Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm fed up. Just fed up with my crappy Treo 650. I've been a Treo diehard for 5+ years now. But it's time to move on to a more efficient, much more friendly phone. Goodbye Treo... It was a pain in the *** knowing you. BLACKBERRY CURVE HERE I COME!!!
    Bravo, tc. Let us know how you like the curve once you're acclimated - particularly with PIM and the web browsing capabilities compared with the treo's.
    Just made the jump, bought a Curve 8310 last week, so far I am impressed and happy with the purchase.
    I think you'll stay that way. Been using the Curve for 7 months and am very happy with it as well. Rock solid operation, great battery life, and enough 3rd-party apps to mostly replace all the extra stuff I loaded onto my 700p. I'd still prefer a touchscreen, but the BB UI is pretty well organized around the trackball and hard keys.

After 9 years with Palm, I'd still go back but if and only if they have something that is revolutionary like my Treo300 or they are at least competitive with what others are offering.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    I "tested" a VZW Curve with BIS for about 3 weeks. All-in-all, I don't think it's as capable as my Treo 755P is (or my Centro, for the brief time I was on Sprint). But one thing the Blackberry can do that the Treos can't, and it's important to me, is syncing tasks. My work won't support Treos any more so the desktop syncing method is out, and Exchange won't sync tasks.

While I don't think the Curve is as capable as the Treo, the fact is I have a TON of 3rd party stuff loaded on it, and use very, very little of it. It's fun...but it's a novelty. I've forgotten half of what is on there. Some of it I might use once a year. I almost look at going Blackberry as "growing up". The fun and games are over...now it's time to get serious (with some down time entertainment).

The Curve can do the major things I want. I can watch a movie in a pinch. I can listen to an audible book or music. I can get e-mail, tasks, calendar and memos. I can read news, I can play some games.

Today, while waiting for my car to be serviced (an hour longer than what they said), my Treo crashed 3 times, once in a reset loop that required a BackupMan restore. Talk about irritating and frustrating! So nothing I did in the way of e-mail went out and I spent more time "recovering" than actually working. I know this wouldn't have happened had I had the Curve with me. I was beyond frustrated and about ready to throw the thing across the room. When I got back to work I just looked at my secretary and said, "I'm really glad you ordered me the Curve (should be in any day now). The bonus in my case is that work will pay for the device and service. So even though it doesn't have as much offerings in the way of 3rd party apps, I believe it will be more reliable in the long run while still doing the "big hit" items important to me. And who can get upset at free? I'm willing to give up on a little fun for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    I think you'll like it
    Hi@ buddy!!!!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 755p and a BB 7130e.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but...

BB pros: E-mail sync (esp. server Saved folders) is far better. Battery life is far better.

Treo pros: Everything else. (keyboard, touch screen, any PIM function other than e-mail, 3rd-party apps, etc.)

Bottom line: I carry both, and I wouldn't carry a BB if I were still allowed to connect my Treo to the corporate BES. Keep in mind I paid for the Treo and pay for its service out of pocket because the BB can't meet my needs. Of course, I have plenty of coworkers who are exclusive BB users b/c their personal needs re minimal compared to their (limited) personal needs.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    French, really interesting what you said. Have had my 650 for 3 yrs now on vzw, and was going to jump to curve, but wanted to wait to see centro. Big issues I had with 650 were size and antenna. Curve and centro both take care of that. Don't use email except when travelling about 3 days a month. Do tether via pdanet a few days a month as well. Have wierd stuff on treo like tide table tool (i am a sailor), but really use the phone as a phone, text, lookup device, internet stuff, and email. My son has 6800, don't like slider and don't like wm. I really like 1 hand operation. Am annoyed more and more about palm not multitasking. Hate it when i have google maps, screen shuts down, click on green button, phone comes up, then have to hit app button, google just to get back in! Don't know if curve does it better. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the review.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I too have switched from Palm to a VZ Blackberry Curve and haven't looked back.
    Extremely stable, great e-mail and web browsing, and small. Keyboard works well.
    The phone is striaght forward and extremely easy to use. a very intuitive device.
    After being a Palm user for many years I realized that they are standing still
    when it comes to improvements, and that the overall direction of their products seems so uninspired. The market changes but not Palm.
    I have been monitoring this thread for some time. I am at the end of my 700p contract and like many of you, I found the 700p to be a major disappointment. I am increasingly frustrated by pauses/lockups, bluetooth disconnects and resets which recently have diminished to about one every 2 days. The problem is that I am very dependent on 3rd party software and I am not sure that BB will cut it.
    Too programs in particular:
    1. Handbase - I am a physician and have been using this for billing for 9 years. I understand there is a version available but with less functionality.
    2. Epocrates - I also understand that the most basic version is available which is fine for me if it provides the same functions that the basic POS version does.
    Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Would I be any happier with a 755 over a 700p?
    Yes the 755 is much better than the 700p but I do not know about your specific apps.

