1.    #1  
    I have a new BB Curve 8310 with GPS and I am lovin' it.

Just the functionality that I get out of Google Maps now is so awesome. I click on an icon and there I am, a little blue triangle trucking down the road (map). This single feature makes mobile mapping completely useful when you are lost. You don't have to find yourself! Which isn't that easy when you're freakin LOST!

Then there is the the 3rd party software (FindIt) that I installed. If you misplace your phone and send a trigger email to the unit, it will email you the coordinates of the phone and a link to a map of where the phone is. That's bad a*s!

And software like Beyond411 searches for business listings based on your GPS location and then offers you driving instructions to the place without having to tell it where you are (or where you are going obviously).

And not to mention the turn by turn directions I get using Garmin software.

There must be many more softwares and uses I haven't even discovered? Needless to say I'm really diggin' my BB Curve and its GPS and not missing my Treo one bit!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700 -> Treo 755p -> BB Curve 8310 (and never looking back)
    While I have a stand alone TomTom, I agree that the built in GPS on the BJII is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack View Post
    I have a new BB Curve 8310 with GPS and I am lovin' it.

Just the functionality that I get out of Google Maps now is so awesome. I click on an icon and there I am, a little blue triangle trucking down the road (map). This single feature makes mobile mapping completely useful when you are lost. You don't have to find yourself! Which isn't that easy when you're freakin LOST!

Then there is the the 3rd party software (FindIt) that I installed. If you misplace your phone and send a trigger email to the unit, it will email you the coordinates of the phone and a link to a map of where the phone is. That's bad a*s!

And software like Beyond411 searches for business listings based on your GPS location and then offers you driving instructions to the place without having to tell it where you are (or where you are going obviously).

And not to mention the turn by turn directions I get using Garmin software.

There must be many more softwares and uses I haven't even discovered? Needless to say I'm really diggin' my BB Curve and its GPS and not missing my Treo one bit!
    Sounds pretty cool.

I love using my Freedom GPS keychain thingee thingee with my Treo via Bluetooth (and by way of Delorme Street Atlas Handheld 2008), but it'd be nice to not have to worry about a good pairing connection or remembering to turn the gps unit off so it's not dead when I'm ready for it.

I guess the upside is that I can use the GPS unit with my laptop, too (by way of Delorme Street Atlas 2008 Plus).

Still, I'll admit to being slightly envious of your built-in functionality. Congrats.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Hows the battery life when using the built-in GPS. I know my Mogul sucks up a lot. That's the only drawback I see but otherwise.. built in is awesome.
    Don't see the appeal too much other than you can locate the phone or send waypoints, embed in pics..etc.

If i'm hiking, i want a real gps not my expensive phone that will run out of battery in no time.

Otherwise a standalone is much better for the car.
    Debatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Don't see the appeal too much other than you can locate the phone or send waypoints, embed in pics..etc.
    Not having to pair via Bluetooth (which is sometimes problematic) is another convenience.

If i'm hiking, i want a real gps not my expensive phone that will run out of battery in no time.
    I don't get the relevance of the cost of the phone but I get your point about battery power. That's easily remedied by carrying a spare battery - which, by the way, is much smaller and lighter than a carried external gps device.

I've been impressed with the traditional gps device I bought for my mom, but there are pro's and con's - expense being quite a factor.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

Agreed on both points. I do a good bit of wildlife photography in Refuges and if I need to set way points or I'm visiting an area for the first time, I'll carry a Garmin Handheld GPS.

The BJII is convienant when I don't have my handheld to get my bearings. I prefer my TomTom to the BJII as well but if I'm out of the car or traveling with someone else, then again, the BJII is convienant.

I don't think the GPS functionality was intended to replace handheld or standalone units but rather be something of convienance. It's far better to have the GPS ability and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Don't know about using the BJII in the wild. However, I was recently going to a client's home. I put the address in Google Maps and devised a route from where I was coming from. I later had Google Maps look at the GPS and the blue route was still on the map. I could see my position vis a vis the route and made sure I didn't miss a turn. It was cool. I also like being able to punch in anybody in my contacts and setting a route to them or looking at the map around their location. I am also a cyclist and figure its bound to come in handy if I ever make a wrong turn. I agree with Coppertop- it will not replace a good GPS but its way better than nothing.