mm audio jack kept giving out.

I'm going to miss the touchscreen. I'm going to miss playing Klondike to pass time anywhere. I'm going to miss AvantGo, where I could update websites through a USB connection and not pay for data usage. I'm going to miss Pocket Tunes, a solid MP3 player. I'm going to miss Cell Plan to track my minutes (can't believe that product hasn't been better developed or made standard on phones). And I'm going to miss the host of other little apps that I'd downloaded over the years and enjoyed. I'm going to miss the never-ending list of accessories and ways to customize your Treo. And I'm going to miss reading about the vibrant Treo community on the Internet - true believers (of which I was) if I've ever seen any, backing a company for so long despite such mediocre product reliability.

But I'm not going to miss the wonky and unpredictable OS. I'm not going to miss the lack of a reset button - heck, my Blackberry doesn't have one either, but I wouldn't expect to use it if it did. I'm not going to miss having to get a new 680 every two months or so for a variety of reasons, most infuriatingly the poorly-designed audio jack. I'm not going to miss the so-so battery life, either.

So another one bites the dust. If there's such a healthy Treo-loving community out there, I'm assuming it's because most have not had the tough experiences I've had with Treos over the years. Or you can simply deal with it better than I can. But after wanting to throw my Treo out my car window for the umpteenth time, I've decided to save my sanity and go Blackberry. It's a lesser device, I think, but from dozens of friends who own one, I'm told it's absolutely unflappable in its OS and indestructible in its hardware. I'm not looking back.
    Last edited by lazure; 03/07/2008 at 04:38 PM.
    Too bad you switched, we all had that prob from time to time.

too bad you didn't some updates and even flashing the firmware will get the 680 smooth. When it hangs or lags, I just do a soft reset and solves the problem.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Interested in selling the 680?

The mic on mine isn't working (after a case swap.)

Let me know.

SoTacMatt@gmail.com
    You will be back! I made the same switch and ohh boy... I quickly returned to the Palm side of things!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Sotacmatt - sorry, I sold it in about an hour on eBay.

Who knows - I may be back someday. But my first few days with the Curve have been really good, except for the odd time I tap on the screen with my fingernail and feel like an *****. It's a pretty sexy device in its own right and it gets the job done. It's just definitely a steep learning curve after ten years of using the Palm OS.
    I've had my Treo 680 for well over a year. Although, I had the gibberish problem for a while until the update fixed it, I've never had a problem with it hanging during a call. It has been a very stable and reliable smartphone. I changed to a customer ROM image right after the last AT&T update. So now, I have an unlocked and unbranded Treo that is even more rock solid than before. According to tracecrash, I haven't had a reset since December. I would change to another device without a very compelling reason.
    you definitely won't miss the "wonky and unpredictable os" as you say, i can almost promise you that. i remember quite well the resets, calls hanging, and the like. and at a given point you finally decide to own something that works for you as opposed to you working for the device.

oh, and you won't miss the bulky size either.

enjoy!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Are you using the BB RIM service or a generic data plan? If you are using a generic data plan does the Curve provide an email client that can check your pop/imap email at regular intervals like Versamail?
    lazure - 6 months after getting the Curve, I'll admit I miss some of the things you mentioned - especially since I still carry the 700p as well. However, over that time I've found replacements for all the 3rd-party apps I had come to rely on and have gotten used to the BB differences. In the end, having something reliable wins out.

I may be doing "revisionist history", but I seem remember the Treo300 and Treo600 being fairly stable - perhaps I was just willing to "work for the device" as oalverez so aptly said. Because they were industry leaders at the time, it turned into another hobby for me - "let's see *what else* I can get my phone to do".

Now it's "been there, done that" and without Palm giving me something interesting, they've lost me as well. Maybe not forever - that's up to Palm.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoTacMatt View Post
    Interested in selling the 680?

The mic on mine isn't working (after a case swap.)

Let me know.

SoTacMatt@gmail.com
    Ive got a sprint 755P Ill be selling as soon as the curve is out.

Im jumping ship as well, BB here I come...
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay View Post
    Are you using the BB RIM service or a generic data plan? If you are using a generic data plan does the Curve provide an email client that can check your pop/imap email at regular intervals like Versamail?
    No it doesn't. RIM service or nothing. There is no application to allow you to use web base email.
    at&t iPhone3G
    There will be things you miss about palm but you'll get over it when your phone works consistently.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by lazure View Post
    I'm going to miss the touchscreen. I'm going to miss playing Klondike to pass time anywhere. I'm going to miss AvantGo, where I could update websites through a USB connection and not pay for data usage. I'm going to miss Pocket Tunes, a solid MP3 player. I'm going to miss Cell Plan to track my minutes (can't believe that product hasn't been better developed or made standard on phones). And I'm going to miss the host of other little apps that I'd downloaded over the years and enjoyed. I'm going to miss the never-ending list of accessories and ways to customize your Treo. And I'm going to miss reading about the vibrant Treo community on the Internet - true believers (of which I was) if I've ever seen any, backing a company for so long despite such mediocre product reliability.
    I don't miss the touchscreen since I stopped depending on it as much once I moved from other PPC and Palm devices to Treos. I used the keyboard one-handed most of the time. There are lots of games available for BB devices -- including Klondike. The lack of touchscreen makes it not quite as easy to play card games -- not impossible but not as easy, IMO.

The Treo community is a HUGE miss, however. There were always hacks and utilities offered to remediate the flawed OS (both Windows and Palm) and to add functionality.
    It's too bad really, because the Centro is such a departure from the old flaky devices. I was about to give up as well, but the Centro was free so I said why not. It's light years better than previous devices, it almost never crashes. I'm truly amazed, and grateful.

My friends with BB use them for email and absolutely nothing else. That device can barely do stuff in any compelling way.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700