Best of luck,

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra View Post
    I have a Treo 755p and a BB 7130e.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but...

BB pros: E-mail sync (esp. server Saved folders) is far better. Battery life is far better.

Treo pros: Everything else. (keyboard, touch screen, any PIM function other than e-mail, 3rd-party apps, etc.)

Bottom line: I carry both, and I wouldn't carry a BB if I were still allowed to connect my Treo to the corporate BES. Keep in mind I paid for the Treo and pay for its service out of pocket because the BB can't meet my needs. Of course, I have plenty of coworkers who are exclusive BB users b/c their personal needs re minimal compared to their (limited) personal needs.
    You could not have said it better. I too am now reduced to carrying a BBCurve and a 755p since Sprint is killing BCPE.

Also the Pastor could not have said it better, but there were too few of him.

BB
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Nobody breaks down and buys a BB, it is usually the other way around but I have been a long time Treo user but some of the other phones offer more stability
    Looking for Tampa Real Estate
    Tampa Homes | Tampa Foreclosures | Brandon Real Estate
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    When will the BOLD appear with sprint? I'd like to dump my 755. Enough's enough.
    Well the Bold is suppose to come for AT&T any week now. Past practice says it will be close to a year before the CDMA model comes out, but who knows. Its sounds like there are still issues with the Bold and I for one, would not run out an get it right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Nobody breaks down and buys a BB, it is usually the other way around but I have been a long time Treo user but some of the other phones offer more stability

I agree with you 1 billion percent. STABILITY. I converted to a BB8830 last october before I lost my job and I'm glad I did. Because when the calls started coming in for interviews my 8830 was able to actually to take the calls w/o a call come in,flash and reboot like it did with my old 700p. I do miss posting on this board but I had to make a break and go with something stable. I have the 8830 which doesn't reboot and is way way more stable than the 700p. Here's irony: My new job I was hired on gave me a 755p *chuckle*. I got to try it and it sorta worked ok. Rebooted but rebooted alot less. I didnt even bother loading it up with apps because its my work phone and frankly Scarlett, "I just didn't give a damm". Eventually we went to exchange 2007 and all Palm phones seized to work receiving email. Congrats everyone got windows mobile phones. Yuck but I dont care. I barely use the thing. Honestly The HTC is the best WinMo phone i've seen. U can custom cook up roms and flash it and its extremely versatile. But its ok I got my happy blackberry which works. Its a different culture and mindset but in the end "I'm Happy" .
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
    Wow I just made the same move from the 800w.. I wanted to stick with the 800w but on the 28th day of My 30 day trial Iwent into the sprint store and looked at the blackberry curve and was sold as soon as I started tinkiring around with it. This thing has beed rock solid in my few days of use so far and push email is lovely.. The berry is a monster..
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    Well the Bold is suppose to come for AT&T any week now. Past practice says it will be close to a year before the CDMA model comes out, but who knows. Its sounds like there are still issues with the Bold and I for one, would not run out an get it right away.
    this.
    Very happy with my 8330 also (after the fiasco that is the Instinct).

I admit I'm fiending for the Bold though. Will take forever for Sprint to get it for sure so I'm good for a while.
    I'm thinking of switching from the 755p to the BB Curve 8330.
    Go for it. You won't be sorry.I haven't looked back since my switch in May. Good luck and let us know how you like it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast