Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I have a quick question.

How is PalmOS/Garnet response times in the latest batch of treo/centro phones? The last time I used palmOS was on a Tungsten T, and my favorite thing about that thing was that everything instantly loaded and switching screens was instant and pretty much everything was instant...

Ever since I made the move to Windows Mobile, I've endured slow screen refreshes, slow response time, slow everything. especially when I need it the most like when I'm taking a phone call or whatever... I'm interested in switching back to PalmOS (fully knowing it's not as versatile or powerful as WM) but the response time issue really is becoming a huge PITA... The current device I'm on is an HTC prophet and it's just sooo damn sluggish... Are current generation treo/centros just as bloated or are they just as quick and nimble as palmOS from yesteryear?

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_yellow View Post
    Hi All,

I have a quick question.

How is PalmOS/Garnet response times in the latest batch of treo/centro phones?
    Very fast, especially the Centro. The newer Treos use a 312mhz processor (up from the 260-ish I believe of the 650). The Centro also seems to have benefited from higher quality memory chips and makes the phone very fast.

Is it faster than WM? Yeah, definitely.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The reason you mention for wanting to leave WM for Palm OS is exactly the reason I haven't gone from Palm OS to WM. And I WANT to go to WM!

I just can't handle the slowness. I've tried a Treo 750 - a little slow - and a Tilt - incredibly slow. I even stuck with them long enough to do all the "Tilt Tweaks" and other stuff and I just couldn't deal with it. I'm using a Treo 680 and it's lightning fast compared to those. Yes, I've had to hack the holy hell out of it to make it do what I want, but it gets by.

I do still want to jump to WM. I don't want to wait forever for Nova and I'm afraid the support for Palm OS dwindles every day as developers leave. As far as lag goes, the Moto Q Global was very, very tolerable when I played with it. I think the Smartphone Edition or whatever it's called is quicker in general. I actually like the wide form factor, and the keyboard is awesome. My only hangup with it is the non touchscreen. If it had a touchscreen I'd be carrying it right now.

Instead, I'm sitting here with my Treo 680 wondering who I can give my money to. I'm sticking with ATT, so waiting for their version of the 800w will probably be fall at best. At that point Nova will be on the horizon so I want to upgrade now.

If you're coming back to Palm I think you'll be pleased with the snappiness but wish you had a better web experience. It's one the most limiting parts of Palm in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Very fast, especially the Centro. The newer Treos use a 312mhz processor (up from the 260-ish I believe of the 650). The Centro also seems to have benefited from higher quality memory chips and makes the phone very fast.

Is it faster than WM? Yeah, definitely.

Just got a Centro for my daughter. I'm jealous. Snappy little creature. . . . . . Fast on/off . . . . . . . . Fast between apps.. . . . . Fast into and out of blazer. . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/01/2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    That's pretty good to hear...

Out of curiosity, how is the screen response compared to the iPhone? I've played with my friend's iphone and I *really* like it's screen refresh and response time... Can I expect the same from the 680/centro?

If so, now the hard part is finding a vendor in canada that sells these devices! lol